Japanese Roboticist Builds Helper Robot Out of Off the Shelf Parts

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Japanese Roboticist Builds Helper Robot Out of Off the Shelf Parts

Move over helper monkeys, there's a new non-human assistant slowly shuffling into town.

An amateur roboticist in Japan has constructed a humanoid helper robot using only off-the-shelf components. The robot, called THKR-4, was an entrant in the 3rd ROBO-ONE Humanoid Helper Project, held in Yokohama, Japan.

In an early New Year celebration, THKR-4 walks to the fridge, opens it, and takes out a small bottle of what looks like champagne. The video then cuts to the robot pouring a drink, which is a little nerve-wracking, as it never seems to have that good a grip on the bottle. The robot also pulls the string on a party popper, and gives one of the men in the video a shoulder rub. Well, a shoulder poke anyway, as its fingers don't look like they actually move.

It's not clear whether the robot is autonomous, or has to be remote controlled. You never see a controller in the video, but the robot does have an antenna on its back, which might indicate it's being piloted by someone off-camera. Of course, that's just speculation and for all I know the robot might be hyper-intelligent and should be made president of the world. Obviously, THKR-4 isn't going to revolutionize the service industry just yet, but it's a good step towards robotic assistants, and all the more impressive when you consider that it was essentially built by a hobbyist.

Source: Robots Dreams [http://www.robots-dreams.com/2010/12/robo-one-humanoid-helper-robot-project-thkr-4-parties-video.html#comments] via Dvice [http://dvice.com/archives/2010/12/helper-robot-of.php]

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Well now that is impressive. Given the off-the-shelf build, I mean .. though my money is on remote control I guess. Between the sounds of a computer in the background and the antenna, and the fact that new robots basically need custom operating systems to my knowledge in order to be autonomous, which take weeks to months of full-time work to put together..

Still, yeah, can't be sure, but it's definitely saying something about the position robotics has gotten to that the robot was made without the use of custom-manufactured parts.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Apple is gonna patent this, make Irobots. So that in 2015 we will all have our own autonomos Will Smith!

*puts on sunglasses* yeeeeeaaaahhh!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Holy brains on that guy. builds bipedal robot with articulating arms and hands from off the shelf parts as a hobby...

funny that the robot has buttocks XD

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Would have been so funny if the robot pulled the popper and then fell over backwards due to the force of it, R2-D2 style.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Even IF it is remote controlled, that is still rather impressive.
That is some difficult engineering right there.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
So we are going to give our robotic servents the crapiest jobs when they are massproduced...
Yeah i can't see that is coming back to bite ous in our assess.

Jokes aside that is quite awesome for someone that build robots as an hobby.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Would have been so funny if the robot pulled the popper and then fell over backwards due to the force of it, R2-D2 style.
LoL

for that comment i award you this

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
And yet in the time it took to get his drink he could have poured, finished and poured another one. Pfft lazy japanese!

More seriously that is pretty dam impressive making a functioning bot out of shelf parts although it does seem to be RC

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
It left the fridge open!
For the record, I think remote control. The movements at times were unnecessary, or uneconomical. And I think it would take years to program a robot to do those simple tasks, like recognising the fridge, bottle, glass etc. But then, I know next to nothing about robots, so it may be possible... I still say remote control.
It's still very impressive though. Especially since it wasn't a project or anything by a team, just one hobbyist. It's great to see what we can do with robots now... Can't wait for 2031 or something.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
Humm. I agree that it could be and possibly being controlled by remote, but the fact that it was built by a hobbyist is pretty amazing.

HankMan said:
Can those Japs please design some better robot hands? They're just so out of place on this model: It's like robot skinned a human and wore their hands as a joke.
I do also agree with this statement. On robots that have smaller builds then humans, they shouldn't have human sized hands. It looks crap.