People Use Technology to "Outsource Self-Control"

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
People Use Technology to "Outsource Self-Control"

More and more people are using tech to curb unwanted behavior, such as GPS apps that disallow texting while driving.

People have always used technology to make every day tasks easier or to remind you to act in a certain way. The easiest and perhaps earliest example in human history is the alarm clock, but people are now using applications on smartphones to curtail all kinds of things from drunk-driving to Internet usage. As GPS-enabled devices like cellphones and iPods with limitless applications become almost ubiquitous, it makes sense for people to begin using them to regulate daily life. Ann Mack, a "trend-watcher" in the employ of marketing firm JWT, calls it "outsourcing self-control."

"The thing is we're becoming more aware of these behaviors, and as a result, we're trying to seek help to circumvent some of our more base impulses," Mack said. "We're bombarded more and more with temptations on a regular basis, and it's getting increasingly difficult to deal with that."

So we now have a GPS-enabled application for Blackberry phones called NOTXT thats lock down the texting capability of cell phones when it detects movement of a speed over 10 mph. Another application called Slow Down, predictably, helps drivers stay under a set speed limit. The app plays music and slows down the tempo when you start to go too fast and cut the music off completely if you are more than ten miles over the limit.

Some people have even opted to place breathalyzers in their cars to prevent the temptation to drive home after throwing back one too many Tanqueray and tonics (guilty.)

The devices are made by a company called Intoxalock, and are usually installed in repeat drunk driving offender's vehicles because of a court order, but the company reports that about 1.5 percent of its units are purchased freely.

"I know that isn't a lot, but it is growing at a slow, steady pace," a representative from Intoxalock (best company name ever) said.

It is certainly a good thing for people to try to take control of their own lives and I like that technology is being put to such good use. I just don't know if I'd like to put more control into the hands of machine. With TV, computers, cellphones and all of our various gaming consoles, don't they rule our lives enough without having to berate me for sending a quick text to my wife as I'm driving home from the bar at 60 mph? Is nothing sacred?

Source: Chicago Sun-Times [http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/3129661-423/app-car-technology-control-percent.html]

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/indyplanets/3926147797/])

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
It's a bit disheartening to think about people being so incapable of handling their tech-usage that they need a fucking application to keep them from texting while behind the wheel... And we've already got indicators of when you're over the speed limit: It's called a speedometer, mounted on the dashboard, for chrissake. Next thing you know, there'll be an app reminding WoW players to eat and drink regularly to prevent fucking starvation.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"So we now have a GPS-enabled application for Blackberry phones called NOTXT thats lock down the texting capability of cell phones when it detects movement of a speed over 10 mph"

Very usefull while on a bus or train!

Also, apps to eat less won't work. It's about selfcontrol and restraint; there is no app for that!

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
Xzi said:
Nova5 said:
It's a bit disheartening to think about people being so incapable of handling their tech-usage that they need a fucking application to keep them from texting while behind the wheel... And we've already got indicators of when you're over the speed limit: It's called a speedometer, mounted on the dashboard, for chrissake. Next thing you know, there'll be an app reminding WoW players to eat and drink regularly to prevent fucking starvation.
Given the average WoW player that I've met, there should probably be an app to do just the opposite; remind them to eat less, because, well, all they're doing is sitting there for eight plus hours a day.
Pretty much every WoW player I know (including me, when I played) routinely forgets to eat while logged in. That app would probably cause more problems than solve :p

Apr 28, 2008
Nova5 said:
Agreed.

I can understand a breathalizer or whatever to stop you from driving drunk, since you'll be drunk and probably think you can do anything.

But really, the tools are already at hand to stop you from texting at the wheel and going over the speed limit. For the first, its called self-control. Just don't fucking text while behind the wheel, its easily one of the dumbest things anyone could possibly do while driving. Why not just fucking talk to them through the phone?! And even then thats dangerous, just don't fucking do it. Turn off the phone before you drive if you really can't stop yourself, and BAM! Problem solved.

For the second, like the guy I quoted said, its called a "speedometer". Its there specifically to tell you how fast your going. If you aren't paying attention to that, you shouldn't be driving.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I really want to be angry at this, but given the compatibility problems that HumanOS 1.0 has with the Don't Do Dumb Shit component, and seeing as how the author doesn't seem interested in patching, maybe relying on third-party apps is what we're reduced to.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Hey, it's better than no self-control at all. I very much doubt anyone in this thread has managed to avoid ever doing anything stupid that they probably shouldn't have, and if one of you somehow has: Congratulations. You're officially boring.

I suspect the real problem with these kinds of things is that the people who need them most are the people that are least likely to use them. The Intoxalock thingy maybe the most practical out of the things mentioned here, since people are kinda famous for making decisions while drunk that they'd never consider while sober, including driving drunk. It's a great way to keep your drunk self in check while you have time to think rationally about it.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Manicotti said:
Pretty much every WoW player I know (including me, when I played) routinely forgets to eat while logged in. That app would probably cause more problems than solve :p
I've found online gamers come in two varieties, the ones who don't eat and the ones who down three bags of cheetos per raid. It actually makes sense, as a lot of gamers are either too waifish or too overweight to play sports.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I think perhaps it is possible for those with low self-control to gain self-control through these technologies, in much the same way punishment can be both a deterrent and an aid to developing proper behavior. Nonetheless, a society that depends wholly on these devices will have problems if they are ever removed...