EA Boss: PlayStation Has Too Much of a Head Start for Xbox to Win

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
EA Boss: PlayStation Has Too Much of a Head Start for Xbox to Win

Microsoft has done a great job of building the Xbox brand says EA's John Riccitiello, but Sony is currently much stronger internationally.

As the gap between the Xbox 360 and PS3 sales narrows [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104871-PS3-Sales-Hot-on-Xbox-360s-Heels], EA CEO Riccitiello has weighed in on which console he thinks will emerge victorious - although likely still in the shadow of the Wii. In his opinion, the PS3 will likely win out, not because it's better, but because it has greater brand recognition.

He said that the consoles had their differences, and that both platform holders were very good at using their unique selling points, like Blu-Ray or Xbox Live. He said that Sony had done especially well in tightening up and refocusing its marketing campaign, but added that you couldn't point at either company and really say that it had dropped the ball.

Riccitiello praised Microsoft for getting the Xbox brand to the point it had, saying that it had made a lot of smart moves, and that Xbox Live was the gold standard for online gaming services. The big problem that Microsoft faced, he said, was that the PlayStation brand was much stronger internationally than the Xbox, and that gave Sony a head start that he thought might be insurmountable.

Of course, from EA's point of view, the best thing would be if both consoles sell by the boatload, as that means a much bigger install base for the publisher's multiplatform titles, but you only need to look at the difficulty [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105649-Kinect-Sells-Surprisingly-Well-in-Japan] that Microsoft has selling the Xbox 360 in Japan to realize what Riccitiello is saying makes a lot of sense.

Source: Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/xbox-doesnt-carry-anywhere-near-as-much-sway-as-sony-says-ea-ceo/]

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Well if anyone expected Microsoft to outsell a company with its base in Japan, in Japan, I'll show you a very naive person. I'm still waiting for suitable motivation to buy the PS3 myself, so I've always been confused at all the people gushing over it.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'm not sure if I really believe that the name recognition of the Playstation brand is really that much superior to Xbox.

CJ1145 said:
Well if anyone expected Microsoft to outsell a company with its base in Japan, in Japan, I'll show you a very naive person. I'm still waiting for suitable motivation to buy the PS3 myself, so I've always been confused at all the people gushing over it.
Metal Gear Solid 4? God of War 3? Little Big Planet? Heavy Rain? inFamous? Blu-Ray? Free online play? Really I could keep going, but I think you get the point.

To be fair, I can list plenty of reasons to buy an Xbox. Halo, Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect, Fable...

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
ps3 might possibly win internationally, however, in the U.S. xbox will remain on top.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Saltyk said:
To be fair, I can list plenty of reasons to buy an Xbox. Halo, Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect, Fable...
3 out of those 4 games are on PC btw, and Mass Effect 2 & 3 are out on PS3 next year(I'm excited WHY ISN'T ANYONE ELSE?)

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Josh12345 said:
Saltyk said:
I'm not sure if I really believe that the name recognition of the Playstation brand is really that much superior to Xbox.

CJ1145 said:
Metal Gear Solid 4? God of War 3? Little Big Planet? Heavy Rain? inFamous? Blu-Ray? Free online play? Really I could keep going, but I think you get the point.

3 out of those 4 games are on PC btw, and Mass Effect 2 & 3 are out on PS3 next year(I'm excited WHY ISN'T ANYONE ELSE?)
I know, but I was trying to prove a point before I got called a fanboy. And I am very excited about Mass Effect 2 and 3 on the PS3! Now, I'll get to play them!

Jul 22, 2009
Archangel357 said:
joshthor said:
ps3 might possibly win internationally, however, in the U.S. xbox will remain on top.
So if I want to play online with people who believe that the earth is older than 6,000 years, and who don't call everybody a "n****r" or a "f****t", I should buy a PS3?
Nope, that's every platform.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
People always talk about Xbox live being so much better than PSN, Live has so much more ass holes on it. Back when I had my xbox I couldn't walk into a game of halo without being called a ****** by someone with a higher voice than fred! Grrr. I dunno if its changed much to be fair, I haven't been on an xbox for about a year.... not since I slung it for my Playstation. Maybe its worth giving it a go....

to be fair though, xbox will always have a strong advantage over the PS3 because its cheaper (for a reason(BAM) ;) ) so your average consumer would want the cheaper one... but then you get to the cheapest console....

FEAR IT!!

jbigboote

Sep 21, 2009
CJ1145 said:
Uncharted, Uncharted 2, and eventually Uncharted 3.

capacollo

Nov 17, 2009
So in the end if all other things being equal its just a matter of content and its quality, IMO. When, and I hope soon, games are treated and critiqued at the same level as literature and movies people won't be arguing about the content delivery system ... Do you care where you go watch your movies provided they have the minimum set of requirements like high def and sound quality ?

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Meh, not really into any of those games Saltyk

Saltyk said:
Metal Gear Solid 4?
I play games for plot, not a mass of kudzu with a sign that says "plot" on it. Those games are so impenetrable I needed a machete just to get through the TVTropes article.

God of War 3?
I've always hated action games of that sort, the last one I actually enjoyed was God Hand. And maybe Prototype, but that was just for the sheer audacity of wiping out an entire city disguised as an old woman.

Little Big Planet?
I'm terrible at level design, and I know that's all I'd ever try to do in a game like that. I'm not a glutton for self-punishment, so I'm staying away from that one. Though I am watching to see what people come up with.

Heavy Rain?
Some dick ruined the plot, and now I just don't have the motivation. And I'm actually a little disappointed from what I've heard.

inFamous?
Looks pretty damn good actually, but it's not motivation enough for me to buy a $300 paperweight.

You won't see me buying a Blu-Ray until the last DVD on Earth is thrown into the furnace.

Free online play?
But none of the games seem to have very good online play to me, so free or not I don't see why I'd care.

jbigboote said:
CJ1145 said:
Uncharted, Uncharted 2, and eventually Uncharted 3.
If I want to hear Nolan North quip for 6 hours, I'll play Assassin's Creed.

friedo.obrain

Jan 29, 2010
GamesB2 said:
Archangel357 said:
joshthor said:
So if I want to play online with people who believe that the earth is older than 6,000 years, and who don't call everybody a "n****r" or a "f****t", I should buy a PS3?
Nope, that's every platform.
Well I've found that some shooters on the PC have quite the considerate crowd... Team Fortress 2 is agreat example and Bad Company 2 is great as well (though i reinstalled it and it was a bit worse) and even when i played mw2 on the pc faggoting was rare

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
CJ1145 said:
Yeah, and if anyone expected Sony to outsell a company with its base in the USA, in the USA, I'll show you a very naive person.
That's why you usually don't look at domestic markets but at foreign ones, like Europe.
Where the PS3 has indeed more "brand recognition" and sells more.

Although I don't see how those sales figures are relevant to anyone besides Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony employees.
Unless you are a fanboy that gets a hard-on when looking at graphs and charts, that is.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Archangel357 said:
joshthor said:
And they won't charge you for online play.

Staskala said:
Although I don't see how those sales figures are relevant to anyone besides Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony employees.
Unless you are a fanboy that gets a hard-on when looking at graphs and charts, that is.
I am an economist, you don't have to be a fan boy to get a hard-on looking at charts and graphs.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
KEM10 said:
Staskala said:
I am an economist, you don't have to be a fan boy to get a hard-on looking at charts and graphs.
I was talking about the average consumer.
Of course there's plenty of enjoyment in random data and statistics, which is incidentially the reason why I know console sale figures despite not actually owning any current-gen console.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Edit: On second thought, this post was dumb, and I officially rescind it.