Inception, The Usual Suspects Actor Pete Postlethwaite Dies

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Inception, The Usual Suspects Actor Pete Postlethwaite Dies

Rosy-cheeked character actor Pete Postlethwaite, the tattooed priest in Romeo + Juliet, has died at age 64.

His name may not have been immediately recognizable, but his face certainly was. Actor Pete Postlethwaite has succumbed to cancer, and passed away in a Shropshire hospital at 64. In recent years, Postlethwaite appeared in The Town, Inception and Clash of the Titans, but his work in film and television goes back over 30 years.

This work includes appearances in Mel Gibson's Hamlet, The Usual Suspects, DragonHeart, Romeo + Juliet, Brassed Off, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Amistad, Æon Flux, and The Omen. Postlethwaite was nominated for an Academy Award for his role in 1993's In The Name of the Father, and was appointed to the Order of the British Empire in 2003.

Upon hearing of Postlethwaite's passing, friend and colleague Bill Nighy mourned the passing of "a rare and remarkable man... he is irreplaceable," reports the BBC. To me, Postlethwaite will always be the creepy old man in James and the Giant Peach, the one who gave James a bag of glowing green crocodile tongues.

Source: BBC News [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12106753]

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I always liked him, but never knew the name of that guy... and now I learn it when it won't matter anymore. *sad*.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
There goes my good mood for today. This always happens when an actor or comedian I like dies.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Ah, I can't remember him from Inception... can somebody remind me? I do rememeber him from other films like Romeo + Juliet though. It's a shame he's gone... another good actor bites the dust.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Flamezdudes said:
Ah, I can't remember him from Inception... can somebody remind me? I do rememeber him from other films like Romeo + Juliet though. It's a shame he's gone... another good actor bites the dust.
He was the dad, the one that was dying.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I will always remember him mainly for his role in Sharpe. His character was amazing (a complete bastard), but just awe-inspiring.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
he was always known to me as "that guy," great character actor, just too bad he was never a household name :(

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Well that's a pity. I'll remember him as the guy that killed Sharpe's wife, but given how much time I had to spend studying Romeo+Juliet in GCSE english it's hard to forget that too.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
dastardly said:
Flamezdudes said:
He was the dad, the one that was dying.
Gah, now I remember... he was good. Damn! :(

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
I recognize him, but I've only seen him in Inception, and there he looks nothing like in that picture.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Sad times, he was great in Inception, he didn't do much mind, but it was an amazing act he performed.

God rest, and bless his family.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
Wow, I really liked him as an actor, he always put in amazing performaces even though he was always in the you were going to forget. R.I.P, I will miss you.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
wait Inception...ohh right the dad
and I think I just heard his name in the Spill.com review for Clash of the Titans
and I still haven't see The Town agh
wow so many deaths lately :/