Konami Unleashing Silent Hill Music Box on Japan

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Konami Unleashing Silent Hill Music Box on Japan

The eight-disk set contains music from all the Silent Hill games, including Homecoming, which most Japanese gamers have never played.

Even the biggest critic of the Silent Hill games would be hard-pressed to argue that they didn't have some pretty fantastic music. This hasn't escaped Konami's notice, and the publisher is bringing out a box set of Silent Hill music for Japanese gamers' aural delectation.

The set contains eight disks, one for each of the seven Silent Hill games released so far, including Silent Hill: Homecoming, which was never released in Japan. The final disk contains music from the Silent Hill rail shooter arcade game - which came out in Japan and Europe, but never made it to the US - as well as early demos of various songs. The set also comes with a bonus DVD featuring a trailer reel from the games.

Unfortunately, as good as the music is, it might prove a little too pricey for most people. The set costs ¥14,700, or around $181, which is roughly twenty bucks a disk if you count the bonus DVD, and that's before you factor in the costs in actually importing it from Japan. If you can make it to the Konami Style [http://www.konamistyle.jp/item/70660/%E3%80%90%E9%80%81%E6%96%99%E7%84%A1%E6%96%99%E3%80%91SILENT-HILL-SOUNDS-BOX-(CD)] store in Tokyo though, you can save a whole twenty dollars.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/12/31/silent-hill-sound-box-spans-the-entire-series/]

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Damn. It really is a fantastic set of soundtracks, but I can't see me paying that much for a pack of music, most of which I've heard many times before. It probably has some excellent casing or something to try and sweeten the deal though.

I didn't realise Homecoming was never released in Japan, that seems a little odd. But hey, I learned a little piece of trivia today.

EDIT: Eh, that case isn't anything special.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'd buy it, but the SH soundtracks aren't very good for recreational listening.

Fantastic when playing, but not something you really want to listen to outside of the game.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting, but well out of my price range for what you get, especially seeing as I'm not THAT big a fan, and still am a bit irritated with them for censoring Silent Hill 2.

I find it kind of ironic that they are trying to make money off of Silent Hill after having more or less abandoned the series though by all accounts. The guys doing it having "moved on" to do the Saw franchise games, which have been pretty bad, and also Silent Hill hasn't been the same really. It either needs a return of the original people, or a bullet in the head, not a few jolts of electricity to inspire some twitching in the release of music CD collections.

I'll also be honest in saying that I didn't think "Homecoming" was all that bad as far as games go, it just needed to be polished up more than it was. "Origins" was an interesting idea, but again needed at least a few months of tweaking. I kind of thought "Shattered Memories" from what I've played of it was interesting, but to me it just wasn't Silent Hill. Ironically the game out of the recent three that was received the best is my least favorite from the franchise.

Nuke the Saw games (horribly), and transfer the original team back or kill the franchise. Or better yet, if these guys like the Saw property that much, why not let them do some "research" by placing them in Jigsaw like traps that torture/kill them for not coding a new Silent Hill game. Too slow, pain, low quality, pain, bad game... death. Survival only coming from releasing another good Silent Hill game in a timely manner. (hums Saw music).

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
Varying levels of want.

I love the music to death, but I can only agree that the music as a whole isn't something you listen to all the way through during your daily consumption of music.

That isn't to say that I haven't ever sat and listened to SH music straight through before -- it's just such a rare occurrence that spending nearly 200 dollars to do so without requiring the help of youtube seems like a poor investment.

cyberspace-exile

Jan 17, 2009
while i love the music of the silent hill games... thats a bit much for me... shame its not coming out in europe or america for a reasonable price

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I love the music from the Silent Hill games. The price for this set though seems a bit high. If this was around $99 - $120 then I would strongly consider buying it.