BioShock 2 Gets Simultaneous Release on All Platforms

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
BioShock 2 Gets Simultaneous Release on All Platforms

PS3 owners won't have to wait another year and change to get a taste of Rapture, as 2K has confirmed that BioShock 2 will be released at the same time on all platforms.

Though the question of BioShock 2's platform release schedule has been a bit hazy thus far, leading PS3 owners to worry the shooter might not make it to their system of choice at the same time as others, 2K has cleared away the fog: BioShock 2 will release at the same time on all platforms.

Though most had assumed that the sequel to the 2007 (or 2008 if you're a PS3 only kind of gamer) FPS would make it to all platforms at the same time to maximize profitability for 2K, the fact that it took so long for the PS3 version to come after it debuted on the 360 left some a bit scared that the same thing was going to happen again.

Furthermore, during its earnings call [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91957-BioShock-2-Arrives-This-November] earlier this week, 2K only referred to BioShock 2's platforms as "to be announced," and console fans being the manic breed that they are, took this to mean that maybe Sony or Microsoft were going to pay the big bucks to nab a timed exclusive.

Well nobody is really that crazy. Turns out that whoever was running the earnings call was just not the most specific person. The call, a 2K rep told VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/05/29/2k-bioshock-2-will-release-for-pc-ps3-and-360-on-october-30/], was "oddly worded" and the game is "actually out on PS3, 360 and PC on October 30th, just for the record." That's in Europe - the North American edition will hit November 3rd.

2K really needs to get its PR and corporate departments in better sync here. Remember how many times we were told, "for the record," that BioShock 2 was or was not [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90686-BioShock-2-Sea-of-Subtitles] subtitled "Sea of Dreams?" Great, now I have a headache again.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Onyx Oblivion said:
Hey, Europe gets it first, nice for them.
Atleast that will let the Americans wait and see how the game is recieved. Oh who am I kidding. Of course I'm getting it.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The UK gets it earlier than the US? Strange, but I'm not complaining.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Now if only the folks at THQ would learn from this and apply it to Red Faction Guerilla, i dont wanna wait another 94 days to play it on my PC! ><

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Yeees, awesome!
I couldn't bare to not be able to play it for a couple of months because "Oh, hold on, we have to port it first..."

<3 the people at 2K

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
California rest in peace
Simultaneous release
California show your teeth
She's my priestess, I'm your priest
YEAH, YEAH

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Yep I'm definitely getting this game and Bioshock 1 once I can have my personal AI assistant fix the mouse acceleration problems (2040s I presume).

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Err... why? Why can't we just have a release in the UK and America at the same time? It puzzles me.

Oh well. Not like it matters. I'm really worried about this game... hopefully there will be some good news from UK Escapists to dismiss my fears.

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
There will be multiplayer! No, not co-op. Multiplayer. Flaying your friends with drills and setting them on fire. Argh all the games I want to buy are coming out in November and I can't wait...