Capcom Explains the Mystery of the Missing SSFIV Costumes

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Capcom Explains the Mystery of the Missing SSFIV Costumes

Microsoft's pockets are deeper than Sony's when it comes to online play, which is why Super Street Fighter IV is less of a sartorial extravaganza on the PS3.

Capcom has explained why PS3 pugilists are sometimes unable to see their opponent's snazzy new DLC threads in Super Street Fighter IV [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Street-Fighter-IV-Playstation-3/dp/B002TDIEEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294251009&sr=8-1], and it turns out that the answer isn't technical in nature, but is instead to do with who's footing the bill.

Writing on the Capcom forums [http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/26288281/SSFIV_New_alt_costumes_on_PS3_-_Invisible.?post_id=480277817#480277817], community manager Seth Killian said that the platform holders imposed "significant" charges for distributing the data for content like costumes to people who hadn't bought them. On the Xbox 360, Microsoft had paid these fees itself, so every could see the new costumes whether they'd bought them or not. Sony, on the other, left the costs in Capcom's hands. Killian said that it wasn't quite as simple as "Microsoft paid, Sony didn't," because timing and location played their parts as well, but that at the most basic level it came down to cost.

Unsurprisingly, Killian doesn't say how much money Capcom was looking at having to pay, but implied that it would have made it difficult for Capcom to make any money from the DLC. Capcom elected not to pay, and so only those who had bought the costumes could see them, and everyone else had to make do with the costumes that were already on the disc.

Of course it really isn't as simple as Microsoft being more generous than Sony, because Microsoft charges for Xbox Live, whereas PSN is free. It's a lot easier to spend money on Super Street Fighter IV players when you know that every single one of them has ponied up some cash in order to play online.

Source: via Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-04-invisible-ps3-ssfiv-costumes-explained]

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Huh.
Well that sucks.
To me it is cool to have a unique costume to use, but whats the point if you cant show it off?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Yea.
So 360 owners have the "Opportunity" to buy more overpriced costume dlc from Capcom? They can keep them.

They can also keep that New Vegas DLC too; that game barely works as it is.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Doesn't excuse the fact that you're basically paying for unlock keys. Playing to earn the outfits would've worked out better, or have something like what DoA4 did: you win a match, you win credits. Those credits can then be used to "buy" the other characters outfits.

But I digress. I'm done with the game anyway, new (and mostly ridiculous) outfits or otherwise.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
I wonder how Steam handles this. Does it charge the developer for any content patches or even bug fixes?

Phokal

Oct 12, 2009
Don't justify the cost of Xbox Live! I want to maintain my outrage! (both serious and sarcastic at the same time...)

Of course, in a world without Xbox Live Gold, and Capcom paying to do such things was standard,...then would have capcom done it? Marvel's "What If?" series can address that next.

Pocotron

Mar 16, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
Yea.
So 360 owners have the "Opportunity" to buy more overpriced costume dlc from Capcom? They can keep them.

Just what I was thinking. (Except for Dead Money, I kind of want that still)

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Yea.

I think what he's saying is you can't show it off to people who didn't buy it too but the outfits work fine as long as everyone watching owns the content. Like with Little Big Planet: If you as the host or the host don't own certain content you can't visit/collect/use items from that pack.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Yea.

That's not what it is at all - PS3 owners get to buy the same overpriced costume DLC, but people who don't buy it don't get to see the costumes of people who have.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
GamesB2 said:
GonzoGamer said:
The DLC is actually really good, and recent patches have made New Vegas playable to a degree.
Where did you hear that? I've only heard the opposite: that it's a complete mess.
Check out the forums for it on the gaming sites. Half the entries are lists of problems and not little glitches; game ending problems apparently.
I played some of it at a friends house and it seemed kind of lame.
I'm glad I didn't stick around for the end when the game apparently went completely haywire: the screen just went black apparently.

Jul 22, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
Where did you hear that? I've only heard the opposite: that it's a complete mess.
Check out the forums for it on the gaming sites. Half the entries are lists of problems and not little glitches; game ending problems apparently.
I'm glad I didn't stick around for the end when the game apparently went completely haywire: the screen just went black apparently.
I didn't hear it anywhere, I've got the DLC.

I encountered only one problem where you had to take a companion to a set location, he wouldn't go there so I simply dismissed him, asked him to follow me again and it worked then.

I loved the way they mixed it up a bit so that you have to dismember enemies to kill them, this means ammo and aiming are slightly more important.

The story was pretty intriguing and I thought the ending was quite good, and especially the final mission.

Also I loved the foreshadowing, a good portion of the DLC was spent foreshadowing the second courier, and it worked, I cannot wait until the next batch of DLC comes out.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
GamesB2 said:
GonzoGamer said:
I didn't hear it anywhere, I've got the DLC.

I encountered only one problem where you had to take a companion to a set location, he wouldn't go there so I simply dismissed him, asked him to follow me again and it worked then.

I loved the way they mixed it up a bit so that you have to dismember enemies to kill them, this means ammo and aiming are slightly more important.

The story was pretty intriguing and I thought the ending was quite good, and especially the final mission.

Also I loved the foreshadowing, a good portion of the DLC was spent foreshadowing the second courier, and it worked, I cannot wait until the next batch of DLC comes out.
I'll admit that I didn't see the climax so that might make it worth it but what I saw of it, I wasn't impressed.
But I've heard of a lot worse problems than that: there's apparently a couple of different glitches that can make you unable to return to the main game.
Either way. I'm holding off on all the dlc for this one. If any of them are really outstanding, I'll get goty for the pc and get the modder made patches. I hear those actually improve performance as opposed to the patches I've downloaded so far which seemed to have only gotten rid of exploits and other benign glitches.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I just know somewhere out there the Microsoft exec that decided Xlive shouldn't be free is doing a little dance.