Red Dead Redemption Artist Blasts Rockstar San Diego

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Red Dead Redemption Artist Blasts Rockstar San Diego

Rockstar San Diego forced staff to work 72 hour a week, but only paid them for 40, alleges a former artist.

A former Rockstar San Diego employee , calling himself Zero Dean, who worked on Red Dead Redemption [http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dead-Redemption-Xbox-360/dp/B001SH7YMG/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1292932814&sr=1-1] as an environment artist, has blasted the studio in a blog post, which chronicled his "abuse," "manipulation" and "deception" at the hands of the Rockstar management.

According to Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/12/20/former-rockstar-san-diego-employee-airs-dirty-laundry.aspx], Dean's dissatisfaction with Rockstar San Diego began almost immediately after he joined the company in 2007. He said that he felt estranged from the design process and that there wasn't proper support for training or skill development.

It wasn't until he'd been with the studio for over a year that the cracks really started to show, however. He said that the top brass at the studio started to panic about the amount of time and money Red Dead Redemption was taking. Because of this, working hours went from eight to twelve, and the working week stretched from five days to six. According to Dean, no one on a salary received any compensation for this extra time.

The final straw for Dean was when his manager took credit for his work and then tried to argue about who had created what. Dean said that he was upset with him for a while, but has since realized that the man actually did him a favor, prompting him to quit in 2009.

Dean later took down the post from his blog, claiming that people had been making erroneous conclusions to fit their story or reposting it without permission. In a statement to Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-21-rockstar-leak-clarifies-red-dead-rant], he downplayed the idea that the kind of working environment he described was companywide. Different teams worked in different ways, he said, so it was possible that others had had a much better time than he had.

Of course, this isn't the first time that Rockstar San Diego has been accused of less than kosher workplace practises. At the beginning of the year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97391-Rockstar-Wives-Complain-About-Working-Conditions], an anonymous group calling themselves the "Rockstar Wives" wrote an open letter that made complaints very similar to Dean's.

Rockstar issued a public statement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97503-Rockstar-Responds-to-San-Diego-Allegations] saying that the Rockstar Wives were nothing more than a handful of malcontents. While Dean's comments would certainly seem to raise a few questions about that statement, if he's right about the poor working conditions being limited to just his team, then Rockstar may be right to downplay the problem.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Wait aren't there laws that say they can't do that? I mean whats to keep him from just leaving after 8 hours? Assuming the work still gets done on time, companies can't lay you off for working hours that are agreed upon. (also assuming they don't swamp you with work)

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
So.. a disgruntled worker and we can only take his word for it...right.

LondonBeer

Aug 1, 2010
Hmmm knowing a few game design types I can tell you theres a lot of dicking around goes on. If your messing around instead of working & finishing your task well tough noogies if they keep you late.

Im not saying all of these situations are driven by worker incompetence but given mod teams can fire out massive graphical overhauls and system alterations without the benefit of hardware or original design software and licences I'm calling these complaints BS.

Oh & a huge design team. Seriously look at the size of some of these teams & then look at the quality of their output.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
What, you mean that game company employees have to live with the same conditions as every one else who works in a commercial organisation. Shock and horror! Try joining the army, 6 months away from home every year with people trying to kill you for half the pay that you earn working for rockstar games. Yet another person from the games industry with an overblown senses of there own importance.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
So that's how you make awesome games...

They should do this more often. Maybe they could use whips?

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
You know, they should have union for people working in the video game industry. They have unions for the film and entertainment industry, why can't there be a video game union? It can allow people working for game publishers to fight for certain rights and establish proper industry guidelines.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
That would be an interesting selling point:

"RED DEAD REDEMPTION - It's so good they violated work ethics to make it!"

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Even if you're doing a job inside that requires typing instead of heavy lifting, working hours you're not paid for sucks. I agree that a union is needed, I have one at UPS and even though I've never used them for anything more than the Christmas parties, I like having them around. If this is true, I hope somehow all of those people can get paid for the time they had to work. It might be a salary, but if you get an extra day and an extra four hours, you should be given more compensation than if you'd just worked normal time.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
When deadlines need to be met, the expectation is that you have to put in the hours. In companies Ive worked for before, when this has happened there has been no immediate financial compensation BUT at the end of year salary review they tend to look favourably upon those who put in the hours.

It could be different here of course, but it just looks like one guy has thrown his toys out the pram. If he had an issue it should have been taken up with the local employment tribunal people, not posted on the internets.

Buchichu

Apr 2, 2010
so another dude enters the working world of games thinking it's going to be akin to playing videogames and realizes it's actual WORK. Big woop, still sounds better than a lot of other working conditions out there.

Viptorian

Mar 29, 2010
A number of gaming companies (EA is notorious for this) practice this same thing. 100 hour weeks are not at all unheard of in the gaming industry. That's part of why I never pursued a full-time gig in it.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Don't worry j-e-f-f-e-r-s, they know that well.

It's the fact that this news is about Rockstars which is beloved by the majority and so they gotta defend them.
Guess what hell broke loose if this was about Blizzard or Activision haha ;P

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I'm sorry, but attitudes like this make me sick. Really sick.

The guy is complaining about being forced to work 12 hour days, 6 days a week. Do you know how much time that is? That's approximately 90% of the time you spend awake in an entire week! Which he's being forced to work on a game, for no extra pay! The fact that Rockstar Wives made similar complaints a while ago simply suggests to me this guy may be telling the truth, and if so, the authorities need to look into Rockstar, and prosecute if and when it is needed.

I work 9-5, 5 days a week. I wouldn't want to spend a minute more at my workplace than that. Not because it's a particularly bad place, but because my time is my time, and I don't want to sacrifice more than is necessary to pay the rent. I have other things I like to do with my day. I once had to sacrifice a weekend to come help out with some IT stuff, for basic pay, and it was shitty as. Being forced to do that week on week would probably drive to to killing someone.

If this guy is telling the truth, then I have lost absolutely all respect for Rockstar. No game, and I mean this, no game is worth treating your employees like slave labour. Not Red Dead, not Halo, not Call Of Duty. Game developers need to organise themselves a union, and they need to do so pronto. Publishers have shown time and again that the welfare of employees is not high on their priority list, and this needs to fucking change.
yeah, I have got to say I'm with this guy ^^^

lynxus

Aug 10, 2009
I wonder if this kind of company behaviour is limited to the US, or if it´s as common here in Europe. It would be foolish to think only Rockstar forces this kind of, well, slavery really.

Video game development is a tough and competative industry. Many of the workers work extra long and hard by their own will (especially in smaller companies) and that´s just fine, as long as it´s by their own free will. Rockstar´s behaviour on the other hand is despiteful.
I get the feeling since this industry is heading towards a kind of monopoly with a few gigantic companies who own and control many lesser companies (EA for example), things will turn from bad to worse, since they will continue and raise the bar for everyone.