Tester 2 Winner Believes This Is Only The Beginning

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Tester 2 Winner Believes This Is Only The Beginning

The newest winner of The Tester has a new job and an extra $5,000, but he's hoping this is the start of great things in his life.

For Matthew Brown, videogames have always been a regular fixture in his life. They helped him deal with the problems he encountered as a closeted gay teen. He failed his first attempt at driver's license test because he'd stayed up all night playing The Getaway. Now, they're going to fill his daily routine. Brown (better known as "Gaymer") is the winner of The Tester 2, Sony's reality show on the PlayStation Network that wrapped up last night, and he couldn't be more enthusiastic or grateful about what this means for him.

The show's eight-episode season featured twelve contestants jockeying for a single position at Sony (as well as a $5,000 signing bonus). Though each episode featured a different challenge, sometimes physical, sometimes mental, the hardest part about the show for Brown was knowing that the cameras were always present.

"The cameras are on you almost all the time," Brown explained in an interview with The Escapist. "For me especially, representing [both] a community and myself to an entire industry, I was very aware that this was both an interview and a game within a game ... everything that I was bringing to the table had to be shown and I knew that I had to be three-dimensional as a person because people will judge you for one aspect of yourself. I wanted people to know I was more than just one thing ... or just one type."

While many critics of the show have noted that becoming a game tester isn't exactly a glamorous prize, Brown is thrilled at the career opportunities the position will (hopefully) provide him with.

"Testing gives me an opportunity to learn all there is about the gaming industry," he said. "I can now be recognized by future coworkers and (hopefully) [this recognition will] help me move forward in the industry."

As for where he hopes to wind up within Sony, Brown is keeping his options open, though he's currently hoping to find himself working as a part of the company's marketing team: "I love people and I love interacting with the community, so anything that involves PR or working with people, that seems a strong suit of mine and where my strengths would lead. But I would never discount wanting to create games myself ... it would be a dream to one day be a game director."

Brown's hopes seem pretty reasonable. After all, Will Powers (AKA "Cyrus", the winner of the first season of The Tester) also moved into the marketing department at Sony after he first started in the QA division. In a recent episode, Powers recently visited the set of the show and talked about how The Tester had changed his life for the better.

In Brown's case, "this is a huge life change. The last few years, I've been Mr. Activist and this really marks a change for me because I'm letting go of that weight from my shoulders ... this is a chance to pursue everything I've ever wanted."

After graduating from UC Berkeley, Brown moved to Southern California and began working in the marketing department for a defense contractor, while doing volunteer work as a "full-time activist" at night. But, even though he was living in the real world and working in a job that had nothing to do with games, he was still a gamer.

"I'm a part of many communities. As I've grown to be more social, I've met so many people and I've really found a home with gamers. They're wonderful, loving, non-judgmental people who just like to be creative ... [the community] feels like home."

For those of you who don't know, The Tester 2 was the sequel to this Spring's The Tester, the reality show that pitted a number of hopeful gamers against each other as they competed to win a job as a QA tester at Sony's Santa Monica studios. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104920-Sony-Dishes-About-Season-2-of-The-Tester>As Sony explained to The Escapist, the second season was going to be even bigger, with more drama, more judges, and the new "Download & Win" feature. The tactic was pretty successful, since Sony revealed, "while final viewership numbers are still being calculated, we have seen outstanding impression numbers."

But for Brown, the reality show victory is the beginning of a life he's always seemed to want. At the moment, it's expected that he will start working for Sony sometime in January, and he's chomping at the bit to start working in the videogame industry: "For [me], this is exciting; to go humbly into the industry and create actually figure out what want to do in Sony."

Congratulations, Matt: here's hoping this is just the start of even greater things to come.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
I've heard being a gamestester really sucks. Still, I dunno. I mean, what I do now is just moving boxes around, it's not particularly exciting and when you lose thirty pounds in one month from doing it, you know it's not an easy job. At least testing games, he'll be in air conditioning (I hope) and inside, where he doesn't come home covered in dirt. If anything, at least he has that 5,000 to pay off any small debts he might have. Good luck to the guy :)

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
8-Bit mickey didn't win? Awww. Well congrats to him and I hope he'll go far. In this economy I'm surprised more low level thankless jobs aren't being given away as prizes.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
8-Bit mickey didn't win? Awww. Well congrats to him and I hope he'll go far. In this economy I'm surprised more low level thankless jobs aren't being given away as prizes.
To be fair, I don't see how 8-Bit Mickey would've been able to juggle work with Sony and working on That Guy With The Glasses at the same time.

