NetherRealm Keeping Kratos Authentic for Mortal Kombat

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
NetherRealm Keeping Kratos Authentic for Mortal Kombat

Kratos' appearance in the Mortal Kombat reboot was as much Sony's idea as NetherRealm's, says the series' co-creator.

God of War fans won't be in for any unexpected and unwelcome surprises when protagonist Kratos makes his debut in the new Mortal Kombat. That's according to NetherRealm's Ed Boon, who says that the studio had nothing but respect for the character.

Boon said that there were always guidelines that a studio had to follow when it was working with a "great IP," and NetherRealm was collaborating with Sony's God of War team to ensure that everything about Kratos - from the way he looked, to the attacks he used - was as much like his previous portrayals as possible. Boon described Kratos as a "power character," whose attacks did a lot of damage, adding that Kratos was a very good fit for the Mortal Kombat universe.

Boon also said that Kratos' inclusion wasn't a case of one side approaching the other, but rather the two companies thinking the same thing, at the same time. Boon said that both Sony and NetherRealm wanted to include a character unique to the PS3, and naturally, Kratos was everyone's top choice.

Mortal Kombat comes out for PS3 and Xbox 360 in April.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=281933&site=cvg]

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
SO... All his attacks are goingto be with the chain blade while other people try to punch and kick him? Powerful character is right... Tad too powerful?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
But he'd be a RANGED power character, since his blades have reach, too.

Oh god. He's going to fuck the Tier list up.

As usual, Mortal Kombat will be all about the spectacle, rather than including ANY solid fighting mechanics.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
That's the only PS3 exclusive character they wanted? Come on, give me a fighting game with Sackboy! Fatalities result in explosions of FLUFF! you know you want this game too!

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
If Kratos with ranged swords/power attacks is in the PS3 version only then why not add Markus Fenix to the 360 version with a Hammer of Dawn as his attack and instant kill chainsaw lancer attacks, just to make both exclusives bit too OP =/

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
So he's got Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat under his belt. I wonder what other fighting games Kratos can claw his way into.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
Truly-A-Lie said:
So he's got Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat under his belt. I wonder what other fighting games Kratos can claw his way into.
Kratos confirmed for brawl. XD

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Onyx Oblivion said:
But he'd be a RANGED power character, since his blades have reach, too.

Oh god. He's going to fuck the Tier list up.

As usual, Mortal Kombat will be all about the spectacle, rather than including ANY solid fighting mechanics.
Deadly Alliance and Deception had some of the best fighting mechanics of any 3D fighter around. Of course they can't compare to the 2D fighters, e.g. KoF and Guilty Gear, but still was far better than anything the Soul or most other series offered.

If I had to think of what fighting games relayed most on visuals Mortal Kombat wouldn't be near the top of the list. Soul Calibur and DoA are unmatched on that front.

LT Cannibal 68 said:
I wonder if they are planning anything concerning exclusive characters for xbox?
We can only hope that it's Super Meatboy.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
LT Cannibal 68 said:
I wonder if they are planning anything concerning exclusive characters for xbox?
Reaver from Fable 2 and Fable 3 would be awesome, especially if his fatalities were accompanied by a pithy put-down and punctuated with a "Tatty Bye!" as he doled out another "prize" for the Reaver Team Spirit Award...

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
spectrenihlus said:
I agree a scorpion tarantula hybrid is a scary sentence.
I believe you want to be here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.254721-Top-5-with-Lisa-Foiles-Top-5-Creepiest-Giant-Spiders].

Anyways, it's hard to imagine Kratos being slightest bit balanced if he's anything like in God of War, especially if he's a power-type character. Considering he relies exclusively on mid-range attacks, he needs to be all about space control and distance. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
The_ModeRazor said:
... I dare not even think what his fatalities might look like. *shudder*
He'll rip their heads off and forcefully shove them up their anus until it explodes in a pile of shit and piss Me either...

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Jamash said:
LT Cannibal 68 said:
Reaver from Fable 2 and Fable 3 would be awesome, especially if his fatalities were accompanied by a pithy put-down and punctuated with a "Tatty Bye!" as he doled out another "prize" for the Reaver Team Spirit Award...

Ahh gotta' love Reaver hes awsome.