THQ Using Online Pass for Homefront Multiplayer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
THQ Using Online Pass for Homefront Multiplayer

Anyone can play Homefront online, but not everyone is going to be able to rise through the ranks.

If the idea of battling against a communist Korean empire in the not too distant future sounds appealing, then Homefront [http://www.amazon.com/Homefront-Xbox-360/dp/B003Q53VZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294318122&sr=8-1 ] might be just the game for you. If you want to get the full online experience though, you'd better have either bought it new, or be willing to shell out for an online pass.

Online play won't be completely cut off to those who rent the game or buy it pre-owned, but it will be pretty significantly limited. Every multiplayer map will be available, but players will only be able to hit level five, whereas people who bought the game new will be able to go all the way up to level 75. Players without a pass can play for as long as they like, but they'll never be able to progress beyond that level cap. It's not clear exactly how the leveling system affects the gameplay, but it's reasonable to assume that players unlock new weapons and capabilities as they go.

Some gamers will inevitably rail against online passes in any form, but THQ's solution actually seems like a pretty decent compromise. It's not an all or nothing deal, and instead gives players the chance to check out the multiplayer mode and possibly entice people who might not have paid for it into buying a pass. It actually seems to have a lot in common with the way that free-to-play games are structured, and that might not be a bad model for online pass systems to emulate.

Homefront comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 in March.

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/67030]

The Red Spy

Dec 1, 2009
Wasn't something similar mentioned in an Extra Credits video? Seems like a fair arrangement.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
Yeah this seems reasonable, MOH and BFBC2 did it. I plan on getting the game new anyway.

Daniel Wild

Jun 8, 2010
Ok, I'm not going to buy this game, never interested me, but this seems an unnecessarily aggressive thing to do to the pre-owned market. Why not allow pre-owned buyers to buy this pass from the market place for £10 or whatever so even then THQ still make money from it. Even EA isn't that agressive, at least you can buy most of whatever comes with their project 10dollar vouchers.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Daniel Wild said:
Ok, I'm not going to buy this game, never interested me, but this seems an unnecessarily aggressive thing to do to the pre-owned market. Why not allow pre-owned buyers to buy this pass from the market place for £10 or whatever so even then THQ still make money from it. Even EA isn't that agressive, at least you can buy most of whatever comes with their project 10dollar vouchers.
You've obviously mis-read it
EA's $10 dollar thing is more aggressive as that just restricts you completely unless you have a pass. Here, THQ is letting people play the multiplayer for sometime without a pass, but restricts your progress. Single-player isn't affected at all.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Didnt Mass Effect 2 do this sorta....the whole Cereburus (spelling I know) Network deal..

Doesnt seem to bad....already looks pretty decent to BUY anyway

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Wait. It is a one-time payment isn't it? If so, I applaud them. This is a great way to make a little money off the preowned market, without ruining the game for those who don't want to pay extra.
However, the payment thing isn't specified in the article, so if it is a subscription thing, it's a really bad idea...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
i'll take this over not having an online mode at all. If they insist on an online pass, this is a proper compromise.

brunothepig said:
Wait. It is a one-time payment isn't it? If so, I applaud them. This is a great way to make a little money off the preowned market, without ruining the game for those who don't want to pay extra.
However, the payment thing isn't specified in the article, so if it is a subscription thing, it's a really bad idea...
Its 1 time deal thats tied to your THQ account, which i assume u need to actually log in and play. Its the same as the EA Online passes for their sports games, except less fascist to those who buy used.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'm going to join the choir and say this actually sounds pretty reasonable.

Although I personally won't be affected.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Isn't the first sale doctrine supposed to protect against this bullshit? Or are media companies except to that too like they already ignore privacy and fair trial laws?