Gargantuan Uncharted-Style Lost Cave Undergoing Survey

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Gargantuan Uncharted-Style Lost Cave Undergoing Survey

In a remote area of Vietnam lies a massive cave that could house a city block, and probably holds some ancient secret Nathan Drake is looking for.

There's a hidden world in Vietnam's Annamite Mountains called Hang Son Doong that sounds like it could be a location in an Uncharted [http://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones-Complete-Adventure-Collection/dp/B001E75QH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293897573&sr=8-1] game. The multi-million year old cave has barely been explored and is one of the largest in the world.

So large, in fact, that you could park a 747 inside of one of its areas, and its 300-foot-wide, over 600-foot-tall passage could house a skyscraper. Han Son Doong, which translates to "mountain river cave," even contains its own jungle of 100-foot-tall trees and "wispy clouds" can be seen near its ceiling. National Geographic describes it as thus:

The light beaming from above reveals a tower of calcite on the cave floor that is more than 200 feet tall, smothered by ferns, palms, and other jungle plants. Stalactites hang around the edges of the massive skylight like petrified icicles. Vines dangle hundreds of feet from the surface; swifts are diving and cutting in the brilliant column of sunshine. The tableau could have been created by an artist imagining how the world looked millions of years ago.

National Geographic followed the second expedition to ever enter the massive cave, with the first taking place in just 2009. The entrance would have remained secret if not for a local that discovered it as a child, but forgot about it for years until a recent rediscovery.

Han Son Doong is estimated to have formed 2 to 5 million years ago, and is just one of many caves still not surveyed in Vietnam's Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park. In the second expedition, the cave's explorers were able to surmount the 200-foot-tall wall of mud that ended their first effort make it through, but they say there is still much work to be done until they're done with the 2.5 mile Han Son Doong. The cave is an explorer's dream, and gives legitimacy to the secret worlds found in games like Uncharted 2 [http://www.amazon.com/UNCHARTED-2-Among-Thieves-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0F5I2/ref=dp_ob_title_vg]. It likely doesn't house the tree of life though, so don't become a violent warlord on its account.

Check out National Geographic's photo gallery of the incredible Han Son Doong here [http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/01/largest-cave/peter-photography].

Source: io9 [http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/01/largest-cave/jenkins-text/1]

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Wow, that is pretty incredible. Who knows what kind of life is in there, undiscovered insects or animals. I'm happy that we still haven't found everything out on this planet, here's to many more hidden caves to be found!

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
That looks cool. I'd like to visit....probably end up breaking something valuable though.

Wonder if there's any unexpected life in there?

You never know :)

epikAXE

Save the planet: It has beer!
Oct 26, 2009
Excuse my ignorance...but what a 747?

OT: I love stories like this, makes us realise how ignorant we are as humans :p

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I hope they remember to put down lots of torches and watch out for creepers.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
epikAXE said:

OT: I love stories like this, makes us realise how ignorant we are as humans :p
Its the standard passenger airplane, like what you fly in when you travel.

I saw this in national geographic itself. Never thought Id want to go to Vietnam, but here this is, so scratch that!

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Now THAT would be a documentary I'd watch.

epikAXE said:
Fairly certain he means a Boeing 747. It's a giant airplane.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Azure-Supernova said:
Wow, that is pretty incredible. Who knows what kind of life is in there, undiscovered insects or animals. I'm happy that we still haven't found everything out on this planet, here's to many more hidden caves to be found!
That was my first thought too. This could be an extremely unique biome seperated from the rest of the area.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Little do we know they will soon disturb a seal. Then we will be overrun by the imprisoned cannibal mutants, demons, or maybe find out Drow were not made up and they will slowly rise to enslave our civilization.

I mean let's be honest, huge underground caverns like this aren't just a staple of exploration-adventure fiction, they are a horror staple too!

Maybe this is like the caves from "Descent".

Or maybe we will see the release of the flying Polyps.

Or maybe we will see ancient spores waft out starting the zombie apocolypse!

Plenty to "look forward to" for us horror fans.

Personally I think that local had his brain altered which is why he "forgot" for so long, so humanity would never uncover the dark secrets we are about to unleash! Sadly it didn't take permanantly.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
After looking at that thing, all I can think is, "It looks like a level of Halo! :O"

Still, I kinda want to see it, if nothing else than to go spelunking without any claustrophobia.

CapnRaccoon

Jun 16, 2010
Toasty Virus said:
That's pretty badass.

I hope monsters live there, we need us some monsters.
We need them.
I don't think you guys understand how much I crave monsters in my life.

Maybe Dinosaurs, they're bad ass - Or like..some crazy RPG stuff, you know.

MentalBakura

Welcome To Das Oontz
Feb 21, 2009
I seen the images from the National Geographic website a couple of weeks ago. Amazing stuff.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Holy fuck. A skyscraper? Man, I have to start planning out my empire, and fast.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
Bet it has a fuckload of diamond and obsidian >_>.

Ahh Minecraft...*ahem*.

Seriously though, that is breathtaking, I plan on visiting Vietnam sometime, such a beautiful looking place and it would be truly epic if you could go to this cave.