Chinese Blog Leaks Video of PlayStation Phone in Action

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Chinese Blog Leaks Video of PlayStation Phone in Action

Sony's most recent worst-kept secret wasn't seen at CES, but it has been seen in China.

By this point, it seems like the only people who have nothing to say about the rumored it's reportedly being made there [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/playstation%20phone?from_search=1].

The device, which is branded as a part of Sony Ericsson's "Xperia" line, was benchmarked at a rather impressive 59.1 FPS in tests. IT168 also gave a full report on the phone's specs for all you tech-heads out there who care about that sort of thing:

[blockquote]*1,5000mAh battery
*854 x 480 resolution on a 4-inch LCD
*5 megapixel autofocus camera, LED flash
*512MB RAM, 512MB ROM
*microSD slot
*SIM slot
*micro-USB
*A second microphone for active noise cancellation[/blockquote]

Perhaps most interestingly of all, though, was that the PS Phone was seen running software called "PlayStation Pocket." Given the name, it seems almost blindingly obvious to say that this would be some sort of game service - though whether it'd be linked in to the PlayStation Network currently running on the PSP and PS3 remains to be seen. It's also possible that this could be Sony's proprietary version of Apple's App Store, but an Android software store already exists - at the moment, all we can do is speculate.

At this point, there's so much evidence in favor of the PlayStation Phone's existence that it's hard to say that any of these are rumors anymore. I mean, they could be false, but it seems very unlikely. The only thing we're waiting on is Sony's express confirmation and announcement - though why they missed the perfect venue this past week at CES 2011 is anybody's guess.

(Destructoid [http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/sonys-playstation-phone-gets-in-depth-preview-in-china-playsta/])

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I has a feeling the Chinese factory worker who made this video is going to end up "water boarding" if you know what I mean.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Am I the only person who does NOT want touch screen to be the only way to dial numbers? Assuming thats how you dial numbers and theres not some other slidey-outty part with the keypad

Spudgun Man said:
AHH! Modern N-Gage!
a little late to the party as you can say the majority of phones are now basically n-gages, handheld consoles that you can use as a phone.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
I know every time a phone comes out now someone says this, but: this looks like an iPhone killer. The specs are great, Android is the way to go, and being equivalent to a PSP doesn't hurt its case at all. If this is ever announced let alone released here I am definitely going to get this. The issue still is when Sony is going to get around to announcing it, it's not like no one knows about this thing.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I am going to assume this is true until Sony says otherwise. I mean, c'mon, how can you not given Sony's track record of keeping secrets, you know, secret?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I dunno, I have a hard time believing this. Micro SD? Micro USB? Since when does Sony listen to consumer feedback and use standard, easy to find stuff like that instead of their own in-house nonsense? If this is true, I think we'd all better ask Sony if they're feeling okay and if they'd like to lie down for a bit.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
If they make a non phone version I might be interested, although thinking about it I really don't use my PSP much these days.

Hum... ..probably not be worth buying till the 2nd or 3rd gen of it comes out.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Huh. It looks like the bastard offspring of a Droid and the PSP.
Not all that impressive really.

Razzmatazz

Jul 13, 2009
Are you guys crazzy? Thats freaking AWSOME!!!! make a call then maybe play a lil final fantasy hells ya!

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
icyneesan said:
Am I the only person who does NOT want touch screen to be the only way to dial numbers? Assuming thats how you dial numbers and theres not some other slidey-outty part with the keypad
No. I absolutely hate touch screens. We seem to be the minority, though.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
LightPurpleLighter said:
icyneesan said:
No. I absolutely hate touch screens. We seem to be the minority, though.
I am with you guys. Buttons FTW!!!

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
If those specs are right I can't see it being a success. The CPU isn't mentioned but I presume it'll be a 1GHz Snapdragon or Hummingbird or similar, in which case all you're looking at is a generic Android phone with a Playstation pad minus the analogue sticks, or to put it another way, a keyboard with significantly less keys.

Given that it's running on Android, I think Sony would be better off putting their games out across the whole platform, set up a Playstation marketplace on Android.

The Grim Ace said:
I know every time a phone comes out now someone says this, but: this looks like an iPhone killer. The specs are great, Android is the way to go, and being equivalent to a PSP doesn't hurt its case at all. If this is ever announced let alone released here I am definitely going to get this. The issue still is when Sony is going to get around to announcing it, it's not like no one knows about this thing.
I'm not really sure how you can say that? The specs are distinctly average for a modern smartphone and it's a completely different category of device. The slide out controller will make it the size and weight of your typical hardware keyboard smartphone and besides that, the Iphone's main selling point isn't gaming. It's ease of use and a million and one apps which are little more than mobile websites.

mjc0961 said:
I dunno, I have a hard time believing this. Micro SD? Micro USB? Since when does Sony listen to consumer feedback and use standard, easy to find stuff like that instead of their own in-house nonsense? If this is true, I think we'd all better ask Sony if they're feeling okay and if they'd like to lie down for a bit.
Sony Ericsson phones have used standard connectors and memory cards for quite a while now. Hell even the PS3 uses standard USB, Bluetooth and 2.5" hard drives.