Rumor: Slim PS3 is Real, Won't be at E3

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: Slim PS3 is Real, Won't be at E3

Tech site Ars Technica claims that an inside source has confirmed that the leaked pictures of the "Slim PS3" are indeed real - but that the console won't be debuting at next week's E3.

Quick recap: Last week, supposedly leaked photos of what looked to be a smaller redesign of the Sony PS3 made waves [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91810-The-Slim-PS3-Mystery] around the game blogosphere, with game journalists and gamers alike speculating on what exactly the cease-and-desist orders from legal firms in Taiwan meant. Some interpreted it as Sony trying to quash the leak of a genuine product, while others assumed it was an effort by a bootlegging company to slip under Sony's radar.

However, tech blog Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/05/mole-confirms-psp-go-details-with-a-smaller-ps3-on-the-way.ars] says that a "trusty inside source" has confirmed the existence of said slim PS3 - it's no knockoff - and claims that the redesigned console will be hitting shelves in August or September ... but it won't be announced at E3.

Why? Because there are still regular PS3s sitting unsold on store shelves. Ars Technica's source says that the hardware giant is planning on letting existing stockpiles sell out first - and only then will Sony unveil and begin supplying retailers with the new model. It's an interesting business model if true, and I'm skeptical that Sony wouldn't be intending to announce such a big surprise at such a big press event.

Perhaps, though, they wouldn't want to take attention away from the upcoming PSP-Go!, which Ars Technica's mole claims will be making its debut next week. The PSP-Go! will trade the relatively unpopular UMD format for flash memory, and is reportedly smaller, lighter, and has a longer-lasting battery than its elder brother and predecessor.

As always, take these rumors with a grain of salt - we have no way of knowing for sure whether this is real or not. We'll find out for sure one way or another next week, though, as E3 returns to its former glory.

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5271846/report-ps3-slim-is-real-wont-be-at-e3])

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
That's cool, but it's only a 3. http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/2/6/

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
The question is...Is it going to be cheaper and have proper backward compatibility?

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Depending on the price, this might give me the push I need to jump into PS3 gaming. Other than price, I have no reason not to (at least for the exclusives and some Japan PSN titles -- ahem, Rakugaki).

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
oliveira8 said:
The question is...Is it going to be cheaper and have proper backward compatibility?
It better. Sony shot themselves in the foot by taking BC out of the new models. Easily the most boneheaded move they've made this generation. Renewing BC would spark enthusiasm for the console.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
That console, would look great under my telly....

But, as per usual, I prefer the original.

The PSone was god awful ugly, just looked like a run over original.

The PS2 slim wasn't as bad, but possibly too small?

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
oliveira8 said:
It better. Sony shot themselves in the foot by taking BC out of the new models. Easily the most boneheaded move they've made this generation. Renewing BC would spark enthusiasm for the console.
Which ps3 models lack BC? Because I got the 80g and I play tons of PS2 games on them.

persona J

May 25, 2009
really i dont want a slim unless they can put bc into it since my ps2 has just about died and i have unfinnished rpg's on it but even then i dont no if i could stand looking at it, i might have to hide it someware i dont have to see it and put games in from under a sheet. plus its not worth the money for something so small. i waited for the slim ps2 and the 360 elite coz i knew they would do this eventualy but as theyve been saying they need a significant price drop to draw me anyware near it.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Ugh, I don't know. Suddenly I get the feeling I was quick to jump to conclusions about this being a bootleg, and that this is really real. I hope it is, but I hope it's not as ugly as that.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Ugh, I don't know. Suddenly I get the feeling I was quick to jump to conclusions about this being a bootleg, and that this is really real. I hope it is, but I hope it's not as ugly as that.
I'm feeling you on this one, to me it doesn't have enough credibility for me to believe it. A major killing point for it is the fact that Sony won't talk about it at E3.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
RAKtheUndead said:
oliveira8 said:
No and no, I expect. The problem with backwards compatibility in particular is that emulation of the PS2's quasi-multicore processor is difficult, and they can't fit the PS2 chipset into a slimmer PS3 (and they removed it from all but the NTSC 60GB model).
Then fail.

When they release a cheaper PS3 and full proper fucntioning Backwards Compatibility, I might buy one...

TundraWolf

Dec 6, 2008
The PS3 Slim is a real thing, most definitely. They had some PlayStation reps at Video Games Live this year (here in Edmonton, anyways), and right next to them was a stack of PS3 Slim boxes. There wasn't anything in them, but the boxes were right there, with official PlayStation logos around the display, and the reps standing right there. I think that's enough proof that it's a real thing.

Whether or not it's going to be worth getting is another question.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Yes, let's forget about working Ps2s being pretty damn cheap and complain about how the PS3 doesnt have Backwards compatibility, or how you think it's so expensive.

You can't have both people. Stop being greedy. Seriously.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Never understood why they constantly make non portably consoles smaller. Do you REALLY need that extra 500cm3 of space?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
oliveira8 said:
RAKtheUndead said:
oliveira8 said:
No and no, I expect. The problem with backwards compatibility in particular is that emulation of the PS2's quasi-multicore processor is difficult, and they can't fit the PS2 chipset into a slimmer PS3 (and they removed it from all but the NTSC 60GB model).
Then fail.

When they release a cheaper PS3 and full proper fucntioning Backwards Compatibility, I might buy one...
You're gonna buy one when Trico comes out.[/quote]

Nope. Not going to buy a console for one artsy game when I'm not even sure I can play the other 2 artsy games released by the same company.

Also..the pet thing looks hideous...