Pachter: GTA V Could Sell More Than Any Game Ever

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Pachter: GTA V Could Sell More Than Any Game Ever

Industry analyst Michael Pachter believes he knows when we'll see Grand Theft Auto V, and thinks it'll be the biggest game of all time.

Based on various factors, Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter thinks that Grand Theft Auto V will be out in another two years at the very latest. He also expects that it'll be the "biggest and deepest" Grand Theft Auto title ever, leading to absolutely massive sales.

Commenting on Rockstar parent company Take-Two Interactive's positive financial results [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106217-Take-Two-Makes-Money-Without-New-Grand-Theft-Auto] for 2010, Pachter said: "We fully expect the next installment of Grand Theft Auto to be released by Q4:12 at the latest, as the company's contracts with the three employees most instrumental in the game's development (Les Benzies, Sam and Dan Houser) expire in January 2012. In our view, management would have been irresponsible to enter into a contract with the three without some type of milestone for delivery of the game prior to expiration."

"Similarly, we think that the three employees have everything to gain in negotiating a new contract if they deliver another Grand Theft Auto game prior to contract expiration, and everything to lose if they cannot deliver a game by then," he added. "Their leverage with Take-Two is lessened without a game, and their ability to work for a competitor is similarly diminished."

Pachter is "highly confident" that Grand Theft Auto V is already deep into development based on the fact that Grand Theft Auto IV [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-Playstation-3/dp/B000HKP88C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292787553&sr=8-1] was ready to release in late 2007, but delayed to April 2008 due to development issues with the PlayStation 3. He called Benzies and both Housers "workaholics" that expect the same from the estimated 200 employees possibly working on Grand Theft Auto V, with only around a few dozen required to remain on Grand Theft Auto IV and its expansion packs after late 2007.

Pachter also said it's "unfathomable" to think that development on Grand Theft Auto V hasn't been underway for years already, and said: "Athough we expect the next game to be the biggest and deepest ever, we don't think it is likely that the team will take more than four years to deliver it." He's actually critical of Take-Two for diverting the attention of key Grand Theft Auto V employees on titles like L.A. Noire [http://www.amazon.com/Noire-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0HBZW] that have been regularly delayed, because he predicts that GTA V "may become the best selling game of all time, selling over 20 million units."

Rockstar Games has been keeping us satiated with Grand Theft Auto content through the broke sales records [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DC8GMM/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001QD5JAQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0MZGR2WHB2TW7VXVJMD2] when it was released in 2008, so it's no surprise that Pachter feels it'll do the same with its next entry. The only question is when Rockstar will actually release it, or at least give us a trailer or something.

Source: IndustryGamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/next-gta-could-become-best-selling-game-of-all-time-says-pachter/]

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
Yeah, maybe. It has been a while since GTA was a hot topic; maybe the next entry would be a big deal because of that, or then again, maybe people have moved on to something else.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Alright, who the f*ck pays this moron?

This is a plea to you Escapist: Nobody cares what he has to say, so please stop reporting on him.

He's either blatantly wrong, or he makes predictions that are so obvious Glenn Beck could have made them about the industry - and we all know how well researched he is on the topic.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Nothing wrong with bigger and deeper. Especially if it's GTA.

Heheh, bigger and deeper. I seriously need to grow up.

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
I predict that tomorrow will be the most recent day in history.

Even if GTAV breaks all possible and impossible records, people will still rather complain about nude patches and implications in high school shootings =/

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
I imagine it will be a big seller as its GTA, and im sure to get it myself, aslong as its not in Liberty City a-fucking-gain. But the biggest seller EVAR ? possibly ... until another COD comes out.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Woodsey said:
GameTrailers I guess? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.170688-Michael-Pachter-Gets-Own-Show#4669544]

I recall Pachter's last GTA-related prediction.

Pachter Predicts New GTA in 2010 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.94452-Pachter-Predicts-New-GTA-in-2010#1468835]

How'd that work out for you?

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
The problem I have with some sandbox games (Just Cause 2, Saints Row 2, GTA in general, even Ratchet & Clank have these problems) is that the controls feel...eh...higgledy-piggledy...if you catch my drift.

Okay, I'll try and explain. The three games I mentioned there all feature lots of shooting, correct? Now, name me the most fluid and best controlled TPS' you know. Things like Gears of War, Uncharted possibly, even Dark Voids controls felt fluid. Now, sandbox games generally have less of a 'TPS' feel and more of a 'third-person-platformer-with-guns-added' feel. Things like clicking in an analog stick to aim, which just feels wrong and strange.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Dick Marcinko's Rogue Warrior could have sold more than any game ever. It didn't.

I could make a game. It could sell more than any game ever.

I just don't understand why that man gets so much attention in gaming press.

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
Amnestic said:
Woodsey said:
GameTrailers I guess? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.170688-Michael-Pachter-Gets-Own-Show#4669544]

I recall Pachter's last GTA-related prediction.

Pachter Predicts New GTA in 2010 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.94452-Pachter-Predicts-New-GTA-in-2010#1468835]

How'd that work out for you?
Well a new GTA did come out, It was a retail repackage of all the DLC....That still counts right?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I don't like the turn the new GTA games took, but it's better than 'Guys in Military Uniforms Shoot Guys in Ragged Clothing XIV: Now There's a Satellite and Shit'.

Megacherv said:
The problem I have with some sandbox games (Just Cause 2, Saints Row 2, GTA in general, even Ratchet & Clank have these problems) is that the controls feel...eh...higgledy-piggledy...if you catch my drift.

Okay, I'll try and explain. The three games I mentioned there all feature lots of shooting, correct? Now, name me the most fluid and best controlled TPS' you know. Things like Gears of War, Uncharted possibly, even Dark Voids controls felt fluid. Now, sandbox games generally have less of a 'TPS' feel and more of a 'third-person-platformer-with-guns-added' feel. Things like clicking in an analog stick to aim, which just feels wrong and strange.
I see what you mean, but compared to last gen GTA games, Saints' Row and Just Cause (both) are masterpieces of gameplay. Even GTAIV would be nice if the villains didn't have more health than a... um... than a bad metaphor.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I think he's wrong. GTA feels like a series that's past its peak. Other games have come along that do what it does, and arguably do it better, and the people that didn't like the change of tone in GTA IV will need some convincing to rush out and buy V.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Yeah, Pachter?

Selling 20 million copies would only make GTA V the 8th best selling video game ever.

At the moment, the top 10 is completely dominated by Nintendo games, and the only non-Nintendo games that have made it into the top-20 are GTA: San Andreas and GT3: A-Spec. Those two were both PS2 games, with the PS2 being the best-selling console in history.

Pachter's prediction is pure speculative nonsense.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Its not being released for what, almost 2 years? And theyer already trying to say it will be the biggest game ever?

Someone needs to smack theyer face against the wall until they come back to reality.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
Let's just hope this one won't be utter shit like the last one.

To be honest IV killed the series for me, and nothing has even come close to vice city. San Andreas was only good, not great.

Saints Row 3 for me, Saints Row 2 is the only 'GTA Style' game which has equalled Vice City, it was genuinely excellent, even Yahtzee agrees.

The King is dead, all hail Saints Row