Stumpted For Gifts? Try A Personalized Unicorn Portrait

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Stumpted For Gifts? Try A Personalized Unicorn Portrait

For a mere $25.00, artist Jen Vaughn will paint a portrait of the person of your choice riding a unicorn.

The season of giving is upon us, and I don't know about you, but I had no idea what to get anyone. Thanks to the internet, my problem is solved, and all my friends and family will be receiving portraits of themselves riding unicorns. Artist Jen Vaughn, who also goes by "InkyJen," is offering these personalized works of art on Etsy, and will ship them all over the world. Holiday shopping = done.

The listing is pretty self-explanatory, but for those requiring further information, Vaughn specifies the painting consists of "some magic black ink, watercolor and white bristol! After your purchase, please send me a few photos of the person you wish to see riding a unicorn. I'd suggest a few close ups on the face and one full-length!" The example image shows a winged unicorn, and Vaughn acknowledges this, offering to add wings to the package if people are nice about it.

If unicorns aren't your thing, Vaughn also offers to draw a loved one as a mermaid for even less: $15 for a black and white portrait, $20 for the full color experience. Mermaids seem to be Vaughn's thing, at least: When she isn't sticking folks on unicorns, she writes and draws a webcomic called Mermaid Hostel [http://www.mermaidhostel.com/archive/].

Source: Super Punch [http://www.etsy.com/listing/63684977/unicorn-ride-color-portraits]

(Image [http://www.etsy.com/listing/63684977/unicorn-ride-color-portraits])

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
This is a REALLY nice idea... the only unfortunate thing I can see is that I wouldn't really trust her 'portrait' to turn out anything but a cheap cartoon... going by the example pic :/

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
I find 25$ a bit steep from a semi-pro artist perspective.

But it is a wonderfull idea though :D
Unicorn looks nicely done on the anatomy perspective ^^
(and doesn't it represent a Pegasus more then a Unicorn? SOrry had to ask.)

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, the price is a bit much, but i bet some people would kill for such a picture.

And also...damn you. You just had to go and make me remember...that song.

ALWAYS, I WANNA BE WITH YOU AND MAKE BELIEVE WITH YOU AND LIVE IN HARMONY HARMONY OH LOVE!

Penguins4Freedom

Dec 27, 2009
You know what? This is bloody typical. I have a friend whos birthday is coming up soon, and who has a weird obsession with unicorns.

So what do I do? Spend all my money on a T-shirt for him. Admittedly the tshirt does have a unicorn pooping rainbows but Im sure a personalised drawing of him atop a unicorn would be better recieved.

The Red Spy

Dec 1, 2009
Why was the first person I thought of John Dorian (J.D.) from Scrubs...

OT: Isn't that more like a/the Pegagus?

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Penguins4Freedom said:
You know what? This is bloody typical. I have a friend whos birthday is coming up soon, and who has a weird obsession with unicorns.

So what do I do? Spend all my money on a T-shirt for him. Admittedly the tshirt does have a unicorn pooping rainbows but Im sure a personalised drawing of him atop a unicorn would be better recieved.
I really was suprised when you said "him". I honestly thought it would be a girl.

Anyway, her example drawing looks like crud. I could probably do as good a job myself or have a friend who hasn't got the artistic merits of a man with no talent (ie me) to do it for me.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Yeeeaaaaah, it's gonna have to look a lot better than the example image to warrant $15 or $25. Also, I can't think of one person I know or am even acquainted with that would want that for X-Mas.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
dammit, I already finished my xmas shopping, I would have gotten everyone that
ALL HAIL THE GLORIOUS ONE HORNED PONIES!!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
therandombear said:
I bet Susan Arendt want that...

Unicorn with wings? Since when? And it's a bit steep.
You're damn right, I do! I can't draw worth a lick, so I consider this to be amazing.

Also, I am totally fine with a winged unicorn, especially since the wing's underside is all rainbowy.

i am not god

Dec 6, 2007
I totally just bought this for a lady friend, the artist is really quite nice as well. I say $25 well spent, even though I'll never get to see it as it'll be hidden away somewhere to protect it from the elements.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
well how about that...
The bad news is if that's the artwork I'm not impressed, as I was hoping for a semi-realistic style painting.
The good news: I think I have an idea on what to do for money now with my art skills.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
I am stumpted.

Perhaps I can get one of a unicorn riding a unicorn?

Or an infinite loop of unicorns riding unicorns?

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
If I had money to burn, I'd put Fat Albert on a unicorn.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Oh, RIDING a unicorn! I was worried that they'd all be like the infamous "Alicorn" picture...

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Isn't it spelled "stumped"?

Anyways, these are hilarious, and I know someone who'd like one. Price is a tad high, though.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
therandombear said:
I bet Susan Arendt want that...

Unicorn with wings? Since when? And it's a bit steep.
You're damn right, I do! I can't draw worth a lick, so I consider this to be amazing.

Also, I am totally fine with a winged unicorn, especially since the wing's underside is all rainbowy.

For it to not happen was a crime against ponyocity.
In fact, I'm surprised that it wasn't done before.

OK, so this was thrown together and I'm terrible at cartooning, but give me some charcoal and a nude model, and I can draw people fairly well.
Except that would be really weird, given the context, so I'm going to stick with the cartoon rainbow unicorn.