How VVVVVV Saved an Independent Developer's Career

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
How VVVVVV Saved an Independent Developer's Career

In a look back at 2010, VVVVVV creator Terry Cavanagh reveals that the world of independent development isn't all unicorns and rainbows.

With the enthusiasm and amazing creativity coming out of the independent videogame development scene today, sometimes it's hard to realize that there's still a lot of blood, sweat, and tears behind each release. On VVVVVV [http://store.steampowered.com/app/70300/] creator Terry Cavanagh's blog, he recently offered a realistic perspective behind indie game development, and revealed that he nearly faltered until VVVVVV came along.

Despite garnering a strong following by creating titles such as release [http://distractionware.com/blog/?p=672] of VVVVVV in January 2010. Cavanagh had taken out a €15,000 ($20,000) loan in 2008, ran out of money in a year, and was forced to go on unemployment for six months. By November 2009, he was flat broke, his credit cards were maxed out, his bank account was overdrawn, and he moved back in with his parents while taking out loans from friends and family to make ends meet.

Meanwhile, VVVVVV, once a side project, was ballooning. Cavanagh thought it'd be his final project as a full-time independent game developer, and wanted to make it good. In a way, it almost seems like Cavanagh's hardship translated into VVVVVV's development quality.

Cavanagh admits that he may have made a "mess" of VVVVVV's release, including a "misjudged" original price of $15, but despite this "fumbling" and the game's limited distribution through Cavanagh's website and Kongregate, it was a success. VVVVVV sold 312 copies in one day, almost 2000 in a month, and 3000 by the time it was released on Steam [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103340-VVVVVV-Celebrates-Steam-Release-with-Huge-Price-Cut] in September 2010 with a price reduction to $5. He's not able to share Steam sales figures, but says VVVVVV has been doing well on the platform. Cavanagh was able to pay back his debt and is now back on track as a full-time independent developer.

Cavanagh's current project is an ambitious, alternate-history RPG called another [http://distractionware.com/blog/?cat=65] example of how smaller operations are carving out a significant niche in the videogame industry by the skin of their noses.

Source: Terry Cavanagh's Blog [http://distractionware.com/blog/?p=1594]

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Being an independent game developer is pretty much like being an entrepreneur in the physical world. It can take a lot of time and devotion (and money), and sometimes you're putting everything on the line for a risky idea that may or may not work. And sometimes it's the knowledge that you've passed the point of no return that can push you to create something highly successful.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Wow, I had no idea that Mr. Cavanagh was in such dire straits... I'm just glad that I, in some small way, helped by buying, enjoying, and telling my friends about VVVVVV. (By the way, it's really good; get it if you like Metroidvania games, self-flagellation-esque difficulty in places, great music, or supporting people who are financially screwed.)

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Im glad that he got his debts paid up and is gonna release more games.
On a note I will use this article in the future against anyone that complains about dlc or games not being free...etc

Solidplasma

Statistical Improbability
Aug 5, 2009
Terry is awesome. I'm glad VVVVVV turned out as well as it did, for his sake and ours.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Finally an uplifting story after all the stories of people dieing..

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
I love it when life works out for someone who's really tried. I may even buy VVVVVV. In fact, i'll download the demo now.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I remember this game and the discussing of it's name xD turns out that it wasn't pretty lame. [sub]Word[/sub]

But that is uplifting and good news!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Huh. I just played through the VVVVVV demo, and realized that the basics of the game is exactly what I had in mind for a platformer a couple of years back.

I never figured out how I wanted to do my level designs, though, so nothing happened with the idea. Glad to see that someone else had the same idea and managed to create such a success from it. :)

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
As someone who has been following Terry for quite a while, I was so glad that this game took off so well.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
LeonLethality said:
As someone who has been following Terry for quite a while, I was so glad that this game took off so well.
Your avatar, what is it from?

OT: Good for him. Yeah, it's short, sue me.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
That's some good news, VVVVVV is one of my favourite games this year, so I'm really glad it got made, and that he can continue to make games. :)

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
three words: veni vidi vici

i managed to finish that level and it only took me 30 mins to do so

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Good for him. It's always heartwarming to read a success story, even if it's compressed in a news post.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Wabblefish said:
That looks like a fun game, what are the gameplay mechanics? From that picture it only looks like another generic Shift game except not a flash game...
One button inverts gravity for your character, get hit by a spike and it's back to the checkpoint for you. Far better than it sounds.

Here's the demo, on the web. [http://www.kongregate.com/games/TerryCavanagh/vvvvvv-demo?acomplete=vvvvvv]