CityVille Takes Facebook Top Spot for Biggest Monthly Audience

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
CityVille Takes Facebook Top Spot for Biggest Monthly Audience

Zynga's tweaks to its launch formula for its latest release have paid some pretty significant dividends.

The city building sim CityVille, has deposed FarmVille as the biggest game ever on Facebook, just a month after its release. CityVille's active monthly audience reached 84.2 million users, an improvement of 400,000 on FarmVille's total of 83.8 million.

Zynga credits this remarkable growth to three factors. Firstly, it's the first Zynga game to have a multi-lingual release. Secondly, the game has received a lot of word of mouth advertising, and finally, Zynga has made extensive use of cross-promotion, and advertised it in other games like Mafia Wars and FrontierVille.

This success doesn't come as a complete surprise, as there were signs that the game was going to be a hit, even from day one. CityVIlle saw the most successful launch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105921-Zynga-Scores-Its-Biggest-Hit-Yet-With-CityVille] of any Zynga game to date, more than twice what FrontierVille managed on its first day. CityVille is currently growing by around two million users a day, and it's thought that it's active user base will eventually exceed 100 million users.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/32231/CityVille_Has_Largest_Facebook_Audience_Ever.php]

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I don't know whether this is a great day for gaming or a bad one. It's important though.

I may finally get around to play one of these games. If only it didn't involve facebook.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
It also has my dad to thank for going on my sisters moms and brothers facebooks and making cityvilles

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
I have quite a few friends that play Cityville, so it is of no surprise that it is doing very well. Good to hear, and I do hope that it reaches the coveted 100 million users mark. Best of luck to Zynga.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
I wonder how many of these users played it once and then never again?

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
So, what's the difference between this and other city simulators?
You know, except you can showcase how much life you've put into it.