Bulletstorm Dev Explains the Art of the Exploding Red Barrel

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Bulletstorm Dev Explains the Art of the Exploding Red Barrel

Bulletstorm has red barrels that explode when you shoot them. Why? Because green barrels don't explode, duh.

The balance between intuitive gameplay and original gameplay can be a difficult one to walk for a game designer: How do you try to stand out from the crowd when gamers have become so accustomed to conventions? Your health meter is green; a red flash on the screen means you're being injured; A is "yes" (or the jump button) and B is "no." Say you wanted to put barrels in the game that would explode when shot - what color would you make them? You certainly don't want to make them red, since every action game has red barrels that explode when you shoot them.

But that's exactly what gamers have come to expect. A red barrel isn't post on the studio's official blog [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/3/30/], a People Can Fly rep explained that gamer expectation had shaped the development of hyperkinetic shooter Bulletstorm, because people just wouldn't shoot green barrels.

"We made a stab at trying something different, instead of going with the cliché. In the beginning we had green barrels, but people didn't get it right away," wrote designer Arcade Berg. "They got completely ignored by the players and no one guessed or assumed that they were explosive. Why not? Because they weren't red. Everyone knows that only the red barrels are explosive."

In a game intended to be as fast-paced and frantic as Bulletstorm, he elaborated, it was important to provide visual cues that a player could easily identify and quickly process. That means making explosive barrels red. "There's no time to analyze objects on a detail level, so the shape and color have to be enough. It became apparent for us that the most efficient way to communicate its purpose was to make it red."

And yet the developer's work wasn't done there. It turns out that a surprising amount of effort and thought has to go into something as simple as "paint it red."

If you're interested in game design, the hows-and-whys of explosive barrel design, (or just interested in Bulletstorm), the full blog post is a fascinating read [http://www.peoplecanfly.com/blog/2011/01/we-had-to-use-red-barrels/]. I would like to point People Can Fly at 2009's Borderlands, which had red barrels, green barrels, orange barrels and blue barrels - they all just did different things when you shot them.

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5724354/problem-we-dont-shoot-green-things-enough])

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Crash Bandicoot games had green crates that exploded...granted red were tnt and green were nitro, but still.

So why not add both, red for tnt explosion and green for nitro explosion? xD

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Borderlands has many colours of barrel, different effects from each.
I agree though, red = danger.

York_Beckett

Sep 23, 2010
Damnation had yellow barrels. Lots of yellow barrels.
I think it also had some grey barrels, but they were boring and didn't go BOOM when shot at. In fact, they didn't do anything at all.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
John Funk said:
I would like to point People Can Fly at 2009's Borderlands, which had red barrels, green barrels, orange barrels and blue barrels - they all just did different things when you shot them.
Borderlands wasn't made by People can Fly, it was made by Gearbox.

Zedayen

Nov 20, 2010
The same reason you run faster with a knife. It's just common sense right?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Blue Musician said:
John Funk said:
I would like to point People Can Fly at 2009's Borderlands, which had red barrels, green barrels, orange barrels and blue barrels - they all just did different things when you shot them.
...yes, I know.

Zedayen

Nov 20, 2010
Blue Musician said:
John Funk said:
Hence the part about the pointing.

Bluesclues

Dec 18, 2009
Blue Musician said:
John Funk said:

Uhh, he wasn't implying that it was?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well my thought is that they probably should have kept the green barrels and made it part of the game's learning process, since it would make the game stick out a bit more. What is being said here is "we decided our game wasn't generic enough, so we made it even more generic!". :)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I've just bought and been playing Max Payne 2 - that shit has exploding green crates!

I'm so glad developers left such crazy habits behind.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
teh_Canape said:
Fronzel said:
Doom had green barrels.
Doom only had green barrels
Doom had silver barrels filled with green stuff that exploded when shot, and dark gray/black barrels that were on fire as scenery. Seen here:

Anyway, I'm sure they could have trained people to shoot green barrels if they had really wanted to. Just make some kind of mandatory spot really early in the game where the only way to progress is shooting green barrels to explode a wall or something. Still though, barrel color isn't really a big deal. Is anyone really going to be petty enough to say "They stole red exploding barrels from ____, what unoriginal bastards!" over it?

Bluesclues

Dec 18, 2009
Therumancer said:
Hmmm, well my thought is that they probably should have kept the green barrels and made it part of the game's learning process, since it would make the game stick out a bit more. What is being said here is "we decided our game wasn't generic enough, so we made it even more generic!". :)
Actually it's more of a case of "we tried something less common, and people didn't respond to it well, so we had no choice but make it generic."

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
If you wanna be creative or original, you don't put exploding barrels in your game at all. The color is merely a tool, to aid the players in understanding what to do; the barrel itself is the cliché.

P.S. Thanks

wfpdk

May 8, 2008
then again, normally, a barrel wont explode when you shoot it, you'll just make a whole for the salsa to come out, so what would make the player think that shooting at a random barrel would make it explode unless it's color that's synonymous with danger like red, orange, or yellow, or labeled as explosive, or shown that they are explosive.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
I think they're forgetting the Nitro boxes in Crash Bandicoot.

Although, they were clearly labled Nitro.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
DC Universe Online has a few barrels fire/red ones that go boom, medicial cross/green ones that radiate healing auras after impact and even cryo/blue barrels that freeze stuff and a Cyclones in others.