The Musical History of Videogames, as Performed by Billy Joel

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The Musical History of Videogames, as Performed by Billy Joel

If Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" were about videogames, it would sound like this.

There are few songs more parodied than "We Didn't Start the Fire," Billy Joel's historical epic that covers events from his birth in 1949 to the hit single's release in 1989. In fact, I'm fairly certain there have been more than a few videogame-centric parodies of the song up until now.

Not that this makes this video you see here any less entertaining, mind you. The music video for "The Wii Didn't Start the Fire" covers decades and decades of videogame history, from legend Ralph Baer to Nintendo's upcoming 3DS - with a cameo from a particularly sharp-tongued Brit who most of you all should find quite familiar.

The lyrics are quite cleverly penned, but what really makes the video is how well it integrates sound effects and even music from the games in question - as well as popular internet videos. I think I started nodding my head in approval around the time they mixed the chorus with the Donkey Kong hammer-time theme - but even the very beginning is fantastic, mixing the boot-up sounds from at least six or seven gaming platforms (that I can pick out) into one nostalgic symphony.

It's about a month old, so there are probably some of you that have seen this before - but I certainly hadn't, which means that it's a safe bet that quite a few of you haven't, either. And if you have already seen it, there's nothing wrong with watching it again - because it's great.

Except I can't agree with them on one thing: Perfect Dark was way better than GoldenEye, guys. Like, WTF?

(Via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/weekend-destructainment-the-brothers-mario-188966.phtml])

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Meh. Funny but i can't relate to most of the games because the only consoles i ever had were the Atari2600 and the Playstation and i didn't even play that much back in the days.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Major thumbs down for no mention of Ultima, Prince of Persia, Dizzy, Everquest and Monkey Island in the correct period.

But still enjoyable.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Not as good as other parodies. The tempo was set too fast and the lyrics were a mess to keep up with. It sounded badly edited in parts, though the use of video game sounds and quotes directly in the song was rather good.

Good to watch, but wouldnt again.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Really nicely done, but it ended a little too soon. They started skipping a lot of games near the end.

Apr 28, 2008
josemlopes said:
Very cool indeed, glad to see Conker: Bad Fur Day in there, no Timesplitters though
Indeed. No Timesplitters makes me a sad panda.

Ah well, still a good video though.

EDIT: Also, where's Fallout? And Battlefield? And Beyond Good and Evil?

I suppose you can't get 'em all... I am happy they got Grim Fandango though.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
that was glorious

btw
John Funk said:
Perfect Dark was way better than GoldenEye, guys. Like, WTF?
uh, Perfect Dark is pretty much GoldenEye with tits

but you're right, a lot of "bugs" in GoldenEye were fixed in Perfect Dark

(and VS Co-Op was also an amazing feature)

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
That was pretty awesome, there were a few titles I wish had been added in the song, maybe they just didn't fit the melody or were forgotten about..

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
Sorry John. But goldeneye was wayyyy better than perfect dark.

But in all seriousness, this is a great video. Showed it to my dad and he felt pretty old remebering everything that happened. But I lost him around the time grim fandango came up.

Oct 14, 2010
They seemed to skip around the timeline at parts, but cramming a bunch of references into a song is hard. They get points for effort and humor.

And yes, Perfect Dark was better than GoldenEye; especially in multiplayer.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
There is an older parody along the same lines, the lyrics are not nearly as good, but the dude can sing better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIPjuJm5m-w

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
unacomn said:
Major thumbs down for no mention of Ultima, Prince of Persia, Dizzy, Everquest and Monkey Island in the correct period.

But still enjoyable.
they did mention prince of persia...

Excellent song, though i dont know many of those said since i was born after the ''glory day's''

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Well, technically, the Wii did start a fire. :p Nevertheless, a very clever music video and awesome execution.

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
Misty, water colored memories.

While I realize they can't fit every significant game release into such a short time, I'm surprised there was no mention of Mystery House or King's Quest. Even so, nicely done. Better than anything I could put together.