Skype Gains iPhone Video Calls, Loses China

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Skype Gains iPhone Video Calls, Loses China

Today's been one of those "one step forward, a few billion steps back" sort of days for Skype.

Skype has unveiled a video calling feature for the iPhone, but this rather triumphant reveal is probably turning to ash in the company's mouth right now, as it turns out China has banned the service entirely from its borders. iPhone users can now conduct video calls over both 3G coverage and Wi-Fi connections, to both Skype users with other iPhones or those using the service on their computers. The feature is apparently being rolled out slowly across the globe. Except, of course, in China.

Now, within China, Skype has been completely banned by the government. VOIP services are being limited to two government-owned services: China Unicom and China Telecom. As Geek.com points out: "As they are state-owned they can be state monitored meaning anyone using these services will be subject to having their calls recorded."

For the moment, Skype is still accessible in China via Tom Online, but it's not expected to stay this way for much longer.

Source: Geek

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
Hrrm. I have Skype, but I don't feel like paying to call people's phones...

Also, what is the deal with China? Isolationism doesn't work, you know.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Are we surprised? China may be cherrypicking the parts of capitalism it likes, but at its core it is still a repressive dictatorship with a no-holds-barred philosophy towards keeping its populace in-line. Anything the state cannot directly control and monitor is going to be weeded out.

Not much that can be done about it until China's people, having had tastes of true freedom, decide that it's time to rise up and change how things are done.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Color me surprised. No really, I'm surprised..right...?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
InnerRebellion said:
Also, what is the deal with China? Isolationism doesn't work, you know.
You're right it doesn't, however, so long as foreign companies turn to them for cheap production labor they can snub their noses at whatever they want.

Anytime China does something like this it just makes them look immature. Sure go ahead, monitor what your people are saying via video chat to make sure the rebels aren't planning to blow up your death star, the rest of the world will just sit back and laugh at you because the message sent is that you're paranoid about being criticized.

Amazon warrior

Jul 7, 2009
I don't think there's a facepalm big enough for some of the antics China is getting up to at the moment. There was all that nonsense about the Nobel Peace prize recently too.

The Rogue Wolf said:
Not much that can be done about it until China's people, having had tastes of true freedom, decide that it's time to rise up and change how things are done.
Here's hoping.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
I am really dumbfounded by this. I really don't see any reason why China would ban the use of Skype...have they also banned telephones?

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
HK_01 said:
I am really dumbfounded by this. I really don't see any reason why China would ban the use of Skype...have they also banned telephones?
They've pretty much banned everything not controlled by the government. They probably allow telephones, but you can bet they're bugged and recorded.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Got the update. It was glorious.

Funny this about that is as soon as the patch was finished, I immediately received a video call from my brother.

Back to China: You know why making fun of them is so much fun? Because - like the Amish - they are never going to find out.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
just wait, their middle class is growing and if China continues on its past habits their will be a new government there in the next 50 years

OT:is anyone surprised? it China... they monitor everything including the tourists (especially the tourists - we had at least two guys following us the whole damn time we were there)

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
HankMan said:
vansau said:
As Geek.com points out: "As they are state-owned they can be state monitored meaning anyone using these services will be subject to having their calls recorded."
You mean like the NSA can do right here in America?
Except in America you can criticize the government and still keep your reproductive organs.

Originality

Dec 25, 2010
Maybe someday the people of China will mass-migrate to the rest of the world. Then the government can rule their very own landmass of unpopulated rock.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
That's awesome, the new feature I mean. As for China, yeah, that's pretty much why the world's not a fan of communism. The promotion of the value of state over everything else leads to isolationism, among a great many other terrible things. I'm more sad when I see the so called democratic governments and states promoting personal freedom doing similar shit and getting away with it though.

Suijen

Apr 15, 2009
I have Skype version 5.10 and I'm in Beijing. It works fine.

MortisLegio said:
OT:is anyone surprised? it China... they monitor everything including the tourists (especially the tourists - we had at least two guys following us the whole damn time we were there)
Unless you were at a very sensetive area, the people following you were probably pickpockets.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Suijen said:
I have Skype version 5.10 and I'm in Beijing. It works fine.

MortisLegio said:
Unless you were at a very sensetive area, the people following you were probably pickpockets.
No, pickpockets don't tend to follow you around the whole country (Shanghai,Beijing, Xian)* and yes Im sure it was the same guys
*sorry for any misspellings