Ten Man Team Aces Quake In Under an Hour

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Ten Man Team Aces Quake In Under an Hour

It's a whirlwind of destruction and discovery as a team of gamers race through id's classic first person shooter.

Most speedruns are about blasting through a game as quickly as possible. This recent run of Quake has the same goal, except that the players behind it set themselves the extra challenge of getting a 100% completion score as well.

This meant that every single monster had to die and every secret room had to be discovered. What's more, the team played the game on Nightmare difficultly. Ten players contributed to the video, taking it in turns to do the levels. They used hacking tools to make sure that the weapons and ammunition carried over from one level to the next, but used nothing in the actual game itself aside from map knowledge honed over many years, and some rather impressive reflexes.

It's not as confusing to watch as the recent, world-record breaking Portal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.250031-Portal-Player-Glitches-His-Way-to-World-Record] speedrun, but it's got that same quickness and accuracy of motion that makes it such compelling viewing. The total playtime for the run is a blisteringly fast 48 minutes, which is about how long it took my younger self - and probably my current self too - to complete a single Quake level on Nightmare.

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/66971]

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
They used hacking tools to make sure that the weapons and ammunition carried over from one level to the next
suddenly became way less impressed. can they even admit this as a record if the game was tampered with?

p.s. just realized that most speed runs use some kind of in game glitch (except maybe the Demon Soul Speed run O.O)

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
My god.. That is insane to watch.. They shoot round corners before they see the enemy and not even checking if he is actually dead.

Hard to imagine even a computer doing this well..

EDIT: glad im not playing against these guys in some online shooter, that would be the actual death of me... Literally!

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
100% completion...

but at 8.59 the end of level slate finishes on 13/21 kills...

(i know that is a boss level so everything was killed but still)

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
While impressive, this really isn't a "Fair" speed run. Yes, most speed runs use glitches, but glitches are part of the game and it's the developer's fault that they didn't fix them. Hacking is breaking the game and inserting your own rules, which destroys the point of a speed run (which is to beat the game in the fastest amount of time following that game's own rules).

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:

First time I ever really played an FPS, and that sound still stays with me.
Feel the same way. I remember feeling like I'd done a good job on e1m1 when I got through it in under 1:20 (hard, not nightmare) but watching this is mesmerising.

Also, the cat in your avatar picture is annoying me. WHY DOESN'T IT LEARN!? :/

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
So it's a collection of speed runs on levels put into order? It's pretty impressive to watch. With the Portal video it just looked like a collection of exploits used to skip past the content but with Quake it just looks like the game as it was designed being mastered. Frame rate limit on the youtube videos lets it down though.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Very impressive, despite the ammo hacking.

I could very easily watch that all day.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Logan Westbrook said:
They used hacking tools to make sure that the weapons and ammunition carried over from one level to the next.
>Hacking Tools
>Hacked
>Instant Disqualification
I just instantly lost 99% of respect for the run. Come on... can't anyone do anything legit anymore?

[sub] [sub] [sub] Yes, I am aware of the Portal speedrun. [/sub] [/sub] [/sub]

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
A lot of team speedruns use an ammo/health hack so the individuals don't have to do it all in one go, trading off keyboard and mouse to each other, or even be in the same room at the same time. Everyone does their own run using the last guy's stats, otherwise when you stitch the demos together into one long run they'll desync. Hell, some individual speedruns use 'em so the player doesn't have to start over for a single screwup halfway through the 20th map that drops him into lava.

Jeez, guys, it's like you've never even heard of one of these before.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
I think the "hacking" part is being misunderstood here. What they did was simply connect all the playthroughs together by making sure the inventory stayed the same for the next player after completion of each level. Since each recording was done separately.
If you actually watch the video, the weapons are obtained normally throughout the levels and carried onto the next one and each new episode starts out on scratch, just like the game is supposed to be.

So the "hacking" part is only to make sure the game plays fair the way it should be.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
There's also some significant graphical mods on this version, did they list those in the changes?
Judging from the video, they used nQuake with some neat texture packs for the monsters. But if you want some serious overhaul for Quake 1, try Darkplaces with it's hi-res texture pack, it looks insanely good, it almost looks even better than Doom 3.

OT: Wow, that's way more impressive than the already old "world record speedrun", killing every single monster and uncovering every single secret, on Nightmare under 50 minutes... I'm speechless...