Take-Two Makes Money Without New Grand Theft Auto

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Take-Two Makes Money Without New Grand Theft Auto

Cowboys, Mafiosi, and empire-building credited for publisher's "milestone" profits.

Take-Two Interactive was able to achieve one of its goals this year, by reporting a profit in a year that didn't include the release of a new Grand Theft Auto game.

Take-Two ended its financial year on October 31st, and generated $1.15 billion in revenue - an increase of 65% - of which $42.5 million was profit. The previous year, Take Two endured a loss of $140 million. The strong performances of games like Civilization 5, Mafia 2 and, of course, Red Dead Redemption were credited as the source of Take-Two's financial success. Take-Two also noted that digital sales had been a "meaningful component" of its sales over the last twelve months.

CEO Ben Feder - who leaves the role in January - said that the revenue growth andmargin expansion for the year had been better than expected, and CEO-Designate Strauss Zelnick said that Take-Two was now in a much better position, both financially and creatively, and would continue to build an increasingly diverse catalogue of games to facilitate further growth.

It will be interesting to see where Take-Two goes from here, having hit one of its major milestones, and someone new at the helm. With hard-boiled thriller LA Noire and the singular Duke Nukem Forever already lined up for next year, I wouldn't be surprised if Take-Two is able to give a repeat performance in 2011.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/42294/Take-Two-achieves-non-GTA-profit?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+mcvuk/oXMK+(MCV:+games+industry+news)]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
They'll pull off strong DLC sales next year, too.

Likely from a Civ 5 expansion.

And possibly another Red Dead expansion, too.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Red Dead will probably see a PC release next year as well, so don't discount those fifteen sales, yet. :p

That said, Mafia 2 was pretty close to what we're starting to expect from GTA games, so I'm not sure this was a year without a GTA game. :p

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
glad to see a publishing house not beating a dead horse like say some other big name publishers <.<

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Hurraaaay!

Take Two had an incredibly strong line-up of games this year, and I'm glad it paid off... too many Developers and companies going bust from trying something different these days, so its good to see Take Two have a good year without having to rely on GTA :)

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Cool.

But can we get an injunction against them releasing Duke Nukem Forever please? I'm not ready for the universe to end.

E-Hybrid

Jan 25, 2010
It's good to see a publisher who offers something different, not that I have anything against other publishers

Bravo315

Jun 4, 2008
But there was a GTA this year. GTA IV: Episodes launched on both the PS3 and PC for the first time last May.

someotherguy

Nov 15, 2009
Ever since they named a Grand theft auto after me with gay before, I don't like them.

Seriously though, Red dead is basically GTA with horses, good for them regardless.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Good to hear a company doing alright for itself.

But meanwhile... "$1.15 billion in revenue - an increase of 65% - of which $42.5 million was profit."

Ouch. 42.5 million profit from revenue of 1150 million?

3.7% profit margin. Mmm. Well, I guess that's workable. But it really is on the low end

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Good for you, Take Two! let's see you repeat that when NOT releasing a game in which a seriously flawed protagonist achieves a long goal over a long and interesting campaign taking place in an open world, portions of which are closed off and are unlocked throughout the campaign, by shooting people via orders of various support characters with quirky personality traits, and/or stealing people's mode of transportation all while listening to kick ass music. Woo, Grand Theft Horse!

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Well, this is good, since it shows something as risky as a game about cowboy's even when no game has sold well in that genre, it should make them more willing to take another risk.