LittleBigPlanet 2 Goes Gold, Gets Euro Release Date

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
LittleBigPlanet 2 Goes Gold, Gets Euro Release Date

Sackboy's second outing will miss its release date no longer, and Europeans will be getting LBP2 sooner than they might have thought.

LittleBigPlanet 2 was originally scheduled to hit shelves along with everything else in November, but was in need of a bit more development time [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103728-LittleBigPlanet-2-Slips-to-2011], said the creators at Media Molecule, and the title was delayed to early 2011 - January 18th in North America, with a big fat "TBA" everywhere else.

Well, there shall be no more delays. According to the PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/12/21/littlebigplanet-2-goes-gold-first-review-is-a-10-psn-demo-today-storyline-trailer/], LBP2 has had all the extra development it needs, and the game has gone gold. In other words, it's 100% complete, and Media Molecule's employees can now take a well-deserved holiday break (cutting it close to the wire, weren't you, guys?).

As far as Europe goes, it turns out our readers across the pond won't be waiting that much longer at all: LBP2 will hit shelves on the mainland on January 19th, and in the UK on the 21st. I'm not sure I understand why the UK gets it a day later - all y'all run on PAL systems, don't you? It isn't like there isn't already an English translation of the game, either; it can't take that long to add in all the extraneous "u"s.

Either way, the first LittleBigPlanet was a charming platforming romp with some great user-created content, and LBP2 gives players even more tools to create things like fully-fledged 2D fighters [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106297-Insane-Fans-Make-Sony-vs-Marvel-vs-Capcom-in-LBP2].

If you're on the fence, a demo will be going up on PSN today in North America, tomorrow in Europe.

(PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/12/21/littlebigplanet-2-goes-gold-first-review-is-a-10-psn-demo-today-storyline-trailer/])

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
Wait, why does a game made my a British company come out 2 days later in England than America? Why does this always seem to happen?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
John Funk said:
I'm not sure I understand why the UK gets it a day later - all y'all run on PAL systems, don't you? It isn't like there isn't already an English translation of the game, either; it can't take that long to add in all the extraneous "u"s.
The game is made in the UK as well, it should be Natural to them! I can wait a day or so though.

OT: Fingers crossed for no more Qu'ran stuff this year. That was annoying.

Calumon: Yay! Now for the adventures of the Glowy Skeleton Irish SuperHero! :D

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
Awesome. Ill get this for my birthday then, dont need to save up for yet another game, woohoo.
Woot demo ! I know what im playing non stop now over xmas

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
I've just pre-ordered this, but I might be cancelling depending on which pre-order bonus goes to which chain of stores (C'mon Ratchet & Clank bonus!)

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
LittleBigPlanet 2 looks amazing and I'm sure the extra month of development time was well spent. I didn't know a demo was coming out (let alone today) so that just made the wait a whole lot easier.

And the Dead Space 2 demo is out today, too. Awesome update.

Kid A

Sep 28, 2010
technoted said:
Wait, why does a game made my a British company come out 2 days later in England than America? Why does this always seem to happen?
At times it can seem petty to moan about a mere 2 days, but I'm with you on this one. It is a UK based developer. Where's the patriotism?!

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
the delay might be because the manufacturing plant is in America.....or something , I don't know its all very odd.

Retodon8

Jun 25, 2008
John Funk said:
It isn't like there isn't already an English translation of the game, either; it can't take that long to add in all the extraneous "u"s.
Shouldn't that be "extraneos" in American English? :)
As for delays releasing in particular countries: there's always a good reason like the manufacturing plants hudsonzero mentioned.
It's just that we as consumers don't necessarily agree with what is a "good reason".

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Jack and Calumon said:

Your weird and unneccessary split personality garbage is annoying.

OT: Little Big Planet is awesome, even though its popular as hell its one of the most underappreciated games ever made.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Good to know. I've had the Collector's Edition preordered for a while now. Sweet game and Sackboy plushie here I come!

Kid A said:
At times it can seem petty to moan about a mere 2 days, but I'm with you on this one. It is a UK based developer. Where's the patriotism?!
Time to learn that developers don't really have anything to do with release dates. You want to go to the publisher for that. Ask Sony why it's 2 days later, not Media Molecule. But before you do that, realize that sometimes it's weeks or months and that 2 days isn't really all that bad and there's no need to whine about it anyway.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Wait. It's news that this didn't have a release date?

Funny considering the likes of Amazon, Play, Game, Toys R Us and other stores have had that release date up for some time now.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
John Funk said:
As far as Europe goes, it turns out our readers across the pond won't be waiting that much longer at all: LBP2 will hit shelves on the mainland on January 19th, and in the UK on the 20th.
I think a slight amendment is in order. According to the European PS blog [http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/12/21/littlebigplanet-2-european-release-date-and-more/], and the Media Molecule blog [http://www.mediamolecule.com/blog/article/gold/], the European mainland does get LBP2 on Jan 19th, but the UK (and Ireland) won't receive it until the 21st. The game does come out in Australia and New Zealand on the 20th though, which is interesting.

QueenWren

Apr 7, 2010
Am I the only one who's noticed that certain things come out on certain days (at least in the UK)? Dvd's come out on Mondays, Films are released on Thursdays and games are Fridays. I don't think this was even Sony's decision, it's just that the 21st is the closest Friday to all the other release dates.

(=Nemesis=)

Oct 4, 2010
IBlackKiteI said:
Jack and Calumon said:

Your weird and unneccessary split personality garbage is annoying.
To you. Some of us think it's ace. We actually look forward to it.

OT: If only I could have brought my PS3 down for the holiday break... I could be wasting a lot of time...