Archie Andrews Chooses a Bride!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Archie Andrews Chooses a Bride!

Archie Andrews is getting married and you'll never believe who he's chosen for his bride! (No, it's not Dilton.)

It was Archie Comics [http://archie-blogs.archiecomics.com/archie_news/2009/05/archie-andrews-is-getting-married.html], had finally settled on the love of his life and was ready to pop the question. A different question was on the minds of Archie fans around the world, of course: Would he choose the perky, loyal, down-to-Earth Betty, or the exciting, temperamental and ridiculously rich Veronica?

And the winner is... Veronica! The cover of Archie issue 600 has been posted on the official Archie and Jughead blog [http://archie-blogs.archiecomics.com/arch-and-jug/], showing Archie making his proposal to Veronica while a stunned Jughead and tearful Betty look on. Reggie, presumably, is watching from a distance and formulating a plan to trick Moose into beating the crap out of him again.

I didn't see this one coming. Not Archie getting married and certainly not his choice of Veronica over Betty. But is it true? Is it really happening? Will Pals n' Gals be joined by Bored n' Cuckolded as the next big Double Digest? Bear in mind that Archie was expected to settle on one of the girls back in the 1994 arc Love Showdown [http://www.archiecomics.com/acpaco/diduknow/diduknow_march.htm] but ended up surprising everyone by making a move on redheaded hottie Cheryl Blossom instead.

Let's also not forget that this is a comic book. Remember when Doomsday killed Superman? Or when Bane broke Batman's back? Or when it turned out that Spiderman was a clone? Or when Magneto ripped the adamantium out of Wolverine's skeleton? Or when the Punisher killed Nick Fury? Now guess how many of those world-changing events had any kind of permanence beyond an extended story arc or two. (Here's a hint: None of 'em.)

It sure looks like Archie is ready to commit, but does he have it in him to follow through? Or will he find some way to tap-dance out of it and return to his carefree, womanizing ways? The saga is set to unfold in a six-issue arc beginning in August with the release of issue 600. "One thing is certain," the Archie website says. "This will be the biggest Archie Comics story ever!"

via: CBC [http://www.cbc.ca/arts/books/story/2009/05/28/archie-comics-proposal.html]

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
Uh, Who/What is Archie again? I'm gathering from the article that it's a Romance comic book. While interesting, I still have to wonder what exactly is so important about it that it had to be posted in the news Section. Are you an Archie fan or something?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
That's a surprise? I know he dated both of them, but I could have sworn Archie and Veronica were always the official couple.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Betty was always better.

grinklehi said:
Uh, Who/What is Archie again? I'm gathering from the article that it's a Romance comic book. While interesting, I still have to wonder what exactly is so important about it that it had to be posted in the news Section. Are you an Archie fan or something?
It's kind of a hallmark in American pop culture. Like Happy Days, kind of, except they've kept it going for decades. And yet they still never graduated high school.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Betty was always better.

grinklehi said:
It's kind of a hallmark in American pop culture. Like Happy Days, kind of, except they've kept it going for decades. And yet they still never graduated high school.
60-odd years, I believe.

I can't believe the news coverage this is getting, even from big name news sources. N. Korea is getting all uppity, war rages in the Middle-East, all kinds of pandemics are poised to crash down on us.

But Archie's gettin' hitched! Drinks all 'round!

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Oh please.. this is either going to end with him getting with Betty or staying single. Or, he ends up with Betty and Veronica gets with Reggie in a dual wedding.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must go lift some weights to get this un-manliness out of my body..

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Is it REALLY news-worthy?

I mean, this isn't half as important as when Captain America died some time ago.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Slow news day, huh?

But seriously, I didn't know that enough people still read this (at least in the age group appropriate to this website) for this to be considered relevant.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Booo!!!! He should have picked Betty. Archie you sold your soul for a few septillion dollars.

joystickjunki3 said:
Slow news day, huh?

But seriously, I didn't know that enough people still read this (at least in the age group appropriate to this website) for this to be considered relevant.
I doubt alot of us still read it now but I would bet that alot of us grew up reading it. It does have some nostalgic value. Now if you will excuse me I need to go shoot something in the face and get my man-card back.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
squid5580 said:
Booo!!!! He should have picked Betty. Archie you sold your soul for a few septillion dollars.

joystickjunki3 said:
Slow news day, huh?

I doubt alot of us still read it now but I would bet that alot of us grew up reading it. It does have some nostalgic value. Now if you will excuse me I need to go shoot something in the face and get my man-card back.
Well, I didn't (no offense if you did); I read a different Archie Comics publication: Sonic the Hedgehog.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
...being british AND underaged this is about as newsworthy as me reporting an intriguing and heartfelt tale writtin in first class english about me clipping my toenailes. But I suppose to some '_' Erm..okay.

STC ftw. *flee*