Apr 28, 2008
RollForInitiative said:
On the one hand, congratulations. On the other hand, welcome to Hell you poor, misinformed sod.
Indeed.

Congrats to him and everything, but I wouldn't say he "won".

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
Maybe next time they can do the "Gamestop associate" gameshow. That way we can see the real look of despair when someone wins it.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Awesome. Glad to hear that thing has ended again. My inbox will be free of tester spam for another few months.

Oh, and gaymer or whatever your name is? Enjoy your shitty new job.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
He'd better hope this is only the beginning; I wouldn't want anyone to be stuck in that job for too long. Of course, I'm unemployed so I'd take that job in a heartbeat.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
I have never even heard of this show but it sounds like an interesting way to get into the business. I want to get into the industry and this offers a guaranteed job if you win. Maybe i will look into it now that in in america

CpnChaos

Sep 20, 2010
Here's the thing, I watched it all, and even the judges at the end know that testing is only a stepping stone into the industry. And yet, almost everyone who applied (yes, I watched the application videos... *shiver*) says they only want to test. This show isn't about becoming a tester; it's about giving a tester job to someone with very little experience in the industry. Then, as they learn, they can move into other areas of n industry they are passionate about. That is why the show is there, and that is why they are applying; it isn't about the tester job, it's what could be beyond it. Look at Will Powers from last season, he wasn't even a tester for six months and already he has moved upward in Sony to marketing. That's what I feel the show represents; a job that may suck, but the judges know the quality of who they hire, and they can quickly move to another department.

I dunno, I could be wrong, but I hope it's like that...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
RollForInitiative said:
On the one hand, congratulations. On the other hand, welcome to Hell you poor, misinformed sod.
Irridium said:
RollForInitiative said:
Indeed.

*image snip*

Congrats to him and everything, but I wouldn't say he "won".
mjc0961 said:
Awesome. Glad to hear that thing has ended again. My inbox will be free of tester spam for another few months.

Oh, and gaymer or whatever your name is? Enjoy your shitty new job.
People need to understand something.

This is not about getting a menial job. This is not about becoming a video game tester. This is not about just playing games for a job.

This is about getting your foot in the door to a highly competitive industry. Being a video game tester is only a small step in becoming a major player. You've got to crawl before you walk, and you've got to walk before you run.

The fact that Mathew Brown won this shows that he has the damn balls to go through this, and on top of that he gets a ton of publicity for future reference. This show has proven to everyone that he can be more than just a tester, and that will be invaluable in the future when he's overseeing entire projects.

OT: Congradulations, Mathew Brown, aka Gaymer. I hope to see you succeed and become a big player in this industry. Good night and good luck.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Jumplion said:
RollForInitiative said:

This is not about getting a menial job. This is not about becoming a video game tester. This is not about just playing games for a job.

This is about getting your foot in the door to a highly competitive industry. Being a video game tester is only a small step in becoming a major player. You've got to crawl before you walk, and you've got to walk before you run.
Oh, I understand. I'm already in the industry and have been for years. Contrary to popular belief, QA barely even qualifies as a foot in the door. Some people manage to move from QA into other departments but it's not as common as folks would like to think it is. QA can teach you some solid skills but being good at it does not necessarily equate to having any design, production, or artistic talent. Most QA will be QA for life.

Or until they burn out, which is the more common ending.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
RollForInitiative said:
Jumplion said:
RollForInitiative said:

Oh, I understand. I'm already in the industry and have been for years. Contrary to popular belief, QA barely even qualifies as a foot in the door. Some people manage to move from QA into other departments but it's not as common as folks would like to think it is. QA can teach you some solid skills but being good at it does not necessarily equate to having any design, production, or artistic talent. Most QA will be QA for life.

Or until they burn out, which is the more common ending.
Like I said, it's a small step, but it's a step. The entire entertainment industry is about connections, prostituting yourself, and luck.

The fact that Mathew Brown put himself out there in this reality show not only allows him to land a job as a tester, it also shows off his other qualities making his options much broader than if he just went to the front desk and put his resume on the application table. He got out there, took a risk, and succeeded. Whether or not he will succeed in the long run is debatable, but he's definitely in a better position than most poor sods that come into the job already delusional. I'm pretty sure Brown is smart enough to know about what he's going into.