Check Out the New Dragon Age 2 Combat Walkthrough Video

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Check Out the New Dragon Age 2 Combat Walkthrough Video

[video=2560]​
The new Dragon Age 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-2-Bioware-Signature-Pc/dp/B003UF9E0O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1292603939&sr=8-2] combat walkthrough video shows off both sides of battle in BioWare's upcoming epic, demonstrating how the game can be played as either an action-RPG or with a more tactical, "pause and play" approach.

Some gamers like their swords fast and their sorcery furious, unleashing death and destruction as fast as they can click. Others prefer to attack things more thoughtfully, formulating plans and issuing orders to maximize battlefield efficiency and effectiveness. It's the difference between BioWare [http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-Pc/dp/B00001IVBL/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1292603968&sr=8-4] intends to offer the best of both worlds.

The two combat excerpts demonstrate the different approaches to gameplay. In the first clip, the player launches himself into the battle in real-time, hacking his foes to pieces while the computer-controlled NPCs provide support. Swapping between characters is smooth and simple, allowing for timely changes even in the heat of battle. The second time through, a slower approach is taken as combat is paused and orders issued; front-rank enemies are funneled into a trap while a rear group of archers is dealt with using potions. One game, two very different combat experiences.

Dragon Age 2 is scheduled for release on March 8 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
That...looks pretty awesome. I like the option thing.

Might just have to consider getting this come March :)

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I'm seriously loving everything I see about DA2 so far. I like how the combat can be used either way, so I can move along faster in easier fights, but take my time and strategize on harder fights.

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
I want now... Cannot wait... Of course, I feel the same about Mass Effect 3. And they are both made by Bioware...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Seriously glad this wasn't dumbed down too much...

That second fight was a thing of beauty.

Apr 28, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Seriously glad this wasn't dumbed down too much...

That second fight was a thing of beauty.
Agreed.

Hopefully we can also still zoom-out. I love that feature.

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
The new combat option is a feature that may influence my purchase of this game when it comes out.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
The choice is only available to PC users, right? I thought Bioware had previously said that the console versions would use the action rpg combat style rather than tactical.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I'm thinking I'll go with a bit of a mix of the two. And this reminds me I still need to preorder the Bioware Signature edition of the game while it is still possible.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
SomebodyNowhere said:
I'm thinking I'll go with a bit of a mix of the two. And this reminds me I still need to preorder the Bioware Signature edition of the game while it is still possible.
Yeah me too, gonna do it Monday

OT Looks pretty solid, I like that I can do it action style, that will be more fun than just issuing the orders.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I still cant decide if I want this, I liked the first one but I couldnt bring myself to play tho it more then once

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
ItsAPaul said:
The tactical is way better, yet people still buy this on consoles...
Probably because they can't afford a gaming computer. It's my reason for going console with most games.

Though I don't know if I'm even going to get this... I enjoy the first Dragon Age, but it can barely hold my attention past 7 hours into it, and something about this second one... I can't put my finger on it, but it feels weird.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Really? Am I the only one seeing generic MMO-style "point and click" fighting here? What, they've added a pause button? WOOOHOO!

The attempt at "action!" seems particularly cynical. I see no crosshair (or aiming of any kind) for the ranged classes... At most an area of effect circle for AoE spells... Which is... something, I guess. All attacks seem conspicuously "homing" on the targets. And off course, there are those suspiciously-MMO-looking cooldowns.

And then the "strategy" mode, which is essentially the exact same thing, with a pause button.

Am I missing something?

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Caliostro said:
Really? Am I the only one seeing generic MMO-style "point and click" fighting here? What, they've added a pause button? WOOOHOO!

The attempt at "action!" seems particularly cynical. I see no crosshair (or aiming of any kind) for the ranged classes... At most an area of effect circle for AoE spells... Which is... something, I guess. All attacks seem conspicuously "homing" on the targets. And off course, there are those suspiciously-MMO-looking cooldowns.

And then the "strategy" mode, which is essentially the exact same thing, with a pause button.

Am I missing something?
Well, it basically is am mmo-style (though, contrary to what you may think, this style has been out since before mmos) it's just that you control the entire party, so you need the pause option.

The entire purpose for this style of control is to allow the player to be tactical with their combat. If you've ever played the Baldur's Gate games (the PC ones not those horrible Console ones), you needed the advanced options and coordination. They were hard games. I'm less than convinced that it will be successful as an action-rpg and am really sad that they're trying.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Caliostro said:

Am I missing something?
They didn't add a Pause button it was there in other Bioware game a long time ago.
Anyways it seems to me nothing has changed.
It seems weild they put a trailer on nothing really.