Xbox Wii-Sixty?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Xbox Wii-Sixty?

A job posting for a new Microsoft studio has added further weight to the rumors that the company is working on motion controls for the 360

What do Nintendo and Sony have that Microsoft doesn't? Well, aside from Japanese headquarters and company names with the letter 'n' in them, the answer is motion-sensitive controls for their console. But is all that about to change?

With E3 lurking just around the corner, one of the most popular rumors doing the rounds on the net is that Microsoft will announce a new, motion-sensitive controller for the Xbox 360. That rumor got a further shot in the arm with a recent job listing at Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices division.

The listing reads:

Are you interested in shipping innovative games that will change the way people play? If so, we want you to join our team to work on an amazing next-generation project, built from the ground up, in Microsoft Game Studios. We are building a NEW GAME STUDIO from the ground up that will revolutionize both WHAT you play and HOW you play. You have the chance to get in on the ground floor and work with professionals responsible for some of the industry's greatest innovations to date. (Emphasis in the original.)
Now, to be fair, they might not be talking about motion-controls, but it's hard to think of anything else they could mean... unless it's something really out there like telepathy...

Oh My God! It's Telepathy! Flee the city!

Source: GameSpot [http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6210547/new-microsoft-studio-to-revolutionize-gameplay] via 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174459]

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
If all they bring to the next generation is motion controls, it's going to be another generation of grey, brown, and muzzle flash.

E3 has become groudhog day. If the motionsensitive controler shows up, expect six more years of "realism."

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Well, PS3 has sixaxis but everyone hates that.

Anyway, I really hope this doesn't happen, these things have turned into gimmicks.

Rascarin

Feb 8, 2009
Motionsensitive controllers is hardly "revolutionizing" anything. If thats what they're bringing to the table, then they've got a long way to go.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Well, PS3 has sixaxis but everyone hates that.

Anyway, I really hope this doesn't happen, these things have turned into gimmicks.
Quite so...as Yahtzee said...Wii-mote-waggle...no thanks, I don't want that for the Xbox.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
God I hope not. First they make me use those horrid avatars (which aren't Miis, of course /sarcasm), now they're going to make me be shaking my controller around in the air like a retard?

Why doesn't Microsoft just drop the 360 alltogether and start selling the Wii? It sounds like they'd be a lot happier that way.

But mind-controlled games, on the other hand, would be a lot more appealing...

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Personally I think that motion control has failed, I really don't know why Microsoft wants to jump on that bandwagon. I mean is there really anyone out there who'll buy a game just because it's got motion sensors?

Soulgaunt

Jan 14, 2009
What?! Telepathy, in the hands of the Xbox community!?!?
Hopefully now we can kill the dumbasses and play Halo in peace.......Oh wait, it's not telepathy. Motion censor controllers,though,Microsoft? Yes that's very original! Why I bet Sony and Nintendo could never think of something as clever! What shall we call it 360 aXis? Perhaps with a large, green "X"?

Leorex

Jun 4, 2008
ElephantGuts said:
God I hope not. First they make me use those horrid avatars (which aren't Miis, of course /sarcasm), now they're going to make me be shaking my controller around in the air like a retard?

Why doesn't Microsoft just drop the 360 alltogether and start selling the Wii? It sounds like they'd be a lot happier that way.

But mind-controlled games, on the other hand, would be a lot more appealing...
horrid avatars?
but yah, unless they are revolutionizing the motion controler, then they shouldnt even think about it.

cranstoun

Apr 9, 2009
I read recently that there was some form of motion capture technology similar to the pile of rubbish that was "You're in the Movies" except that this worked in 3 dimensions as opposed to just two. Maybe this is the sort of thing they could be working on? Stereoscopic video capture.....sounds rubbish if i'm being honest, but quite clever.

And there's already mind control stuff about, it works more on getting you to focus and move a ball on a magnetic board, you have to wear a head band but it's quite clever. There was something (again I can't remember where I read it) that was being developed which allowed a game to be controlled using you're mind again, except it was used on FPS's and controlled firing effectively giving you an edge on being able to fire faster.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
nilcypher said:
What do Nintendo and Sony have that Microsoft doesn't? Well, aside from Japanese headquarters and company names with the letter 'n' in them.
And it's those two things that make us better. Well mainly the 'n' thing.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Tenmar said:
Borrowing another idea but then again what would you expect from a software/investment company compared to a toy company.
Eh thats nothing new, Microsoft always likes to rip ideas from others..look at Apple for christ sakes. They have stolen/copied so many of their ideas, hell it's the only reason Microsoft keeps them around (being as they own a big chunk of apple so I have heard at least). This isn't surprising in the least.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
needausername said:
nilcypher said:
What do Nintendo and Sony have that Microsoft doesn't? Well, aside from Japanese headquarters and company names with the letter 'n' in them.
And it's those two things that make us better. Well mainly the 'n' thing.
The letter 'M' is more my thing. And I don't mean Microsoft, I mean MaxTheReaper. God I'm obsessive.
Thats... Well its... Strange...