No Metropolis/Gotham Crossover in The Dark Knight Rises and Superman

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
No Metropolis/Gotham Crossover in The Dark Knight Rises and Superman

The producer of both upcoming films based on the DC universe says he will not cloud the stories by doing crossovers like rival Marvel film The Avengers.

Charles Roven has produced a lot of movies, from classics like Terry Gilliam's Twelve Monkeys to not-so-classics like Get Smart and Scooby-Doo, as well Christopher Nolan's Batman films. He was recently asked to take on producing duties, along with Nolan, for the upcoming Superman re-reboot which is currently titled Superman: Man of Steel. Because he's got his thumb in the biggest pies that the DC universe has to offer, rumors immediately spread that we'd see Superman travel to Gotham or Christian Bale's Batman mention Metropolis. Perhaps comics nerds have been a bit spoiled by Marvel spreading its characters over a series of films, blurring the lines between Thor, Iron Man and Captain America's individual movies with a mega Avengers flick. With DC, it's not that far-fetched an idea as the source-material comics and even the upcoming MMO DC Universe Online treats all DC heroes as living in the same world, but Roven has emphatically stated that such a scenario will never happen while he's in charge of Warner's DC adaptations.

How do we know? Well, that's what he said when he was asked point blank if the two films will exist in a shared universe.

"No. That may be in somebody's mind but right now the Batman lives in his world and the Superman lives in his world," Roven said. "Those stories are those stories and we haven't thought beyond each individual picture."

Roven also said that Nolan wasn't looking too far past directing The Dark Knight Rises right now and that it may be the last Batman film from him. "I think that Chris Nolan has said that he wanted to make a trilogy and this is a trilogy. As far as we all know, this is it. This is the trilogy," Roven said. "The Dark Knight Rises is the third part of what Chris created with Batman Begins and we're not looking past that. I've said this about Chris before: I've never known Chris to do anything but focus on the movie he's making. He gets completely immersed in the movie he's doing and I know that all he's thinking about right now when it comes to Batman, The Dark Knight Rises, is making it the best movie he can. He's not thinking, 'Will there be another one?'"

So there you have it. The Dark Knight Rises and Superman: Man of Steel are two very separate projects and Christopher Nolan will likely cease directing Batman films after this latest installment. Although it might been neat for a brief crossover cameo in either film, I can't say that I'm disappointed or upset. I respect the integrity of Nolan and Roven for keeping the stories separate.

Source: Shock Till You Drop [http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/interviewsnews.php?id=17648]

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
Sweet. In comics it's clear to see how much of art style is compromised for Batman to feat in Superman world. Not to talk about how they both have a different approach in senses of "super". In Supepr world everything is bigger and stronger than Batman. Not to mention it's not a series of movie, meaning I can simply sit and watch to have fun.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Superman would be kinda out of place in the setting created by the recent Batman films. Whilst a Justice League film might be interesting, I can't see it fitting in with the current Batman series.
I'm wondering how they are going to do the next Superman film, part of me thinks that a more villlan-focused film (like Batman returns was) might be the way forwards. I wasn't too impressed with Superman Returns.
Regardless, I'm looking forward to Dark Knight Rises.

Spirultima

Jul 25, 2008
Superman is way over rated, Superman is basically a god in flesh, where as Batman is only a man, but still accomplishes more and isn't as naive as Superman.

But, how many new Superman films have there been? We get it, he is super human, so focus on someone else, someone interesting.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Spirultima said:
Superman is way over rated, Superman is basically a god in flesh, where as Batman is only a man, but still accomplishes more and isn't as naive as Superman.

But, how many new Superman films have there been? We get it, he is super human, so focus on someone else, someone interesting.
I'm not a Superman fan either, he's just dull to me. Batman is a much more interesting character with tonnes of interesting enemies. I'm glad to see DC keeping them apart as I really dont think they belong anywhere near each other.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
i support this. batman and superman are on two sides of the hero spectrum.

May 5, 2010
Well, that's just common sense. Superman wouldn't fit in the Nolan Batman movies at all. I'm sure there's a VERSION of Batman out there that could hang with Superman, but that's just not Nolan's take on the franchise.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Wait... we'll get another Superman film? Damn, this doesn't sound too good.

But yeah, thanks, Roven. It's not really something for a crossover.
Now Green Lantern and Batman... that'd make for an interesting conflict-pair. Just like in the comics.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
One of the first scenes in The Dark Knight was Batman needing a new suit, because a dog managed to draw blood. How on earth would Superman fit into this? Besides, he's boring, and far too overpowered. Actually, I half expect him to have blond hair and do nothing but grunt in the next movie >>
See, I actually like the current Batman movies. They are by no means the cinematic masterpieces some people make them out to be, but I much prefer this kind of (super)hero movie. The dark tone, the mortality of the characters, and the absence of supernatural forces made the movie so much more believable, and (for me at least) more enjoyable.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Glad to hear that DC and the people it employs are more concerned with making good movies than some bizarre obsession with continuity.

I can't see how Marvel's grand plan can do anything but backfire on them horribly, I don't understand what's wrong with just separating them out and getting on with it. It's fiction, there are no rules damnit!

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
I'm personally glad we won't be seeing a crossover event. Despite the genius that was The Dark Knight, both Batman and Superman are on shaky ground as far as film franchises go. Superman is undeniably the more unstable of the two, and as such needs time to develop before it can become a fully realized IP. I wouldn't mind a casual nod, like if someone in the new Batman mentions Metropolis in conversation, but as far as a full-blown crossover I'm not watching.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
So I'm the only one dissapointed? I get that tone wise these movies will be completely different and that 9 out of 10 times a crossover would probably fail, but that one successful movie, man that'd be awesome. Batman and Supes have a really interesting relationship, bordering from best of buddies to an uneasy truce between the two of them.

