Valve Boss: New Intel CPU Allows a "Console-Like Experience" on the PC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Valve Boss: New Intel CPU Allows a "Console-Like Experience" on the PC

Gabe Newell, the big cheese at Valve [http://www.valvesoftware.com], says the on-chip graphics processing in the next generation of Intel's Core i7 CPU will provide a more "console-like experience" on the PC.

The next generation of Intel's CES [http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei7/index.htm], who called the chip "a real game-changer for us."

Newell said the upcoming Portal 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Pc/dp/B002I0JIQW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1294339173&sr=8-3] had been created with the new Core i7 chip in mind and that the potential elimination of discrete graphics cards as a core component of gaming-capable PCs will "allow for a console-like experience on the PC."

What he actually meant by "console-like experience" is a little unclear, although my guess is that it all tracks back to simplicity; in theory, PC buyers who want to do a little gaming won't have to take a crash-course in GPUs to make it happen. But as Anandtech noted in its Sandy Bridge preview [http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row/7], the new tech is a big step beyond current integrated graphics hardware at the relatively low resolution of 1024x768 but still falls short of even basic discrete cards. It looks impressive at this point, but whether or not it actually becomes a legitimate "game-changer" is still very much up in the air.

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-01-06-valve-new-intel-tech-means-console-like-experience-on-the-pc]

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
GamesB2 said:
Oh I can't wait to see the PC elitists raging about this one. :D
I don't know about the elitists, but as a PC gamer, I think this might really be a good thing. The variety of graphics cards has undeniable negative side effects on PC gaming and I'd be glad to see it gone, or at least the eternal arms race between the few major manufacturers reduced.

The problem that I see with this is that integrated graphics cards (I know this isn't the same thing, but it's similar) were already attempted and were an unmitigated disaster. I hope this turns out better.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
well it sounds better then alot of integrated cards but it still doesnt sound like it will really take the place of a graphics card for anyone in the know, but still I suppose anything that makes pc gaming easier is a good idea since the big reason its not as popular as console gaming is that its more complicated

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
What an odd term to use. The only way I can imagine this providing a more console like experience is if it suddenly sprouts a controller to play with.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
I can see the benefits from a developer point of view

but wasn't the whole idea for PC's to be better than consoles?

(you know, multitasking, multiple processing and shit)

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
When asked to comment about something more interesting, such as the development of Half-Life 3 or a new IP from Valve, Newell pointed and shouted, "Look behind you, a three-headed-monkey!" He then produced a smoke bomb, hurled it to the floor and fled from the room.

OT: I can definitely see the appeal of making PCs more accessible to gaming for non-gamers, but they definitely have to do better than 1024x768 resolution.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I take it a "discrete" graphics card is a non-intergrated one (I've never had that phrase before)?

Anyway, CPU and GFX cards should be kept separate - if one fucks up then it's not the end of the world, relying on something that essentially combines the two makes things more expensive. Can't really see this completely taking over that set up in any case.

Still, if people would like to become PC gamers then I suppose it makes things a little easier for them.

Jul 22, 2009
Jandau said:
I don't know about the elitists, but as a PC gamer, I think this might really be a good thing. The variety of graphics cards has undeniable negative side effects on PC gaming and I'd be glad to see it gone, or at least the eternal arms race between the few major manufacturers reduced.

The problem that I see with this is that integrated graphics cards (I know this isn't the same thing, but it's similar) were already attempted and were an unmitigated disaster. I hope this turns out better.
I think it's great too.

I can just imagine elitists getting very uppity about the fact their glorious PC is compared to a dishevelled console :3

Integrated graphics cards were never a good idea ._.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
GamesB2 said:
Rage? We will be relieved of the hassle of buying graphcards. That's a good thing and it can also revolutionize gaming-laptops.

Then of course, it has to meet certain qualifications of course. I will not endure anything under 1080p. *snort*.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
GamesB2 said:
I was all set to rage too. Why would we want this?! But I'm obligated to give Mr. Newell the benefit of the doubt.

After understanding the context for that statement, he's just saying that this advancement in integrated graphics cards makes it somewhat easier to get into PC gaming. It's completely irrelevant to me and doesn't seem like much of a game changer but sure, why not? It's easier.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
again, PC gaming costs too damn much because now if i want to play games without the fear of them crashing or freezing or lagging on me, i have to go out, purchase this, and learn how to install the damn thing without zapping my computer to death

Andy Chalk said:
What he actually meant by "console-like experience" is a little unclear, although my guess is that it all tracks back to simplicity; in theory, PC buyers who want to do a little gaming won't have to take a crash-course in GPUs to make it happen.
this was ALWAYS the problem with even attempting to get into PC gaming. if this really does make things simpler. then fine. ill play your game intel.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
GamesB2 said:
Actually, most of us like the idea.

Anything that makes PC gaming easier to get into is a winner in my eyes. Especially if it starts getting publishers to pay more attention to the PC in their Triple Aye releases.

However, when I build my next machine, it'll probably still have a couple of big ass graphics cards.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
GiantRaven said:
What an odd term to use. The only way I can imagine this providing a more console like experience is if it suddenly sprouts a controller to play with.
Because clearly there's no way to have a controller on PCs yet. The PC peripheral industry just hasn't quite got there. It's not as if PCs have had gamepads for decades now. Certainly there's not a popular console controller which is has flawless Windows support and is integrated into almost every major and indie game release in the past 5+ years... Yes... we PC gamers sure are primitive.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
I can see what he was getting it, and it doesn't sound like a bad thing, but certainly "console-like experience" isn't the right wording to use with the PC crowd.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
DaxStrife said:
When asked to comment about something more interesting, such as the development of Half-Life 3 or a new IP from Valve, Newell pointed and shouted, "Look behind you, a three-headed-monkey!" He then produced a smoke bomb, hurled it to the floor and fled from the room.

OT: I can definitely see the appeal of making PCs more accessible to gaming for non-gamers, but they definitely have to do better than 1024x768 resolution.
Does that mean I won't be able to buy one of his fine leather jackets? :(

But yeah I agree. If it's not going higher than 1024x768, it's not catching my interest.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
GamesB2 said:
Actually, I think it's going to be great. Anything that streamlines my computer is welcomed. Having one less component that can cause an error with software is pretty great.

As hardware becomes more consolidated it makes it less likely that the developers will put things in their software, unknowingly, that will cause errors for the user - probably what he meant by the 'console-like experience.' Only a guess though.

Jul 22, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Actually, most of us like the idea.

Anything that makes PC gaming easier to get into is a winner in my eyes. Especially if it starts getting publishers to pay more attention to the PC in their Triple Aye releases.

However, when I build my next machine, it'll probably still have a couple of big ass graphics cards.
Yeah it's a great idea for those who aren't very technically versed.

I'd still have a great up to date one though.

sunburst313 said:
I was all set to rage too. Why would we want this?! But I'm obligated to give Mr. Newell the benefit of the doubt.

After understanding the context for that statement, he's just saying that this advancement in integrated graphics cards makes it somewhat easier to get into PC gaming. It's completely irrelevant to me and doesn't seem like much of a game changer but sure, why not? It's easier.
That's true, I just think a fair few people may be 'annoyed' at the fact the glorious PC master raced is compared to consoles with this chipset :3