Shamus Plays: WoW #10: Murloc Madness

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Shamus Plays: WoW #10: Murloc Madness

Sometimes you have to kill a few fishmen in order to prove that there are fishmen to kill.

Read Full Article

Shihoudani

Oct 3, 2009
Excellent story Shamus! I can't help but refresh this web site every other day just to see what happens next. Also I'm with you about the Murloc quest in Elwynn. It literally makes no sense what so ever and that quest isn't even really new. It's been there pre cataclysm as well, so you can wrap your head around how something so absolutely stupid could manage to persist through the Cataclysm. :p

lesterley

Jul 25, 2008
There's something comforting about the fact that I'm not the only person who actually READS the quest text and then gets frustrated because the stories make NO DAMN SENSE.

Thank you, Shamus!

Leslee

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
lesterley said:
There's something comforting about the fact that I'm not the only person who actually READS the quest text and then gets frustrated because the stories make NO DAMN SENSE.

Thank you, Shamus!

Leslee
No, you're not the only one. It sure seems that way, though ... people just rush headlong into accepting quests then run off to do them. This has been made worse by the fact that they now pinpoint the locations of quest items on your map for you. You could really play this so-called "Role-Playing" game without ever knowing what you are doing or why.

And don't even get me started on the way dungeons/raids are handled. If you don't play by an exact system where each person is assigned a specific role, you're screwed. Kind of leeches the fun out of it for old-school RPGers like me. Come to think of it, why am I still playing this game?

Oh, yes: because Blizzard has figured out a way to steal my friends and family and then rent them back to me.

~Cheers!

asterismW

May 26, 2009
Oh man, Norman is *this close* to snapping. Do it, Norman! Those saps don't deserve your help. Plus it would be so ironically awesome if the very people Norman was trying to help were the ones who pushed him over the edge.

Kuilui

Apr 1, 2010
I can't wait for the part of the story where some idiot npc asks him to do something so stupid Norman blows his skull off before he can finish the request just because he cant take it anymore. Good stuff and I to dislike MMO quests sometimes. I just scratch my head. I mean I get that they have to give you stuff to do and rewards, bla bla. Still seems like the lack of effort is glaringly apparent sometimes. I wonder if Norman will ever get some new equipment.

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
Oh man. I love watching this kind of character development in Norman. He's this close to frying an innkeeper or something. Can't wait to see how he reacts to the jaw-dropping stupidity that is post-Cataclysm Westfall.

Sodoff

Oct 15, 2009
This is so awesome!

And yes Murlocs are the bane of every questing player in WoW.

I wonder if Norman is ever going to do some meaningful quests.

bluekangaroo

Oct 28, 2010
Please keep this story going for when Norman gets to go to booty bay. That will be really funny when he starts working for pirates.

And it would be awesome if Gobstab gets resummoned as a satyr.

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
Not only is the story hilarious, well written and damn awesome but damn...I felt bad for Norman when he started weeping. If you're starting to get emotional I dunno what i'm gonna do ;p

Invariel

The Wizard That Did It
Apr 10, 2009
I'm hoping that Darkshire hasn't changed too much, simply to see how Norman responds to:
"Take this piece of paper to that guy five steps away from me."
'Thanks for this piece of paper. I'll just scrawl my reply, and you have to take it back to her, five steps away from me. Six if you've got crotchety old man legs.'
"Oh, he replied, and on the same piece of paper. How thoughtful. Have a couple of silver for your troubles."

The Red Spy

Dec 1, 2009
There were plenty of moments in that game that didn't either add up or make the greatest amount of sense, most notably around the start of the start of the game.

Loving the story, can't wait till the next installment.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
I'm just waiting for the moment when Deathbringerer finally snaps and Fwooshes some dumb bastard :D
Very fun to read, keep up the good work!

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
You monster! Killing all of those innocent Murloc familys!

Ever think that maybe it wasnt the Murlocs that killed the gaurds, but one of the other many dangrous things that lurk in the woods?

Like why was theyer armor gone!?! Murlocs couldent have eaten it! And you never found it! What if a group of bandits had killed the gaurds and looted theyer bodys? Or some bored Tauren whos way out of his element?

Poor little murloc children.....

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Ah, yes, senseless drops, the bane of RPGs everywhere. I remember the flavour text of a roguelike (Dungeon Crawl I think) explaining that enemies only leave corpses when you kill them in a way that leaves most of them in one piece and not splattered on the walls.

Then there's Kingdom of Loathing, the comedic game which has a section honoring Nethack in which monsters leave corpses. But then the pickpocket skill was added in and you could steal a monster's corpse from him. The dev's answer? They said the monster just happened to be carrying the corpse of another monster around, and then went on to add they were probably monster Norman Bates and were carrying the taxidermied corpses of their mother. Merry Christmas!

EvilYoshi

Aug 9, 2010
Wow, I laughed hard. I love the WoW absurdities "flavor text spiked with stupidity" lol. Man, is it just me or is being good really is a suckers game; that demon has been makin' all sorts of sense lately.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
I love this series! Man, Screwtape wouldn't have needed write a single letter had Wormwood lived in Azeroth.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Nice going with the story so far. I love Norman's character development so far. He looks close to snapping.

And yeah, I'm with ya on the low drop rates for certain quest items. Some of the lower drop rates have been fixed with Cata or kinda make sense within the background, but when you don't find any blood on like five different creatures, you can't help but call bullshit.