No More Heroes 2 Details Reveal Twice the Beam Katanas

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
No More Heroes 2 Details Reveal Twice the Beam Katanas

Grasshopper Manufacture's sequel to No More Heroes is taking the only logical approach to following up a game about slicing up people with lightsabers: it's adding twice as many of them.

No More Heroes designer and Grasshopper Manufacture guru Suda51's been quick to learn what took George Lucas four movies to understand. When you have people using beam swords, the only thing better than that, and even better than dual-bladed beam swords, is using two beam swords at once.

That's what Travis Touchdown will be doing in No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle, according to Famitsu scans [http://www.flickr.com/photos/24586010@N02/3568309041/in/set-72157618844982614/] that revealed the first details on the game. From what I can tell from the screenshots in the scans, gameplay will likely be similar to the first title, with copious amounts of blood and the major difference being, obviously, that Travis has two beat katanas instead of one.

Story-wise, Travis (obviously) returns, as well as Sylvia Christel, the sultry scammer who turned Travis' life upside down in the first game. Sylvia seems to be playing a more significant role in No More Heroes 2, and sports some stylishly gigantic sunglasses. The game will likely find Travis battling rival assassins again, as Famitsu reveals two potential opponents, one a little girl in a grove and another a man named Nathan Copeland who uses what looks like a transformable boombox to fight.

I just have to ask: If, in this game, Travis gets his hands on the beam katana from the first game that had five blades [http://nomoreheroes.wikia.com/wiki/File:BloodBerryTsubakiMkII.jpg] coming out of it and then dual-wields them, will he literally be holding ten lightsabers at once?

Look for more on No More Heroes 2 coming out of E3 next week.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Tenmar said:
Umm does that mean I have to shake the wiimote and nunchuck just to power up each beam saber? I mean that is a lot of shaking and that game had a lot of wrist movement for QTEs.
Probably, but hey it's good wanking practice.
I'm sorry.

On Topic: Sweet with Suda 51s track record this should be awesome. I might have to pick up a Wii. The operative word there is 'might' with the Wiis lack of anything good in it I might just play this at a friends.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
If the nunchuck is not as good as the Wii-Mote, does that mean we have to buy another one?

WithHisHat

May 27, 2009
That is great news! Honestly, the only thing this series needs is more of what it already has. The more violence, fighting, and beam swords they put the better.

But I wonder, if there is a third game, will he carry 3 beam swords?

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
WithHisHat said:
That is great news! Honestly, the only thing this series needs is more of what it already has. The more violence, fighting, and beam swords they put the better.

Yes. And Travis will use it with his feet.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I don't care how many Beam Katanas he has as long as he doesn't hold one in his mouth like that guy from onepiece...

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
That wiimote shaking really screwed up my wrist so now my nights are twice as lonely...

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Arrers said:
WithHisHat said:

Yes. And Travis will use it with his feet.
Or with his...

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Travis has two beat katanas instead of one.
Typoriffic! I can't wait to see these beat katanas. You know what would be even more awesome than that though? Beet katanas. Lord only knows how they would work, but we're talking about Suda 51 here :D

I haven't played the first one, but it looks like a lot of fun. I'm also told that it's incredibly difficult.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
I don't trust Suda 51 with sequels.
I don't trust Suda 51 period.
No amount of Beam Katanas could've saved the first game unless they replaced the gas nozzles, coconuts, and litter from the minigames and replaced the blank stares of the populous.

The only thing that game had going for it were some of the boss battles but even those would've been tedious if they weren't stuffed in between grind sessions in the most boring sandbox ever conceived.

It was the long plain gray corridor followed by the non-boss battle cutscene that killed the original for me. Hopefully this game wont have that sort of disc chucking gyped sort of feeling.

That's why I hated NMH so much: I paid full price for what should've been a budget title. It was like they put a lot of effort into a couple of the boss battles then phoned in the rest of it or shoved it on an intern while Suda went off to do bong hits by the river.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
IGN have a video. Looks like it's going to live up to the unadulterated awesomeness of the original.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14288376/no-more-heroes-2/videos/nomoreheroes2_052809.html;jsessionid=50f279gfb5pcj

this_was_a_mistake

May 22, 2008
More Fun To Compute said:
IGN have a video. Looks like it's going to live up to the unadulterated awesomeness of the original.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14288376/no-more-heroes-2/videos/nomoreheroes2_052809.html;jsessionid=50f279gfb5pcj
OH MY GOD! THAT WAS AWESOME!