211: Junktown Dog

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
I've only found dogs useful in Fallout 3 where Dogmeat is my companion through the wastes. Let me explain this:

Fallout 1: Went to Junktown where I was asked to "get rid" of a dog terrorizing some poor man. Hunting rifle away and no dog problem. Obviously this was Dogmeat.

Fallout 2: Found the Pariah DOg which gave me the Jinx perk. Not son funny there either. Let us say that it is extremly annoying, trying to kill Frank Horrigan with guns that explodes all the time.

Ladeh

Jul 22, 2009
i liked dogmeat quite a bit and enjoyied having him around but then after meeting more companions i realised dogmeat would make a better meat sheild then companion. i prefered fawkes and that robot compainion cause fawkes had a infinite ammo gatlin laser and i just genrally like robots.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Dogmeat was a great character to meet in Fallout 3, but it's true that statistically he was useless. He died so often and I had to reload every time because I actually cared about him, like I tend to about NPCs that actually move, as opposed to the virtually robotic human NPCs in the game.

He ended up getting sent back to the Vault, with me checking on him from time to time just to see if the terrible glitches in the game had done him in yet. Luckily, they managed to make it so it was an actual safe spot. That's a rare thing in a Bethesda game. Very rare indeed.

In any case, I like such characters. We need more lovable characters in deathtraps. I'm sick of everyone being suitably tough. Mix it up a bit, game designers, and let even characters with 1 HP be useful in other ways!

shaderkul

Apr 19, 2009
Smokescreen said:
I've only played Fallout 3, but I was lucky enough to stumble upon Dogmeat early on-and with no previous knowledge of the character.

I was so lonely (Fallout does a great job of evoking a hostile wasteland that wants to kill you if anything is there at all) that keeping that dog alive became more important that completing missions.

I've never restarted a game so often. No regrets.
Now that's what puts a smile on the face of every game developer.

Vendayn

Aug 18, 2003
I thought this was a really good read. I'll have to go find Dogmeat now :D

Good article. :)

Skyfall

Mar 15, 2009
Yeah, I tried everything in keeping the fella alive. It was worth it,every single time. As for the article it was a very good read, I don't fancy the game as much but I love the dog.

My question is how did the OP manage to interview the Fallout team?.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Only ever played Fallout 3 and I didnt even find Dogmeat until bout level 19, but he was great to have around. I mainly told him to wait by Vault 101 so he didnt run off and get killed by super mutants :( Kept him to the end though :)

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Awesome article! I never really cared about dogmeat but now maybe that will change.

Nikajo

Feb 6, 2009
I never found dogmeat and have played through all 3 of the fallout games. Not that I was looking. Probably because subconciously I knew I would get too attached to him and try to keep him alive and therefore end up having to reload twice as much as I did anyway.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I was always scared I'd kill Dogmeat in Fallout 3 and never get him back again. I always made him stay at the house, and rarely took him out with me. He was in in-door dog , I suppose. >_>

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
wasn't too beloved by me. felt like more of a liability.

too weak to survive where i go, but too loved to let die.

damnit dogmeat, why do i love you so?!