Gaikai Boss Not Worried About OnLive Patent

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gaikai Boss Not Worried About OnLive Patent

OnLive [http://www.gaikai.com/] because the technologies at work are very different and "we do not expect the general concept of remote gaming to be patentable."

OnLive announced earlier this week that it had been granted a "fundamental patent [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106131-OnLive-Granted-Cloud-Gaming-Patent]" on cloud gaming technology, which naturally led to questions about Gaikai, the other big cloud gaming service that's currently in beta testing. OnLive boss Steve Perlman hinted that he'd be willing to do a deal with Gaikai, pointing out that "he has a history of trying to work out agreements" in matters such as this, but at this point Perry doesn't seem to think it'll be necessary.

"We share OnLive's vision that streamed gaming is a key element of the future of the videogame industry," the Gaikai boss told VentureBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2010/12/15/gaikai-isnt-concerned-about-onlives-fundamental-patent-on-cloud-gaming/]. "We do not expect the general concept of remote gaming to be patentable, as many of us played remote games in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Neither Gaikai nor OnLive were the first to develop technology in this area."

He noted that Gaikai has also filed cloud gaming-related patents and has taken care to stay away from technology that other companies may have valid patent claims on. "With regard to OnLive's new patent, we are not concerned with making set-top boxes, which is the focus of OnLive's patent, because from the beginning we decided to go frictionless and not require a specific hardware configuration," he said. "As a consequence, you are witnessing the evolution of two companies with notably different business models."

"Nearly everything is different in the ways that we approach the consumer marketplace," he added.

Analyst Rob Enderle said Perry has a point that server-based gaming easily predates both Gaikai and OnLive and that the two services are doing things differently for now, but believes that at some point in the future there's going to be a clash. "This does represent the future of gaming and, I expect, before we get there, a lot of attorneys will be vastly wealthier as ownership rights get worked out," he said.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
I am still not sold on the idea of cloud gaming.

I can see some of the benefits... but it just puts more power in the hands of IP owners, and less in ours.

This sortof spouted a thought on gaming as an art form, and how distirbution of said games might hamper its status... hmmm I should post about that one day.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
OnLive's patent is more along the lines of their specific technology, so far duplicating that are a couple foreign companies.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Well from what I've researched into OnLive for University they put a lot of effort into the hardware and network structures to allow such fast response times with hardware intensive programs. I think they deserve a patent for some of that, but not the concept itself.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
If that is the future of gaming, I guess I'll need to find a new hobby. Call me crazy but I actually like getting these lovely discs which I own and can play whenever I want without having to worry about whether my internet or their servers are working.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
Cloud gaming is the last nail in the coffin for offline, own forever gaming...... and the people that sign up for these services are the ones holding the hammer.

Zedayen

Nov 20, 2010
Douchebag McGee said:
This does represent the future of gaming and ~snip~
No. No it does not. The only games I see really happening with his model, are the failbook kind of games, which I'm sure will make him a tidy sum if he can hook that demographic.

EDIT: Is it just me, or does he exude a certain "Punch Me!" vibe?