Shaky Hands Could Ruin 3DS's Display Effect

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Shaky Hands Could Ruin 3DS's Display Effect

The Nintendo 3DS sounds revolutionary, but its eye-popping effects could be undone if players aren't perfectly still.

Now that 2011 has hit, the on its way [http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-DS/dp/B002I090AG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294159249&sr=8-1] and set to blow the minds of gamers everywhere with glasses-free 3D display technology. That is, if it's kept still enough.

Masahiro Sakurai, the designer of 3DS title Kid Icarus Uprising [http://www.amazon.com/Kid-Icarus-Uprising-Nintendo-DS/dp/B002I0EMBI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1294159261&sr=8-3], has been tweeting about the upcoming device and recommends that it be kept in a fixed position during play. Shaky hands, overzealous button presses, or violent stylus taps could prevent the 3D effect from displaying properly.

The reason is because of how the 3DS works. It doesn't use magic, holography, or alien technology (probably), but a technique that sends a different image from the screen in two directions to each eye to create the illusion of 3D. According to Sakurai, moving the system around too much could create issues.

I'm going to go ahead and say that Nintendo has likely worked out a system where tilting or moving the 3DS slightly won't be an issue during gameplay, but Sakurai's tweets do raise some questions about the operation of the 3DS. Is it simply that the 3D effect will display better when the 3DS is kept fixed? How much wiggle room is there to move the system around during play? I'm wondering why Sakurai brought the topic up if it won't become an issue for some gamers, though perhaps he's only making a recommendation for ideal play conditions. We'll find out in a few months.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/04/sakurai_steady_3ds/]

Hunter65416

Oct 22, 2010
Why do i get the feeling that the 3DS is going to fail there's just to much wrong with it, this and the other thing about how it could potentially damage eyesight I think they should keep it in development longer and see what they can do to hammer out some of these issues. i have very shaky hands so if i want to play a 3DS for whatever reason I'll likely have to sit it on a table which pretty much ruins the purpose of it being a portable device

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
So basically we'll have to get something similar to a camera tripod for it?

Fantastic then.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Bad news for Michael J. Fox!

I kid, I kid. I love that man, and everything he does for Parkinson's research.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
3D? What 3D? I'm turning that off. I care more about the better hardware leading to bigger and better games along with the analog nub. The 3D gimmick can go shove off.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
mjc0961 said:
3D? What 3D? I'm turning that off. I care more about the better hardware leading to bigger and better games along with the analog nub. The 3D gimmick can go shove off.
You said my intentions right here, though I would have phrased a bit nicer. I like the other capabilities of the 3DS too much to let that get in the way. Oh, and to those that still don't know, you CAN turn the 3D off.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Bad news for Michael J. Fox!

I kid, I kid. I love that man, and everything he does for Parkinson's research.t
My jaw dropped at that. It was funny, but... wow...

OT: I'm really curious about this... DOes the image just... POOF... GOne if you twitch?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Magnatek said:
mjc0961 said:
You said my intentions right here, though I would have phrased a bit nicer. I like the other capabilities of the 3DS too much to let that get in the way. Oh, and to those that still don't know, you CAN turn the 3D off.
I third this. I care more about creative gaming. Sadly, we're in the minority. Just expect more Marios, Zeldas and Pokemons.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
Man that's sucky. I figit a lot when playing games and when pushing buttons it jiggles the DS naturally. I'm with Boneasse, camera tripod for the damn thing.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Whether it is or is not a gimmick completely depends on what the developers are going to do with it. I hope some very cool stuff, stuff like this. [http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/nintendo-ds-3d-hidden-picture/341097]

I keep my fingers crossed though. News like this doesn't sound very promising. If the tech ain't sound enough I doubt developers are going to risk really using it to it's fullest potential and it'll indeed be just a gimmick.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Terramax said:
Magnatek said:
mjc0961 said:
I third this. I care more about creative gaming. Sadly, we're in the minority. Just expect more Marios, Zeldas and Pokemons.
Yeah, agreed. I'd buy one if the line up right not wasn't all reboots and sequals. The high price point doesn't help either.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
In other words, don't hold this hand-held device with your hands while using it?with your hands. What's next, don't look at the images with your eyes?

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
Magnatek said:
you CAN turn the 3D off.
Which is EXACTLY why we spend money on something that claims to deliver 3D, right?
I believe I said I would buy it based on the OTHER capabilities, which by the looks of gameplay of things like Resident Evil: Revelations and the like, are great by my standards. The fact that it offers 3D is absolutely irrelevant to me.

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
I'm with Mag on this one. the 3D is nice but it's just one of the 3DS' features and not a huge one as far as I'm concerned.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Magnatek said:
SaintWaldo said:
Magnatek said:
you CAN turn the 3D off.
Which is EXACTLY why we spend money on something that claims to deliver 3D, right?
I believe I said I would buy it based on the OTHER capabilities, which by the looks of gameplay of things like Resident Evil: Revelations and the like, are great by my standards. The fact that it offers 3D is absolutely irrelevant to me.
If you mean to refer only to yourself, perhaps you should avoid the second person article, "you", and instead say, "I".

That 3D is irrelevant to you is itself irrelevant given the fact that 3D is a major selling point of the device to the rest of the world (it's, you know, in the NAME). The suggestion that problems with 3D on the 3DS be solved by turning 3D off is risible at the very least, no matter what reasons you personally have for purchase.