A movie could deal with Batman feeling useless compared to Superman, while Superman develops a begruding respect for this itty bitty human who fights so darn hard. Drama could come when Superman is encouraged by the government to bring Batman to justice. Superman knows Bruce Wayne is Batman, but out of honour gives him a chance to turn himself in as Batman at a certain time. Then a fight like the end of the Dark Knights Returns where Batman pulls no punches and beats the ever lovin' hell out of Superman.

We don't even need Kryptonite for the fight itself, have Bruce developing tech the whole movie (maybe with the assistance of an anonymous dossier from Lex Luthor), red light generators that temporarily depower him, depleted uranian bullets, plasma creating missiles, lasers to penetrate his personal force field, heat retardant lead putty to blind him with and a lead lined battle suit with high frequency audio scramblers that deafen Supes so he can't hear him coming, and hydraulic taser fists powered by twenty blocks of gothams electricity.

Superman finally manages to shakes this all of, circles the globe and recharges his batteries, before landing before Batman. Finally Bruce reveals he's worked out Superman's identity early and opens his palm revealing a sliver of kryptonite that he could have used straight from the start, but he wanted to show Clark a lesson, not kill him.

Any discrepancy in Superman's normal power level can be hand-waved with that fact he's initially trying to go easy on Batman and that exposure to red-sunlight followed by fighting at night time means he has less solar energy in his body. Remember this is not a cheap cop-out if Batman planned for these things to happen. And the reason he doesn't use this stuff in his other films is because it's too dangerous and expensive (even for him) to use on ordinary crooks.

Basically have Batman as we all love, thinking twenty steps ahead of his enemies. Suitably impressed Superman and Batman resolve their differences, there's a comment on the appearance of other heroes and they muse about forming a league.

DangNabbit

May 23, 2010
WolfThomas said:
So I'm the only one dissapointed? I get that tone wise these movies will be completely different and that 9 out of 10 times a crossover would probably fail, but that one successful movie, man that'd be awesome. Batman and Supes have a really interesting relationship, bordering from best of buddies to an uneasy truce between the two of them.

A movie could deal with Batman feeling useless compared to Superman, while Superman develops a begruding respect for this itty bitty human who fights so darn hard. Drama could come when Superman is encouraged by the government to bring Batman to justice. Superman knows Bruce Wayne is Batman, but out of honour gives him a chance to turn himself in as Batman at a certain time. Then a fight like the end of the Dark Knights Returns where Batman pulls no punches and beats the ever lovin' hell out of Superman.

We don't even need Kryptonite, have Bruce developing tech the whole movie (maybe with the assistance of an anonymous dossier from Lex Luthor), red light generators that temporarily depower him, depleted uranian bullets, plasma creating missiles, laser to penetrate his personal force field, fire retardant putty to blind him with and a lead lined battle suit with audio scramblers that Supes can't see or hear coming, powered by twenty blocks of gothams electricity. Finally Bruce revealing he's worked out Superman's identity straight away.

Any discrepancy in Superman's normal power level can be hand-waved with that fact he's initially trying to go easy on Batman and that exposure to red-sunlight followed by fighting at night time means he has less solar energy in his body. Remember this is in not a cheap cop-out if Batman planned for these things to happen.

Basically have Batman as we all love, thinking twenty steps ahead of his enemies. Then at the end they resolve their differences, comment on the appearance of other heroes and muse about forming a league.
... Woah.

I read the article thinking "Thank God, they won't ruin the films!" then I read your post, and you know what? That could work. BIG time.

Go phone Mr Nolan.

Kiytan

Feb 23, 2008
Good, I think the recent nolanverse batman is just too "real" for any kind of superman, it would just seem very out of place.

My main problem with superman is that when you only have one weakness, it ends up getting crowbarred into everything. That and if his secret identity was ever really discovered I can't see it doing much more than irritating him, I mean he is still more or less unkillable.

Also, his super goody morals all the time start to annoy me. It's actually one of the things that really annoyed me about smallville (which was on the whole, pretty good)Half of the time I was agreeing with lex or Green arrow, and wanted clark to stop seeing the world so damned black and white.

Whereas if batman's identity is discovered, he is as good as dead.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
DangNabbit said:
... Woah.

I read the article thinking "Thank God, they won't ruin the films!" then I read your post, and you know what? That could work. BIG time.

Go phone Mr Nolan.
Thanks, I read too many comics.

But what it's shown me is that even the most boring of character can be made awesome by fantastic writing. I think Kryptonite is always a huge cop-out and I love it when some science (or even pseudo-science) is used to try and defeat a super-hero. Superhearing, deafen them! Force field, we can still see him, so that means light can pass through it, use a laser!

A film like the one I proposed cements how insanely badass a well prepared Batman with no limits could be. Why a mere human is on the same level as gods in their world.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
good, they should remain separate. 2012 is going to be the year that we see if comic book films should prioritize the film aspect or the comic aspect and I'll be blunt, if the Avengers DOESN'T blow up in Marvel's face I will be amazed. That company's hubris led to Iron Man 2 being a narrative mess and has cost the series Favreau who did a GREAT job with the first. Fanboys (and Bob) will probably disagree, but the odds are against Marvel

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Thank God. You could almost clock the previous franchise going to hell on the moment Kilmer's Bruce Wayne had his "...halfway to Metropolis by now." line.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Wait. Who was thinking they would cross over? I mean this is good news. I guess. It confirms something won't happen that I never even thought about until I read the article that said it won't happen.