First Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Details Leaked

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
First Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Details Leaked

[gametrailers=708368]

Bethesda's next Elder Scrolls game will nix classes, revamp leveling, and allow players to wield anything they want in each hand.

Gameplay details on Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Pc/dp/B004HYIAPM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1294511628&sr=8-1].

Gone is the maligned level scaling system from Oblivion, which caused enemies to level along with the player. Replacing it is one that the Skyrim senior community manager says is more "like Fallout 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-3-Game-Year-Pc/dp/B002BXKJA0/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1294512173&sr=1-1]." Fallout 3's system only boosts the levels of enemies in critical areas when players first enter, and keeps them that way for the rest of the game.

Leveling itself works in a similar manner to Oblivion, but Bethesda has nixed classes in favor of a system that is more open to allow for either specialization or a broad use of everything. There are 18 total skills, down from 21 in Oblivion. Using any skill levels both it and the player at the same rate. However, the higher in rank a skill is when it gains a level, the more quickly it will level the player. Gaining a level also gives a perk, in another apparent nod to Fallout.

The big news about Skyrim's combat comes from the addition of a new duel-wielding system. Any weapon or spell can now be assigned to each hand. Want a shield in your left and a sword in your right? Go ahead. How about a dagger in your right and a fireball in your left? How about a shield in your right and a heal spell in your left, to bore enemies to death? Apparently, anything is possible.

Skyrim is indeed set poem [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95699-Rumor-Next-Elder-Scrolls-Game-to-be-set-200-Years-After-Oblivion].

Along the way, Skyrim will throw a more dynamic quest system at players, with some quests only given to those with a certain level of skill in specific areas like magic or thievery. In addition, the player's decisions will affect the quests they can receive, with the family member of someone you killed possibly not wanting to give you a quest they otherwise would.

Skyrim will also feature a weapon creation system, an NPC dueling system, improved graphics, better character creation options, finishing moves, the ability to sprint, and more. In other words, probably just what Oblivion fans were looking for. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will be released on November 11, 2011.

Sources: NeoGAF [http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1156332-is-level-scaling-backnoooooooooooo/]

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I can dig it, tho I'd like classes as an option I just hope its not as poorly paced as Fallout 3, even Oblivion had issues with pace

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Yay looking forward to this.
Pitty theres no way I could get it for PC.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Totally doing an agile MageBlade.

Daggers and magic...My true loves. They rarely go together very well, though. With daggers having short reach, and mages being frail.

And I pray for the return of the Boots of Blinding Speed.

Generally, enemy scaling works really well for repeat playthroughs, when you already know your favorite dungeons and quests.

And having to grind up to a certain level of ability again, just makes repeat playthroughs a hassle at times.

This is the reason I played Oblivion so many times, with the full enemy scaling, there is nothing stopping me from running to my favorite haunts with a new character. I can head there right away, without being bothered by anything I can't handle. You still get a challenge from the boss enemies of dungeons.

The only real issue starts at higher levels of around 30. You combat skills cap at 100, and enemies will still get stronger with more health, even when you level through your Speechcraft skill, and you're still doing the same amount of damage.

For people who play one character, scaling can suck really bad and make the game into a wall that requires glitch/exploit abuse to make it through at higher levels.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Less skills is annoying, but everything else sounds interesting. I have no doubt it will be better then Oblivion. Maybe even Morrowind? well we'll see.

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
Sounds like they've been taking a few nods from the Oblivion mod community...

...I can get behind this.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
This looks absolutely awesome. It seems that they took the best of what they've done so far and mashed it all together. I'm so excited about this, why can't it be November already? =D

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
But..Will there be climbable ladders?

I'm not really excited for this game. I'll have to wait for more details and some videos to decide if I'll get it.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
I wonder if they'll put in a better system for switching between spells?

Ranchcroutons

Sep 12, 2010
Sweet Bioshock 2 style combat! Fire in one hand and primary weapon in the other! Also I had a nerdgasm because of the included picture.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Can your shield be used as a weapon? If so, I'm going to make the most difficult to damage character EVER.

Cyrin

Dec 24, 2008
No classes, sounds great. It would be nice to build an unrestricted character.

Less skills to invest in, that's somewhat sad to read. Hopefully the skills will have some deeper thought put into their uses.

I am very grateful to read that the world will no longer level with you.

I am still very skeptical of this game after playing Oblivion and dealing with its... issues.

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODYES.
My Top Hat agrees. (I'm still wearing it. Wore it to bed, too)

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
This sounds great! I might actually be really looking forward to this game :)

All that I could ask for is some sort of development system. Get land for the player to build and manage; houses like from oblivion, estates for grander houses and farmland, maybe even a town you can get rule over through a quest or something. I'd love to have that in the game.

Oh, and the ability to actually make your own weapons by actually mining and smithing things. T'would be an awesome thing to have.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
<3 Oblivion, I shall probably love this.
As long as the main quest is ACTUALLY SOMEWHAT LENGHTY THIS TIME.
Seriously, avoid sidemissions on Oblivion and you whiz through the main quest.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Nimbus said:
I wonder if they'll put in a better system for switching between spells?
Mousewheel up/down worked fine for me. At least in Morrowind.

I haven't played a mage on Oblivion on PC, yet.
Daystar Clarion said:
Does that mean I can dual wield bows? Like this?

I miss that comic...