Judd Apatow Scripting Knocked Up Spinoff

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Judd Apatow Scripting Knocked Up Spinoff

Two supporting characters from the 2007 film Knocked Up are returning to theaters in their own feature film.

Knocked Up introduced audiences to Pete and Debbie, supporting roles played by Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann. Mann's character was the sister of Katherine Heigl's Alison Scott, and Rudd portrayed Mann's fantasy baseball-playing husband. Writer and director Judd Apatow has decided to revisit this couple, making them the focus of a new feature film. Apatow told HitFix he's excited to bring more of this couple to life, saying, "People really responded to their characters and problems. I felt like there was a lot of ground I could explore with them."

The film will certainly be related to Knocked Up, as it focuses on characters and relationships established in that film, but will it be a sequel? A prequel? Apatow told HitFix, "It is neither. It is just a story from Pete and Debbie's current life," and promised to tease out more details as the film nears production.

The as-yet-untitled film marks Apatow's fourth as both writer and director; previously, he scripted and helmed The 40-Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, and Funny People. The spinoff is set to go into production this July, and will probably be released in June of 2012.

Source: HitFix [http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/judd-apatow-brings-paul-rudd-and-leslie-mann-back-together-for-new-film]

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up were pretty decent. Funny people not so much. Hopefully this movie is done as well as Knocked Up.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
cool. I love Judd and his whole crew. The kids were even funny in Knocked Up. It's one of my favorites.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Argh. This man is everything wrong with modern comedy.

I long for the comedies of Mel Brooks and Monty Python...

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
While I did like those movies, I don't think that this spin-off sounds all that good.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
jebussaves88 said:
Games.

This news post has no relevance to them.
Elizabeth Grunewald covers everything that's not games but still counts as "Escapism". Why don't you complain at the influx of "Spiderman: The Musical" news stories we've been seeing?

OT: Yet another film I'm not going to see, but a bunch of my dumb friends are going to beg me to see it. Thank you, Judd Apatow. Thank you.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
The Escapist is not the target audience for this film.

The vast majority of users here will (hopefully) not be interested in this. I'd never even heard of the guy though I recognise the name of one of the films.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
But how will it be funny if its not centered around a socially inept guy or layabout who goes on a journey of self discovery only to come full circle and realize that the things that he valued weren't that important after all, and there is more to life than [characters vice here]?

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Ne1butme said:
It probably doesn't hurt that Leslie Mann is married to Judd Apatow.
I imagine it does hurt being married to Judd Apatow imagine having to spend outr life with someone that unfunny. being put in his movies and getting a paycheck is the least he could do

OT Apatow films are all at least 30 minutes too long and sag loads in the middle. comedies should be funny from begining to end. See Spinal tap or Airplane or the Princess Bride

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Well, Knocked Up was really good. At least I thought so. But I'm not so much a fan of his other films, so it could go either way.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Meh, the formula's old, socially inept guy hot bitchy girl, they both have problems, they come together in the end, some balls are shown... yawwwn.

frans909

Aug 10, 2008
Knocked up was a good movie. Paul Rudd better watch out for over-exposure though. I'm getting kinda tired of seeing Seth Rogen in pretty much every new movie. Even the freaking Green Hornet.