Ubisoft's Best-Sellers Feature Pets, Babies, and Crazy Rabbits

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

Despite having titles like Assassin's Creed in its roster, Ubisoft's bread and butter appears to come from the casual realm.

The biggest selling franchises for videogame giant Ubisoft might make most of the people reading this article cringe. Despite the popularity of Rainbow Six Vegas [http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-Brotherhood-Playstation-3/dp/B003L8DXOI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293807842&sr=8-2], nothing beats insane rabbits for Ubisoft.

Or perhaps I should say: Rabbids. A graphic on Siliconera breaks down each of Ubisoft's most popular franchises, and Rayman Raving Rabbids [http://www.amazon.com/Raving-Rabbids-Travel-Time-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B003O6FVN8/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1293808199&sr=1-1] has moved the most units by a long shot with around 29 million copies sold.

However, the runner up is a core franchise: Rainbow Six Vegas with 23 million units sold. After that we have a tie between Splinter Cell and, wait for it, the Imagine [http://www.amazon.com/Petz-Dogz-Pack-Nintendo-DS/dp/B001EAWM4C/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1293808702&sr=1-1] titles with 19 million in sales.

It might make a tear come out of the hardcore gamer's eye to know that has Petz beat out Splinter Cell in lifetime sales, but there's really nothing wrong with this. We should want Ubisoft to find as many avenues for profit as it can, and I'm sure plenty of gamers have been enjoying raising their virtual pets, battling with nutty rabbids, and becoming a babysitter or teacher through their DS's in recent years. These franchises aren't shovelware, they just have a very different audience that the hardcore gamer.

What these numbers don't reveal are actual profits. Rabbids, Petz, and Imagine may have sold millions, but this is across many different titles and platforms. Giant Bomb [http://www.giantbomb.com/imagine/62-830/games/] lists at least 32 titles in the Imagine series alone, and the Petz series probably isn't too far off from that. We're also not privy to the budget figures here, so it's entirely possible that Assassin's Creed has generated more revenue than Rabbids based on retail price, DLC, and other factors. Ultimately, the situation at Ubisoft is probably what would be ideal for every publisher, with strong footholds in both the casual and hardcore markets.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/12/30/what-is-ubisofts-highest-selling-franchise/]

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Shame that AC is that far behind, but if they make a lot of money from shovelwear, then they have more for other games.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
gah Vegas is an Abomination of the Tow Clancy Rainbow Six name! >.< (good shooter but surprised it ranked 2nd)

cant say im too surprised that Rayman's Raving Rabbids made it to number one. way more Wii's than any other console and was seeing a crap load of their commercials when the game came out.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
It might make a tear come out of the hardcore gamer's eye to know that has Petz beat out Splinter Cell in lifetime sales, but there's really nothing wrong with this.
Not on this site. If a game isn't catered to what they like, it's labeled as shovelware.

Though I'm glad the Rabbids franchise is doing well. Those games are a blast.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Aura Guardian said:
Tom Goldman said:
It might make a tear come out of the hardcore gamer's eye to know that has Petz beat out Splinter Cell in lifetime sales, but there's really nothing wrong with this.
Not on this site. If a game isn't catered to what they like, it's labeled as shovelware.

Example: the Imagine series.

Although I will admit, the Rabbids games is pretty good. Except the latest one is a disappointment. Only five minigames?

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Delusibeta said:
Aura Guardian said:
Tom Goldman said:

Example: the Imagine series.

Although I will admit, the Rabbids games is pretty good. Except the latest one is a disappointment. Only five minigames?
Best example.
And I know. but it's damn fun

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I'd like to see the numbers on individual games, myself. For instance, what were the sales on Settlers 7 after they added their horrible DRM, as compared to prior generations?

Also, the Anno series isn't doing nearly as bad as all that. While 1404/DoD is the fourth main game in the series, all three of its predecessors were published by Sunflowers GmbH, and I don't know that their numbers are included in Ubisoft's list. So that's 5 million units of a single issue (and its expansion) of a relatively obscure city-building franchise on the PC - not bad at all! (In contrast, Ubisoft has been publishing the Settlers since Heritage of Kings - four games ago)

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Red Steel 2 is behind Shaun White Skateboarding? I honestly didn't like that game. And I admit, I enjoyed Raving Rabbids 1, but after that, Ubisoft was milking the franchise. Thankfully they took Rayman since he deserves better.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Unhappy Crow said:
Red Steel 2 is behind Shaun White Skateboarding? I honestly didn't like that game. And I admit, I enjoyed Raving Rabbids 1, but after that, Ubisoft was milking the franchise. Thankfully they took Rayman since he deserves better.
Single format vs multi-format, I think.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Tom Goldman said:

Ultimately, the situation at Ubisoft is probably what would be ideal for every publisher, with strong footholds in both the and hardcore markets.
Spelling mistake.:p

It's not what I expected for sure anyway.