Square-Enix Announces New Front Mission, Nier

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Square-Enix Announces New Front Mission, Nier

Square-Enix has just announced two of its E3 games: a dramatic new twist on mech franchise Front Mission and Nier, a mysterious action-adventure game.

Square-Enix is on a mission to be more than just a company that produces games full of spiky hair and giant swords, as evidenced by the two games the publisher just announced for its E3 lineup. Both another game developed by a Western company to a brand-new IP, they show that Square-Enix is trying pretty hard to diversify its portfolio.

Front Mission Evolved is the latest in the company's long-running mech-centric military franchise. It sounds like it eschews the meticulous strategy and customization of the series for more straightforward third-person shooter gameplay. Developed by Double Helix Games of Silent Hill: Homecoming fame, Evolved features a single-player campaign and online multiplayer. It will probably alienate die-hard fans upset they don't have to keep track of ten different kinds of stats for each individual component of their robot's arms any more.

Nier is another action title, developed by Cavia, whose resume includes a number of anime games and the somewhat forgettable Bullet Witch, and puts players in the role of an "unyielding protagonist" named Nier, who is attempting to find a cure for a disease that has infected his daughter. He fights with "powerful allies and a mysterious book." Fighting with books? See - knowledge is power!

So there you have it - two more representatives of the new (and obviously Western-friendly) Square-Enix. Will it be enough to give the company a new global face?

PeterDawson

Feb 10, 2009
Well, The Front Mission change doesn't bug me much since it hasn't been given the usual series number, thus I'd treat it more like a side game like we did with Final Fantasy Adventure or whatever those GB games were called. I'm more concerned if the studio will mess up the gameplay like they did Homecoming and continue their tradition of terrible storytelling.

Nier sounds interesting, not much else to say. Book combat sounds awesome, but then, I'm an Okami fan, so anything against the norm appeals to me.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Psychosocial said:
McCa said:
Psychosocial said:
Fighting with books?

What.

The.

FUCK!
That.

OR did you mean using a book as a weapon that's at least... No wait its still stupid.
Yeah, I meant as in using them as a mean of fighting.
[obscure reference]Haven't you ever heard of Writewell's Book of Better Grammar?[/obscure reference]

Anyways, it looks like Nier Front Mission is taking a few pages from the Gundam and Warhammer40k books of mech design.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
These look pretty interesting, but I wish they'd focus more on the Western release of FF XIII and leave new projects for afterwards!

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Another Front Mission? Hells yeah! I love that series.

Internet Kraken said:
Anyways, it looks like Nier is taking a few pages from the Gundam and Warhammer40k books of mech design.
The picture is from Front Mission.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Where's Front Mission PSP Square Enix? :(

Uh, I meant, an action game, well, remember all those cool CG movies, I can only imagine it will be a good and entertaining ride, considering that FM might be even bigger and better than the "slow tin cans" in MechWarriors.

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
Initial reaction: Seriously, Bullet Witch? That's one of the worst games for the 360. I could easily be surprised by these two, but Silent Hill: Homecoming and Bullet Witch aren't exactly of high pedigree.

Rodger

Jan 27, 2009
What? No mention of Order of War, a WWII RTS? Ok, so maybe another WWII game is kinda forgettable...but how about Supreme Commander 2? Pretty sure they're showing those two in their E3 lineup.

Anyway, I look forward to the Front Mission game personally. Might not be an SRPG (one of my personal favorite genres, up there with (J)RPG's) but a third person shooter where the shooter is a mech still gets a thumbs up in my book.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Hooray, more Front Mission!

Also, to the folks who are saying that a book is a bad weapon...

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
That picture... is it possibly Metal Gear?!

Alright, I'll stop.

I think Square Enix should stick to what their good at, and stop trying to appease the American market. They'll sell out eventually at this rate.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
It sounds like it eschews the meticulous strategy and customization of the series for more straightforward third-person shooter gameplay.

I guess since it's not numbered it's okay.

However,

It will probably alienate die-hard fans upset they don't have to keep track of ten different kinds of stats for each individual component of their robot's arms any more.
That kind of thing is getting really annoying, and it's starting to pop up in pretty much every artical you post. It's not that it's actually that important, but I'm under the impression this is at least a semi professional online magazine. And taking cheap shots at every target you can this way seems befitting of an average forum troll. And It's not like the TBS community doesn't get enough flak as is.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
cainx10a said:
Where's Front Mission PSP Square Enix? :(

Uh, I meant, an action game, well, remember all those cool CG movies, I can only imagine it will be a good and entertaining ride, considering that FM might be even bigger and better than the "slow tin cans" in MechWarriors.
If it plays like mechwarrior or heavy gear I'll be happy, but by the description of "third person action shooter" I say it's somewhere more along the lines of mechassault

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
First they don't release the awesomely acclaimed Front Mission 5, and now we're getting some run-n-gun game instead of a strategy title? What a bunch of jerks!

Well, then again Front Mission Gun Hazard was pretty cool, for a SNES game.