Study Shows Consoles Aren't Just for Gaming Anymore

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Study Shows Consoles Aren't Just for Gaming Anymore

A recent study reveals new information on how we use our game machines, showing that the role of consoles as multi-media devices isn't just PR hype.

Unsurprisingly, the study, conducted by the Nielsen research firm, found that the primary use of game machines is ... gaming. What is surprising is that though gaming is the most used single function, approximatively 51% of time spent using the PS3 is spent on non-gaming pursuits, far more than the 360 despite Microsoft trying to pimp it as a living room media hub. The presence of a Blu-Ray player on the PS3 may have something to do with that, with 27% of PS3 time being dedicated to watching DVD's and Blu-Rays, versus 11% on the Xbox 360.

Another interesting facet of the data is the amount of video streaming and video-on-demand the Wii does. Compared to only 10% on the Xbox and 9% on the PS3, the Wii is a streaming juggernaut, weighing in at a full 20% of its time spent streaming movies and videos. The Wii also takes the lead in offline gaming time, with a full 57% of its time spent playing offline games, while the runner up in the category, the 360, only hit 34%.

Nielson also released stats on how much each console is used per household per week. The Xbox 360 comes in at the head of the pack, getting an average of 4.9 hours of use per week, closely followed by the PS3's average of 4.1 hours. The Wii trails behind, perhaps because of the casual gamer audience it has captured (who are less likely to spend unending hours obsessing over a game), coming in at 1.4 hours.

Source: Spong [http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/game-consoles-edge-closer-to-serving-as-entertainment-hubs/]

Imp Poster

Sep 16, 2010
Wow, I am surprised that many people use Wii for streaming videos/video on demand that much. Wii isn't even HD is it? Well, then again it could depend on cost I guess.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
It's not that much of a surprise, really. Consoles are becoming more like PCs imo.

You can surf on the internet, watch movies, listen to musics, who knows what comes next? They will start to wash our clothes and make coffee.

Apr 28, 2008
Imp Poster said:
Wow, I am surprised that many people use Wii for streaming videos/video on demand that much. Wii isn't even HD is it? Well, then again it could depend on cost I guess.
Well not that many people really care about HD. Plus everyone and their mother has a Wii, so its logical to assume there'd be more people using it.

OT: Doesn't surprise me. Game consoles aren't even game consoles anymore. They're multimedia devices. The last actual game console for gamers was the Dreamcast.

Not saying its bad though.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Aedes said:
It's not that much of a surprise, really. Consoles are becoming more like PCs imo.
This basically sums it up. They started off as dedicated gaming consoles (and they still are, for the most part), but they really are turning into PC's with the amount of features they're adding. Consoles will always be specialized, however. I don't see 3dsmax being put on console...ever.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Not really surprising. With my ability to stream content straight from Vuze to my PS3, it makes my PS3 far more useful for media than it is for games. The blu ray player helps a bit, too. It is one thing the PS3 nailed pretty well.

Viking Incognito

Master Headsplitter
Nov 8, 2009
To specify my "other"

I know it sounds weird but I use it to hold back the window curtain behind it so the light doesn't make a glare on the screen.