211: Junktown Dog

Michael Fiegel

Dec 31, 2007
Junktown Dog

Perhaps no character in the Fallout universe is as beloved by players as Dogmeat, the canine companion to every Lone Wanderer to leave (or be thrown out of) his vault. Michael Fiegel interviews members of the original Fallout development team about how the loveable mutt came into being.

Read Full Article

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
Never having played a fallout game, i dont have any expiriance with Dogmeat, but can relate to what people apparently feel towards the lovable mutt from my expiraiance in Oblivion with Shadowmere.

Anyone who has played Oblivions Dark Brotherhood quests knows what i am talking about. A reward from Lucien Lechance for a job well done, eternally faithful (except if you put armour on her... never got why she would run away when you did that), and a powerhouse, able to take down many of the games higher lvled monstocities single handedly... or hoofedly to be more precise. And her speed, making her able to run down that pesky Kajhit Marik without breaking a sweat, makes her one of the most useful beings in the game.

She is even more valueable as a character after *SPOILER* your mentor eventually bites the dust *END SPOILER*, and becomes a testimate to not only the relationship with Lucien, but also your new found power once the quest line ends. the fact that she resolutely stands by your side in the face of danger, and her apparent loathing of armour make her a nice foil to your spell wielding, shadow crawling, Umbra wielding self. it also helps that she is a hero character and can never really die...

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Just goes to show you how great game design can create emotional experiences just as well as good writing can. The original Dogmeat's strength helped forge a sense of attachment to him early on in game, and so by the time his low HP became an issue the player was usually already actively protecting him.

Firenz

Jul 16, 2009
I love my Dogmeat. Having played Fallout back to front (3,2 then original) I never really realised the link. I knew from friends who played the original when it first came out that you could have a dog in your party and thought it a touch strange but now fully understand why they reloaded time and again just to try and save their Dogmeat from death.

@ Gamerluck: Shadowmere was great but Dogmeat, well, I'm more of a dog person, and the fact that he was irreplacable (sp?) and individual did a lot for his appeal. Shadowmere felt the same as one of those awesome, highly sought after items/artefacts that you come across in all RPGs, more utilitarian and with less character, I feel for him in the same way as I feel for my conquorer armour set in W:AR.

p.s and unfortunately I never managed to save the Worthless Mutt in Arcanum... Might have to re-install it and try.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I never could feel an attachment to Dogmeat, though I did hope for one. I generaly love animal companions in games, but the AI of Dogmeat made him way too much of a pain to have. So as hard as I try, eventualy I just end up giving up on him. I do still have him alive in one of my Fallout 3 games, but only because I left him in Megaton and never, ever use him. So basicly he's just another NPC there for decoration.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
I agree with the evaluation of sidekicks, the best ones are useful and don't ramble endlessly throughout the game.

I know I have spent a lot of time reloading games where I try to save a character, and Dogmeat is no exception.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I ended up turning Dogmeat into a domesticated dog. He'd live in Megaton and always await my return eagerly. The dangers of the Capital Wasteland were so bad I wanted to keep him home where he'd be safe and well looked after.

Yet, if I were out and about, I'd have no qualms about leading humans or even Fawkes to their deaths.

It's funny how a mere dog can evoke such protective feelings from even a stony hearted gamer like myself.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Dogmeat is (nearly) invincible. I treat him nicely, but I prefer 'A Familiar Piece of Brain'.
I put it on the top shelf in my ten-penny suite. :p
couldn't quite put dogmeat up there though...

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I love my Dogmeat in Fallout 3. So much so that I never let him leave the house, even though I have the puppys perk.

Maybe I need help. I don't even treat my own dogs with that kind of love...

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
well... amazingly this dog i havn´t met in fallowt 3... where is it?? or do i have to buy an expansion to get it??

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
HentMas said:
well... amazingly this dog i havn´t met in fallowt 3... where is it?? or do i have to buy an expansion to get it??
If you must know,
Look around in the Scrapyard, south of the Minefield.

I loved Dogmeat, and still do. I usually leave him and Fawkes somewhere safe while I attempt more dangerous missions because I know that they'll either
-Get killed and I will be forced to reload the game to save my 'friends.'
-Get stuck or lost and I'll have to help them navigate around some obstace so I don't feel lonely and scared anymore.
I become very attatched to my NPC friends, even when they don't have personalities.

muse-13-bliss

Sep 6, 2008
ohgodalex said:
I loved Dogmeat, and still do. I usually leave him and Fawkes somewhere safe while I attempt more dangerous missions because I know that they'll either
-Get killed and I will be forced to reload the game to save my 'friends.'
-Get stuck or lost and I'll have to help them navigate around some obstace so I don't feel lonely and scared anymore.
I become very attatched to my NPC friends, even when they don't have personalities.
FAWKES NEVER DIES :p
fawkes has saved my ass too many times! he is the BEST follower! :)

dogmeats awesome though, hand him since the beginning, helps out a lot

but wtf! you ahve to feed him???? o_O

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
I hated Dogmeat. I found it once and shot it myself after about five minutes of the damn mutt attacking anything in sight.

kastanok

Mar 20, 2009
When I first played through Fallout 3, I passed through the scrapyard just once. I heard scuffling coming from the far side of a cargo container and a stack of wrecked cars and - just in case - threw a grenade. One boom latter, the scuffling stopped. So I went round to check the damage and I found the bodies of two gunmen and a dog named, appropriately enough I thought, Dogmeat. And that was the first and last I saw of the thing.

This explains a bit.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Dogmeat's great if you're a power-armoured, wade-in-blazin', gun-totin' powerhouse, but if you're a sneaker, he's a pain in the arse. I actually used the console commands to make him unkillable because it seemed like he could take on four super mutants with heavy artillery and survive, but a single bloatfly could take him down on occasion. Mostly left him home, though.

lillebille

Apr 16, 2009
heh i dídnt need a partner in fallout3 i was never much damaged and out of ammo
and i can remmember dogmeat i fetched him up on the scrapyard and headed for the minefield
he handed it nicely jumped across the mines and didnt get himself hurt but through the half thing the sniper in the building across fired a shot right in front of him triggerin a serie
of mines making him fly through the air and landing 10 ft away from me it was kind of a
awesome death made a good part of the story ... but then again it was only my first charekter
my second one was better it was alot more fun then lets say our first encounter ended whit both barells to the head blowing brains out then i had dogmeat for dinner yup i killed of almost every good guy in the story not to mention tenpenny tower.. yes i TRYED TO MAKE FRIENDS IN THERE BUT NO! those guys kept pissing me of finaly crossing the line saying: i dont care if the others want zombies living here i don`t! young woman pisses me of me goes on berzerk killing all in the building exept her and then brutaly ends her life whit supersledge in the face...

so my point is i dont like people in videogames who defies my orders it al ends up the same..