Win a Role in the New Dungeons & Dragons Movie

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Win a Role in the New Dungeons & Dragons Movie

There's a new Dungeons & Dragons movie in the works and you can win a walk-on role portraying a character of your very own creation!

Yes, it's true: Silver Pictures, the production company that brought us the millennial cinematic train wreck Dungeons & Dragons [http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-New-Line-Platinum/dp/B00003CXQM/ref=sr_1_6?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1293222621&sr=1-6] is at it again, filming a new D&D flick entitled Book of Vile Darkness. The majority of filming is taking place in Eastern Europe but production will soon be moving to Louisiana for additional shooting, and that's where you come in.

Wizards of the Coast is holding a contest that will give one lucky D&D fan a walk-on role in the film. Hop over to Wizard's Dungeons & Dragons promo page [http://www.wizards.com/dnd/promotions.aspx] and use the "D&D Character Builder tool" (accessible through the D&D Insider) to create a heroic tier (1st to 10th level) non-human character with a tendency toward magic use and "evil or mercenary behavior." Add up to 100 "words of flavor" to the submission along with your usual real-life details, save it as a PDF and then attach it to your submission form. The best of the bunch as chosen by Wizards of the Coast will be flown to Louisiana, where he or she will portray the winning character in an epic battle scene.

There is a catch, though, and it's kind of a biggie. The D&D Insider ain't free; a subscription costs $9.95 a month or $71.40 for a year. Along with the Character Builder it includes the D&D Compendium, Adventure Tools, Dragon Magazine and Dungeon Magazine, which isn't a bad deal if you're a hardcore player but maybe a bit much for just a contest entry. On the other hand, if you're already a subscriber, fame and fortune await! Full rules are available at wizards.com [http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/CastYourRole_rules.pdf] (PDF format) and since I know you're going to ask, the contest is only open to residents of the U.S. and Canada.

As for the new movie, not much is known about it at this point. Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733125/], the 2005 direct-to-DVD release that was the actual follow-up to the original film. That's right, two sequels. Who would've thought?

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Well, if I wanted to start a career in acting appearing in the second sequel to Dungeons & Dragons would probably be a step down from my current status of: "no experience whatsoever."

Tiny116

The Cheerful Pessimist
May 6, 2009
Well, I have a shared account with my DnD group, which works well (We only use it in the summer holidays at the moment when we're all around).

And as much as I like DnD....The films are shockingly awful...The last one Wrath of the Dragon God? *Shudder*

Scout Tactical

Jun 23, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
I think it says something about the film's quality that they're letting any old Joe in it.
In theory, they're picking the best character, I guess, but there really isn't enough room for decent information to make a good character, and as far as acting goes, you have a point about letting anyone in.

Maybe it would make a little more sense if they had people submit characters, with the winner having their character portrayed in the film by a professional.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Only thing more laughable would be if the "prize" was to star in a Uwe Boll film...

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
But, Wrath of the Dragon God was good!

You know, with the commentary on.

"Ooooh, hot barbarian woman. First you ride 'em, then you eat 'em. Just like horses."

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Why would I want to be in a D&D film? How is that a prize?

I take it the loser gets to star in it.
Well, there goes my joke. Well played friend.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
The first movie made my eyes bleed. The second one was not as bad as I expected, not very good, but not the horrible affront it's predecessor was. Maybe the third one will be better. And maybe I'll be devoured in my sleep by Cthulhu.

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
I can't think of a single actor from the previous 2 D&D movies who didn't have their careers destroyed by them. Winning a guest walk-on is slightly above catching a steel nail to the eye.

And the fact that they would charge fees for the opportunity to be chosen for such is like a handful of salt thrown in your face directly after catching that nail to the eye.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
I actually in all honesty didn't mind the first one (wasn't even aware of the sequels).
I have the first one on DVD, and I first saw it when I was about 11-12.
Maybe it's just a nostalgia thing but I quite liked the first one. It was just stupid fun, fantasy.
-Tabs<3-

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Tonight, before I go to bed, I will sit in the darkness and think about what Dead Gentlemen Productions could do with that kind of support and money.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
D&D fans... DON'T DO IT!

If you never saw the original film, it will make you CRY.

If you have a character that is anything like the contest description, DELETE IT.

FLEE!

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Im gunna do it!
I hope i win, so i can star in one of the most horrid films ever created.
That way my children will have a legacy!

Theyer father will have been, "The evil, homosexual Orc that could barly throw a fireball!"

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
Total sacrilege to title it that when we all know its going to be watered down horror/fantasy. Hell, even the actual BoVD has a warning sticker on it.

/sadpanda at this entire fiasco.