Fresh Pictures Reveal New Details About Supposed PlayStation Phone

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Fresh Pictures Reveal New Details About Supposed PlayStation Phone

Images suggest that the phone is real, and is currently being manufactured somewhere in China.

Sony hasn't formally announced it yet, but the PlayStation Phone is looking more and more real with every new bit of information we find out about it, and new images of the device don't buck the trend one bit.

[gallery=75]

The images show two of the phones side-by-side, suggested that the source has access to the manufacturing facility. The phones show both Sony Ericsson's Xperia branding, and a PlayStation-inspired logo in the bottom left hand corner. There's also the familiar cross, circle, square and triangle icons on the buttons themselves.

Other pictures show the phone running Android version 2.3 - which is the official designation of the "Gingerbread" OS that the phone was rumored to run - and a product number of "R800i." According to Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/sonys-playstation-phone-xperia-play-caught-hanging-out-with-a/], this number has been linked with the name Zeus - which is the rumored codename for the device - in the past, so slots nicely into place with what was already known. Unfortunately, most of the display is in Chinese, so picking up any more details is a little tricky.

Obviously, with no official announcement, this is still technically just rumor, but it wouldn't be the first time that details about a Sony handheld had leaked out ahead of its official announcement. It could still be some elaborate deception, but if so, it's getting very elaborate, with multiple and subtly different mockups of the handset, not to mention videos of it running. The Consumer Electronics Show, or CES, is taking place right now, and Sony does have a press conference later on today. It's hard to think of a better time for Sony to unveil the device if it is real, so perhaps we'll know more soon.

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/sonys-playstation-phone-xperia-play-caught-hanging-out-with-a/]

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
you know...sony could work this angle and make this the new psp with some tweaks. Might even give the ds a good run. The 3ds is still going to win but making the psp with practical applications and if you want you can also make it a regularly used phone in not a bad idea.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I always hated the idea of phones being used as a gaming console, but I've actually started using my phone recently and now the whole thing doesn't seem so bad. I might actually bother getting one of these.

I have to say though it doesn't look to comfy, the PSP was bad enough D:

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Notice the two circles that are NOT start and select buttons. If this Playstationphone comes out... Even IT will have DUAL ANALOG!!!

Now fix your PSP please SONY...

OT: Seriously, though, this is an awesome idea

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
I´m not digging the design, it looks like an Ngage knock off... but still, it will be kind of cool to see what the aproach to such system will be, with the developers in full swing for the Iphone and XBLA, and knowing "Sony" it will probably be hard to code for things to work propperly in this thing

that said, unless they have more than just "Iphone Apps knock offs" i dont think it will be that good.

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
I dunno... looks awfully similar to my husband's Garminfone, excluding the slide-out pad of course. The design doesn't really "fit" with everything I've seen from Sony. For some reason this looks more like a cheap knock-off to me than an official product. Possibly I'm crazy. PROBABLY I'm crazy.

Jun 7, 2010
OK, now i'm sure, people, these aren't real leaks, they're too frequent to be real, i have a good feeling that sony are behind this and this is just clever marketing.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I need my phone to do 2 things. Make Phone calls and send text messages. I don't need all these extra functions. Plus the 'advance super phone market' (as I like to call it) seems to be full right now, no idea how Sony will make a profit with this :p

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Sony: All we have to do is act all security paranoid and tight lipped, and deny everything. The rumour-mill will do all our marketing for us.

>.>

Artorius

Mar 18, 2009
hmm i don't see this phone competing with iPhone or other smartphones....
unless it has almost everything a psp has...

Ranchcroutons

Sep 12, 2010
Its like revenge of the Ngage! It worked so well the first time. Admittedly this does seem to be built more like a gaming device and less like a taco.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:
Notice the two circles that are NOT start and select buttons. If this Playstationphone comes out... Even IT will have DUAL ANALOG!!!

Now fix your PSP please SONY...

OT: Seriously, though, this is an awesome idea
Actually, I'm wondering if those two circular formations could actually be touch sensor panels. If so then this could really rock.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Taking into consideration of Sony's track record for keeping secrets, I'm going to assume this is the real thing until Sony say otherwise.

It looks interesting, but I'm not much of a handheld gamer in general, and I'm perfectly fine with my current phone (no matter how outdated it is), so I'll probably pass.

Orange_Clockwork

Oct 29, 2009
I would buy this instantly. It looks perfectly awesome and it has TWO thumb pads which are touch sensitive. As long as it has a QWERTY keyboard, I'm fine with it!