Avatar Wins Another Award: Most Pirated Film of 2010

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Avatar Wins Another Award: Most Pirated Film of 2010

James Cameron's Avatar broke yet another record, this time for being the most pirated movie of 2010.

Avatar is the highest-grossing film of all time, but more people saw it than just those who paid for it. TorrentFreak has compiled its annual "most pirated" list, and Avatar came out on top. Not only did it win the title by a large margin, but TorrentFreak reports it destroyed the record of last year's most pirated film, Star Trek, with over 16,580,000 downloads to Trek's 10,960,000.

Other films near the top of the list are Kick-Ass in the number two spot (11,400,000 downloads), followed by Inception (9,720,000), Shutter Island (9,490,000), and Iron Man 2 (8,810,000). Rounding out the top ten are Clash of the Titans, Green Zone, Sherlock Holmes, The Hurt Locker, and Salt.

Some of these films may seem surprising, but the most downloaded films don't always correspond to the highest-grossing ones. Absent from this list are Toy Story 3 and Alice in Wonderland, both of which, like Avatar, had theatrical grosses of over $1 billion worldwide.

Source: BBC News [http://torrentfreak.com/avatar-crowned-the-most-pirated-movie-of-2010-101220/]

se7ensenses

Jun 10, 2009
So now that this figure is released, how long until James Cameron is addressing congress to put a stop to piracy? Piracy causes global warming!

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
se7ensenses said:
So now that this figure is released, how long until James Cameron is addressing congress to put a stop to piracy? Piracy causes global warming!
I know you're joking bout that global warming, but I'm wondering. Which takes more energy? Manufacturing millions of DVDs/Blu Rays along with their boxes, and their colorful covers, or downloading it off a couple thousand computers from around the world?

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
sure his movie is environmentally friendly, but now James has to come out with an economically friendly movie

Subzerowings

May 1, 2009
I'm just going to throw it out there: I hate piracy.
I don't know how many people on this site pirate games, movies, music, etc. but I really can't stand it.
If you like a movie then you buy it.
I don't care if someone has a great quality pirated version while the movie isn't even out yet, I would never dowload that, regardless of the movie.
I really hate getting on the moral high horse, especially when I'm talking about something that's obviously wrong, but I just can't stand it.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
I didn't want to download it i thought it was mediocore, however my mum wanted to rewatch it. Sigh.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Avatar is a spectacle film, 99% of the people who watched it in the cinemas must have watched it in 3D, because if it was average in 3D it must have been piss weak in 2D.

I mean the tech was incredible stuff, but that's it.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
Subzerowings said:
I'm just going to throw it out there: I hate piracy.
Me too, friend.

For the thread at hand: Why can't people shell out a few dollars to see it legally? They worked hard on it and in some cases spent millions of dollars making it, why deprive them of their cash? All those figures of piracy I see could help make a bigger budget for a sequel. I mean come on, you have to at least be interested in the movie to want to pirate it, so something caught your attention. And this isn't just for Avatar, all the other movies on that list that were pirated millions of times. Some of them didn't make a lot of cash and really could have used the help.

(PS: I wonder how people who pirate would feel if they made something popular, only to have it pirated as well. Bet it'd feel pretty bad.)