Study Proves Games Allow Women to Better Judge Spatial Relationships

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Study Proves Games Allow Women to Better Judge Spatial Relationships

A researcher from the University of Toronto has proved that playing videogames allows women to manipulate 3D images as well as men do.

Statistically, women have a tougher time moving, manipulating and imagining a full 3D environment, called spatial cognition, than men do. This fact usually translates into women finding less enjoyment in videogames nowadays because nearly all current generation titles involve moving a character through a 3D space. I know that my wife is easily frustrated by videogames for exactly this reason [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_165/5183-Indorktrination]. But Jay Pratt, a professor of psychology, has conducted a study which shows that the disparity between the sex's spatial cognition levels out when women become familiar with playing action videogames. He spent ten hours training women with no videogame experience and when they came back to take the spatial cognition tests, they fared almost as well as the men across the board.

"We found that the women improved substantially, and almost caught up to the men's scores," Pratt said.

Another part of spatial cognition that Pratt tested was the "useful field of view" that measures how wide an area an individual is able to watch at any given time. Typically, men test better than women in this regard as well, but playing videogames also aided women significantly.

"Videogame players are able to pick up very subtle, statistical irregularities in environments and use them to their advantage," Pratt said. "And these same irregularities in environments are the things that help us guide our behaviors on a daily basis."

Does this mean that getting your girlfriend to play videogames isn't only a way for the two of you spend time together, but will actually make her a better person? Well, yes. Yes, it does.

Source: NPR [http://www.npr.org/2010/12/20/132077565/video-games-boost-brain-power-multitasking-skills?sc=fb&cc=fp]

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
I disagree with the last statement. One of my friends who never played video games now considers them drugs and me her dealer >.<.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Does this mean that getting your girlfriend to play videogames isn't only a way for the two of you spend time together, but will actually make her a better person? Well, yes. Yes, it does.
Funny statement is funny, but there's probably a distinction between being a "better person" and "a person who is better (at judging spatial relationships in 3D space)", though I'll be darned if I can single out just what that might be. After all, spatial cognition is the most important aspect of any relationship, the most looked for quality in our leaders, and the underpinning of how most societies determine morality and handle ethical decision-making... forget my earlier objection, I think you're on to something here.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
PROBLY FROM NAVIGATEN TEH KITCHAN FOR SO LONG LOLOL

Seriously though, why is this study even taking place? It seems kinda inane...Oh well. Good result, I suppose?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Am I the only one that thought that I will be getting more girls now? Spacial reasoning can be bad for a lot of guys if you know what I mean ;) That's probably why it was nerfed in the first place.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Archangel357 said:
My fiancée absolutely sucks at spacial cognition. The problem is that she's so bad at it that she literally cannot navigate an FPS.
Hence why women can't park cars.

Oooh! I went there. Nah, I kid.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
jamesworkshop said:
Study shows pratice makes perfect
It is an important difference though, since some things are fairly immutable about a person. You look at things all day, and work in a 3d environment, for example. Shouldn't you get better and better and spacial cognition just from that? Does your vision even GET more precise as you age? No, there are biological limiters that hinder this.

So seeing that this is actually provably true (and not just a guess) is important.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
StarStruckStrumpets said:
Archangel357 said:
My fiancée absolutely sucks at spacial cognition. The problem is that she's so bad at it that she literally cannot navigate an FPS.
Hence why women can't park cars.

Oooh! I went there. Nah, I kid.
So, actually that IS kinda what they are saying. This is my own personal stretch not part of the study. But spatial awareness is what helps give you the picture in your mind of things like the dimension of the car, and the amount you can move it before it collides with something else nearby. Statistically speaking, women *are* worse drivers.

Of course, the variability and troughs and pinnacles of that particular curve mean making assumptions based on this statement are just going to get you in trouble. Being right 60 % of the time, and an asshole 100% is really not a good life goal.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Zechnophobe said:
jamesworkshop said:
Study shows pratice makes perfect
It is an important difference though, since some things are fairly immutable about a person. You look at things all day, and work in a 3d environment, for example. Shouldn't you get better and better and spacial cognition just from that? Does your vision even GET more precise as you age? No, there are biological limiters that hinder this.

So seeing that this is actually provably true (and not just a guess) is important.
Well look at it in reverse order then videogames must and do require greater levels of spatial reasoning than the real 3D world because the objects and enviroments are not really 3D.

Every day life is a base level, babies for instance spend quite a while for the brain to adjust for the upside down images the retina provides plus the two seperate images that provide a fairly well made but flawed 3D vision, adults have already done that

Men show a lower increased curve because they are not being as greatly challenged by the additional demands of games.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6SYR-483SPCK-182&_user=10&_coverDate=02%2F14%2F1992&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1585140240&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=1c70ab400bb20d763627bb2741d8e113&searchtype=a

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Now if only videogames would be designed and made popular by women which specifically promoted things like multitasking and then the circle would be complete with men learning that as well.

Interesting article, regardless.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Heh.

Studies also show that being a taxi driver makes you better at spatial awareness and navigation.

A fact which my mother can attest to being quite true.

It seems, if you need a particular skill-set, you can develop it with a bit of practice.

Loonerinoes said:
Now if only videogames would be designed and made popular by women which specifically promoted things like multitasking and then the circle would be complete with men learning that as well.

Interesting article, regardless.
Hmm... Multitasking. Isn't that... Starcraft? I mean, the really amazing skills some people display there seem to come down to a combination of being able to micromanage your units really quickly.

That is, if you can keep track, and control multiple units more quickly, and more precisely than your opponent...

Eh. Bad example perhaps. But it's definitely in that direction.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
fantastic. All the more reason to keep trying to get your disinterested girlfriend to adopt your gaming habits and life style XD