Rumor: New Tomb Raider Will Have Multiplayer

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Rumor: New Tomb Raider Will Have Multiplayer

Based on some new job postings, it sounds like Lara Croft is going to get to play with friends in her next game.

Crystal Dynamics recently revealed <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105937-New-Tomb-Raider-Raider-Reboot-Details-Emerge>a number of details about its new Tomb Raider reboot. One thing, though, that hasn't been discussed is whether or not the game will feature a multiplayer mode. However, a couple of new job postings at the development studio make it seem like multiplayer action will be a part of the title.

The job postings don't exactly state that Crystal Dynamics is planning to put multiplayer gameplay in the next Tomb Raider title, but it certainly seems like this feature is being planned. The developer is looking for a multiplayer producer who has "demonstrable project management experience" and has the ability to "take on a major production role in the multi-player part of an upcoming action adventure title."

Aside from the producer position, the company is also looking for a "senior multiplayer game designer." The notes for this position mention that candidates will be working on co-op and player vs. player gameplay.

Of course, Crystal Dynamics isn't officially commenting on what these positions mean for the game, but it seems like a pretty reasonable assumption that the game is going to feature a multiplayer mode ... especially since Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light featured multiplayer action. For the moment, this is still technically a rumor, but one that seems pretty accurate.

Source: Joystiq

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Heh.. well, co-op could be cool. The combat system would need some absolutely massive redesign work if they want PvP to be anything close to workable though.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
No thanks. Just focus on making it a great Metroidvania-style game, and try to make Lara a more appealing character for this reinvention.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I dont get why they arnt just making another lara croft and the guardin of light type game, its fucken awesome

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
The only Tomb Raider I've played was the original, so I don't know how that'll work. Nor what the game is about nowadays.

As a whole, adding multiplayer to everything is a bad phenomenon.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
They need to stop rebooting Tomb Raider. Don't they realise the series has a fanbase? Just make the world more expansive.

Multiplayer sounds nice though.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I'm not interested in multiplayer Tomb Raider at all. Here's hoping that in attempting to 'reinvent' the series they don't stray too far away from what originally made it great in the first place.

SilverKyo

Apr 15, 2009
so i was extremely interested in this game until i saw this... now i'm not entirely sure.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
What could multiplayer Tomb Raider be like?

Okay, winner is the person who raids the most tombs?

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Well uncharted 2's multiplayer was amazing, so maybe this will be ewually as awesome. Who knows.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
um...isnt tomb raider like...a platformer? and dont the action parts generally suck?
so in the industry's relentless efforts to make shitty multiplayer of everything, theyve finally thrown out all pretense of quality and decided to focus on the crappy part of the game, because it makes for viable online play.

this is especially confusing seeing as tomb raider just freaking had a coop spin-off that had to be an arcade game and have nothing to do with tomb raider gameplay to work... are they really ignoring their own damn series' success just to add multiplayer? how asinine can this trend get...for god sakes, just make your own IP if you want to make a shitty GoW rip-off, tomb raider has been mishandled more than enough.

thats alot of presumption i know, but come release just see if it isnt true...

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
What? How is this news? Everything has fuckin' multiplayer in one form or another these days. The real news would be if the game didn't have multiplayer. Maybe then I'd actually take notice.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
multiplayer ...meh
the people who want the game will play it for the single playerd and the tacked on multi will be tried and forgotten in a month in favour games whose multi had more emphasis and more relevance to the game that was made.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Multi-player Tomb Raider?

"Alright, guys! See that GIANT cave over there? With the sign that says 'Tomb' on it? We've hidden a ton of items in it. You all have your lists. Whoever brings them all back first wins!"

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Aaaand there goes the trademark feeling of being isolated/claustrophobic in a giant tomb. But then again that's been missing ever since TR4. *big sigh*

LightPurpleLighter said:
"Alright, guys! See that GIANT cave over there? With the sign that says 'Tomb' on it? We've hidden a ton of items in it. You all have your lists. Whoever brings them all back first wins!"
Damn, this game will most likely turn everyone into a greedy looter. >.> This will not bode well...

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Isn't that kind of undermining what they're trying to go for in this Tomb Raider game? Not every game needs a multiplayer mode damn it.