Director of Moon Jealous of Sam Raimi's World of Warcraft Gig

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Director of Moon Jealous of Sam Raimi's World of Warcraft Gig

Duncan Jones, son of David Bowie and director of sci-fi flick Moon, thinks Raimi's WoW film may buck the "videogame movie" trend.

Jones has got a pretty impressive pedigree. He is the 39 year old son of glam rock legend David Bowie and the American model Mary Angela Barnett, and because of that he's also known as Zowie Bowie or Joey Bowie. Jones directed the independent science fiction film called Moon starring Sam Rockwell, which in 2009 won the BAFTA for Best British Independent Film and netted Jones the Douglas Hickox Award for a great debut into the British film industry. On top of all that, Duncan Jones is a lifelong gamer, and he is "hugely jealous" that Sam Raimi is directing the silver screen adaptation of Blizzard's monster MMO World of Warcraft. But he's also pretty sure that Raimi is approaching the source material the correct way and that the film may be the best videogame movie to date.

"I'm hugely jealous of Sam Raimi. I really believe World of Warcraft could be the launch of computer games as good films," Jones said. "From the little I've read of interviews with him the way he's approaching it makes so much sense. It's not worrying about how the game plays, it's about creating the world of the game and investing the audience in that world."

He thinks that is the problem that many directors have had adapting games is that they are not true gamers like he is.

"I'm very cynical of the number of directors who say they're actual gamers," Jones said. "I'm a real gamer and I think there are less real gamers involved in directing only because you have to spend so much time making films that there's no time to be a hardcore gamer. I'm just slightly insane and I stay up all night playing games."

Yep, he's one of us. If Raimi doesn't work out, maybe Jones would be a good substitute?

Source: NME [http://www.nme.com/movies/news/duncan-jones-says-world-of-warcraft-could-be-first/201828]

Reveras

Nov 9, 2009
Greeeg whachu be doin' mon. Type slower next time, hint: approaching the source

And yep, he'd do just fiiiiiiiiine.

Wolfinton

Jan 1, 2010
Am I the only one who read this as "Dictator of the Moon Jelous of Sam Raimi".

OT: Awesome.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Wolfinton said:
Am I the only one who read this as "Dictator of the Moon Jelous of Sam Raimi".
You'd better patent that, it would make for an awesome movie title.

OT: I don't really know how good a WoW movie will be, but Sam Raimi is the most competent director yet to take a shot at a game-based movie, so who knows.

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
Having watched Moon, I can agree it would be awesome if Jones took a crack at a video game based movie.

Feb 13, 2008
I really believe World of Warcraft could be the launch of computer games as good films
Seriously? Even putting aside my feelings towards that Cocaine-derivative for a moment, do you think that any MMO could make a good film?

The list of successful transitions from one media form to another could be listed on the back of a stamp - and trying to create a two hour, action-packed, dramatic, thoughtful masterpiece from ANY game requires you throw out most of the material that's holding it together.

Portal? Possibly. Mirror's Edge? Possibly. Mainly because they're a single character forced perspective that blends the exposition into the action, and finishes quickly.

Left 4 Dead? Nope. Half-Life? Nope. HALO? Nope - and each of those is way less complex than the whole WoWktionary that you'd need just to understand their background.

Hint: If a red-shirt can defeat the background writer, there's no way Johnny Director is even going to be able to cope with that level of detail. EVEN Sam Raimi.

laryri

May 19, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I really believe World of Warcraft could be the launch of computer games as good films
Seriously? Even putting aside my feelings towards that Cocaine-derivative for a moment, do you think that any MMO could make a good film?

The list of successful transitions from one media form to another could be listed on the back of a stamp - and trying to create a two hour, action-packed, dramatic, thoughtful masterpiece from ANY game requires you throw out most of the material that's holding it together.

Portal? Possibly. Mirror's Edge? Possibly. Mainly because they're a single character forced perspective that blends the exposition into the action, and finishes quickly.

Left 4 Dead? Nope. Half-Life? Nope. HALO? Nope - and each of those is way less complex than the whole WoWktionary that you'd need just to understand their background.

Hint: If a red-shirt can defeat the background writer, there's no way Johnny Director is even going to be able to cope with that level of detail. EVEN Sam Raimi.
It will probably be based more on the plot of the RTS Warcrafts than the MMO. They are only using the name for brand recognition.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Does anyone have any idea WHAT in WoW they are actually covering?

Considering the game has like 10,000 years of Lore, they could go for some good subjects.

Im hoping for something to with Thrall and the start of the horde.

This could work IF they chose the right Lore arc.

Feb 13, 2008
laryri said:
It will probably be based more on the plot of the RTS Warcrafts than the MMO. They are only using the name for brand recognition.
Even so, the only way to get a viable audience will be to cram in MMO-centric plotpoints, which is the same thing that's going to keep non-nerds away.

You can either make it popular, thought-provoking or financially successful. Pick one and forget the other two. They ain't gonna happen. It's a crap-shoot if you even get that.

sargeant15

Oct 29, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:

The movie isn't based of WoW, but instead is based off of Warcraft the RTS. Makes the storytelling opportunities a bit easier.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
laryri said:
Wait...

What's the difference? I thought the MMO was a continuation of the RTS?

laryri

May 19, 2008
Gindil said:
laryri said:
Wait...

What's the difference? I thought the MMO was a continuation of the RTS?
The story structure is way different.

EnigmaticSevens

Sep 18, 2009
Do I honestly care about WoW, or a WoW movie? No.

Do I demand that the Son of Bowie create a WoW film with his father starring as the Goblin King in ludicrously tight pants, using the power of glam rock to both awaken a millennia old dragon AND slay it? Yes. Squee.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
"I'm just slightly insane and I stay up all night playing games."

Moon has been sitting on my shelf, unwatched, since I got it. Thanks to this comment, I'm going to watch it right now. Thank you, spawn of David Bowie.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
laryri said:
The DSM said:
Does anyone have any idea WHAT in WoW they are actually covering?

Considering the game has like 10,000 years of Lore, they could go for some good subjects.

Im hoping for something to with Thrall and the start of the horde.

This could work IF they chose the right Lore arc.
The movie takes place a year before the MMO starts in lore. Reason for this is because they believe that Warcraft is more popular because of its MMO and not its RTS series or extensive background.

Which is a shame :( Warcraft 3 would make SUCH a good movie.