Star Wars Visual F/X Artist Grant McCune Dies

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Star Wars Visual F/X Artist Grant McCune Dies

Grant McCune, visual effects artist on A New Hope and Star Trek: The Motion Picture, has died.

Academy Award-winning visual effects artist Grant McCune has succumbed to complications from cancer at age 67. McCune worked on over 100 films, many of which were sci-fi classics such as Star Wars: Episode IV -- A New Hope (in which, Deadline notes, "in addition to his work as chief modelmaker for the groundbreaking film, he also appeared as a Death Star Gunner") and Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

McCune specialized in models and miniatures, and worked on Caddyshack, Firefox, Spaceballs, My Stepmother is an Alien, Ghostbusters II, Speed, Batman Forever, Thirteen Days, and Rambo. He also founded his own company, Grant McCune Design, where he worked as miniature supervisor.

McCune and team won an Oscar in 1978 for their work on Star Wars, beating out the visual effects team from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. He was also nominated in 1980 for his work on Star Trek.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/r-i-p-grant-mccune/]

(Image [http://www.gmdfx.com/portfolio-starwars.php])

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
We should track down this cancer and beat it with a sledgehammer until it turns into juice.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Whats with all this news on death!?!?!?!? Give me some happy news of kittens rescuing puppies from wells or something

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
Enough news about death. Come on, Escapist Magazine, report some news that will cheer me up.
Very unfortunate for this man to pass away.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
He must have just found out what George was planning for the sequels after the 3D Edits. Poor poor man RIP.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
KefkaCultist said:
Whats with all this news on death!?!?!?!? Give me some happy news of kittens rescuing puppies from wells or something
Not puppies but this is close:OT: That stinks but thus is part of life. Just be grateful for his life and influences.

DAOWAce

Aug 7, 2007
Country
US
Another dead from something completely preventable, sigh..

More and more continue to get piled on for reasons why I hate the country I've lived in my entire life. People needlessly keep dying, I can't stand it, but I won't angrily rant here.

[small]Cliche, but,[/small] Requiescat in pace..

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ah from back in the day when ppl actually liked special fx

:( I've outgrown Star Wars, but it's still a piece of my childhood (and of course in no small part to the fx)

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Damn. I hate Cancer. It literally effects every family.

[sub]He worked on Spaceballs too? Now I'm really upset because everyone who worked on that film deserves a medal IMO.[/sub]