Old Republic Dev Builds Another Stunning Lightsaber

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Old Republic Dev Builds Another Stunning Lightsaber

Bradley W. Lewis uses his Jedi powers to put together a gorgeous new model at breakneck speeds.

Lewis, the senior visual effects artists for Star Wars: The Old Republic [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B001CWXAP2/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1294061199&sr=1-3 ], and the man who built a lightsaber [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103135-Old-Republic-Dev-Builds-Amazing-Model-Lightsaber] so good that Mark Hamill felt compelled to autograph it twice, is back with another replica, this time of Luke Skywalker's saber from Return of the Jedi [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Episode-VI-Widescreen/dp/B000FQVX78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294061061&sr=8-1 ].

[gallery=72]

This new saber represented a number of new challenges for Lewis, as the handle is much narrower than the previous models he's built, so it was much harder to fit everything in. Not only that, but the crystal chamber is spring loaded, and getting that mechanism to fit - and still work - presented its own difficulties. Finally, as the icing on an already tricky cake he used a new technique to build the blade, which he hoped would be much brighter than he previous efforts.

As well as lighting up, the saber also makes the appropriate lightsaber sounds - including that low "whummm" noise when you move the saber around. The build took Lewis just under two months, which is half the time he normally takes. This saber was built to a strict deadline however, and had to be done by Christmas. He doesn't say why he had to push himself so hard, but just knowing the speed with which it went together makes it all the more impressive. There are still a few finishing touches to do, but the saber is effectively complete.

If you want to read a very detailed account of how the saber went together, including dozens of photos showing the entire build process, you can find them on Lewis's blog [http://www.slothfurnace.com/sabers/ROTJLuke_01.html]. It makes for fascinating reading, whether you're a Star Wars fan, or just like seeing things being made.

Source: Nerdcore [http://www.nerdcore.de/wp/2011/01/03/diy-return-of-the-jedi-luke-lightsaber/]

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I really, really want one.
I still remember dueling with colored balloons, reenacting the fight between Vader and Obi-Wan, after I first say A New Hope so many years ago. Maybe when I have the time and resources I'll build one myself.

But mine will actually cut stuff.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
That's really cool, I wanna build one as well!
And he probably wanted to give it to someone as an X-mas present.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
o that is so damn nice! love the fact he spends so much time on Details that most of the time won't even be seen. He must really like pulling the sabers a part to show ppl the innards XD

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Bradley W. Lewis uses his Jedi power together a gorgeous new model at breakneck speeds.
You'd think that out of all the eager young applicants for this position, one of them could write a complete sentence for their pull-quote. This is getting more and more common here, and as a publisher club member, I'm starting to take it pretty personal. I don't like paying to support another person's illiteracy.

Is our Escapists learning?

UPDATE: Thank you. My eyes can uncross now.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I WANT ONE!
It'd be so cool, ten years from now, if I had swords and axes and all the medieval stuff hanging up in my house, and a god damn LIGHTSABER!

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
....Awesome. I want one really badly...

Gah...If i only had the skill to make one myself.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I am probably going to be legally required to stay away from those.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
cairocat said:
Of course now the next step is to make it actually slice shit up xD
Soon. Soon it will be possible.

I really want one of these. Even if you don't like Star Wars at all you all have to admit that a lightsaber is the coolest weapon ever imagined.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
GeorgW said:
That's really cool, I wanna build one as well!
And he probably wanted to give it to someone as an X-mas present.
Or to taunt people after christmas at a new years eve party. He would have the most powerful glowstick at a rave.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Bradley W. Lewis uses his Jedi power together a gorgeous new model at breakneck speeds.
You'd think that out of all the eager young applicants for this position, one of them could write a complete sentence for their pull-quote. This is getting more and more common here, and as a publisher club member, I'm starting to take it pretty personal. I don't like paying to support another person's illiteracy.

I'll just quote this and let you re-read your own post. I'm curious if you can spot all your own mistakes before you condescend.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
manythings said:
SaintWaldo said:
Logan Westbrook said:

I'll just quote this and let you re-read your own post. I'm curious if you can spot all your own mistakes before you condescend.
Actually, no, you should really point them out, since you're obviously so smart.

And, by the way, that's not condescension; it's derision.

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
I still don't get it. Is the light coming out of an actual ray? Am I correct to understand that there is no light bulb involved in all this?

All the usual, market stuff, usually have light bulbs, which kinda defeats the whole purpose and point. I saw the crystal and everything, but there is no video of the thing and it's hard to tell from the pictures which show it either on or off...

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
He used an led chain for the blade, and leds all over to get the crystal to light and the button handles. Go to his blog it goes into pretty good detail the hows and the whats of what he did at each step. Granted i think this is way beyond alot of people workshop skills, but i know some people out there will be ordering parts like tomorrow, to try and make this.

And really i think it is the most kick ass lightsaber i have ever seen the amount of detail and work he puts into them is amazing. no wonder hamill autographed them. most places you can buy machiened one that cost a few 100 bucks are not near that level of omg quality.