Pirates Crack Mac App Store Within Hours

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Pirates Crack Mac App Store Within Hours

Apple's newly launched App Store for Mac OS X has already become vulnerable to piracy.

Apple brought the iPhone's App Store to Mac OS X this week, and in the process opened a second front in its war against App Store piracy. The Mac App Store was cracked within hours through multiple methods, though at least one group of hackers is waiting to release theirs until a lot of "crap" becomes available.

Surprisingly, one method that hackers discovered to play illegitimate Apps on the Mac was basically a cut and paste. Downloading a paid App from an illegal location, and then replacing the receipt and signature files with those from a free App sometimes allows the App to run. Apple recommended that App developers implement a measure to avoid this simple crack, but some apparently haven't been listening.

Cracking group Hackulous, known for breaking Apple's iOS DRM, has also developed a more thorough Mac App Store crack called "KickBack," but doesn't want to release it just yet. The group says: "Most of the applications that go on the Mac App Store [in the first instance] will be decent, they'll be pretty good. Apple isn't going to put crap on the App Store as soon as it gets released. It'll probably take months for the App Store to actually have a bunch of crappy applications and when we feel that it has a lot of crap in it, we'll probably release Kickback."

Hackulous added that it doesn't want to "devalue applications and frustrate developers" right away. It'll wait to do that until later.

The Mac App Store launched with over 1,000 Apps including many games such as Lego Harry Potter [http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Harry-Potter-Years-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BS4JLA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1294408562&sr=1-1], Angry Birds, and Bejeweled 3. It's sort of like a purely Mac-focused version of Steam, but was cracked much quicker.

Sources: Gizmodo [http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/01/06/reports_of_mac_app_store_piracy_emerge_on_launch_day_report.html]

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Wait, Mac app store exists?!

I'm sorry, Apple, that was really bad aversisement when I've never heard of it. I'm like the Escapist's resident Mac gamer! I feel betrayed! D:

I guess the platform needs the publicity...

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I don't like Apple or Pirates so I have inner conflict over who to support on this. Apple are too protectionist, Pirates have no sense of value(especially these ones). My remedy is to cheer for the winning side.

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
Erana said:

I'm sorry, Apple, that was really bad aversisement when I've never heard of it. I'm like the Escapist's resident Mac gamer! I feel betrayed! D:

Yeah seriously. I only found out about the Mac App Store when I was downloading the iOS 4 dev kit, and when it only happens when I'm that far into Apple software distribution, then you know they did something wrong.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Hackulous.

Do these people even TRY and make cool names anymore?
Common we talking about mac users here....

This makes me lol tho god i hate apple

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
This is getting ridiculous, companies should at least able to host content for one day without being hacked.

Player Two

Dec 20, 2010
Oh well. It's not as if it wasn't going to happen. Quicker than some might've expected, but of course it was going to be hacked.
I hate Apple's grip over their audience, but I hate Pirates' anarchistic hacker bent. I guess I don't have to worry since I use Fedora/Windows :)

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Hackulous.

Come up with a cool name for a hacker group.
Right now, no cheating, just come up with a a name that everyone sees as "cool".
Anyways,
YEAH! F*** YOU APPLE!

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Alon Shechter said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Hackulous.

Come up with a cool name for a hacker group.
Right now, no cheating, just come up with a a name that everyone sees as "cool".
Anyways,
YEAH! F*** YOU APPLE!
The supreme league of ill doers?

Anyway kinda sad that it didn't even last a day.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Sevre said:
I don't like Apple or Pirates so I have inner conflict over who to support on this. Apple are too protectionist, Pirates have no sense of value(especially these ones). My remedy is to cheer for the winning side.
Ha. Hilarious man. Good strategy, in this instance I must adopt it as well.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Mackheath said:
OT: Not surprised in the slightest. The pirates will always find a way around security, no matter how strenuous or solid it is.
Or, in this case, nearly non-existent.

Seriously? Copying the signature and receipt from a free app?
Did developers really buy the "Apple products are completely secure" nonsense?

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
Mackheath said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Hackulous.

No, because most of them are bored 15 year old script kiddies that still think "i pwn j00 n00bs" is the way all folk on the 'Net speak.
15 year olds who can apparently hack brand new software made by the most protectionist company in the business in under a day...

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Sevre said:
Nah, in this case, you cheer for the more entertaining one.

It's hilarious how those pirates are basically giving Steve Jobs the finger.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Erana said:

It was released yesterday, so you know, not really much time to gain popularity.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Apple's "app store" business model is to offload due diligence for application vetting off their scared, naive, and lazy customer. In exchange for this service apple extracts 30%! of the value the customer pays to the developers.

In a phone environment I can almost understand because phone networks are more sensitive than terrestrial ones.

But the reality is if you own the hardware you should be able to run any damn thing you want on it without asking anyone's permission. They don't have to make it easy for you but "securing" the hardware against your customer's decisions and then hiding behind a eula is slimy.