Telltale's Jurassic Park Adventures Inspired by Heavy Rain

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Telltale's Jurassic Park Adventures Inspired by Heavy Rain

Telltale's Jurassic Park adventure games will be more action-oriented than the studio's previous titles.

Telltale Games recently acquired the permission to develop games based on Universal properties Sam & Max [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105832-Trailer-Telltales-Back-to-the-Future-is-Just-Like-the-Real-Thing], Jurassic Park has required the company to rethink how it creates adventure games.

A new feature in Game Informer has revealed that Jurassic Park only landed at Telltale Games because Universal didn't want another first-person shooter in the franchise. Still, Telltale Games' proven adventure game process doesn't exactly seem like a perfect fit for the suspenseful Jurassic Park either. Telltale realizes this, and is going above and beyond to develop something new for Jurassic Park: Episode 1.

Telltale's Jurassic Park will still feel like a Telltale adventure game, but with a bit more spice. Telltale has studied the films and believes that Jurassic Park must feature both slower-paced character building with the tense and terrifying experience of a dinosaur jumping out of a bush. To do so, Telltale is taking inspiration from Heavy Rain [http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Rain-Playstation-3/dp/B002CZ38KA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1294609420&sr=1-1].

Jurassic Park's gameplay is still being crafted, but executive director Kevin Boyle says players will experience moments where they must investigate or explore, which will be followed by tense portions that leave players scrambling and possibly performing Heavy Rain style inputs. Also similar to Heavy Rain, players will have some aspect of choice that will change Jurassic Park's story, though the system Telltale is implementing isn't nearly as open-ended.

Jurassic Park will technically be a sequel to the very first film, and will cover various unanswered plot points such as the missing can of dinosaur embryos that Newman [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newman_%28Seinfeld%29] lost after getting eaten. Part of the game will take place during the film, but from a different viewpoint. The exact role of the player hasn't been revealed yet, though players will encounter some familiar faces in addition to mercenaries and smugglers, and a new glowing-eyed nocturnal dinosaur threat.

Telltale's take on Jurassic Park doesn't have a release date yet, but is planned for a five episode series on PC and Mac.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/]

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
This is a nice surprise though I think a survival horrory JP game would be better suited.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
RabbiiFrystofsk said:
I'll continue playing Jurassic Park Operation Genesis.
Blargh you.

My Genesis won't work anymore.

OT: I love Jurassic Park, so I'll probably get this.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Ghengis John said:
So now when T-Rex eats somebody he's going to leave a paper crane behind?
HA! That made me giggle a bit.

Imagine that, Universal didn't want to make a first person shooter Jurassic Park. Smart move Universal.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
I was OMGYES'ing until I saw it was PC and Mac ... for five episodes. That made me sad.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
"Hey guys, how are we going to communicate the adventure, terror and sheer awesomeness of Jurassic Park to gamers everywhere?"
"... quick time events?"
"Perfect, let's go to lunch!"

And the curse of bad license games continues.
Hey! Heavy Rain was really good. At least to me.

OT: I'm excited about this. I was hoping the success of Heavy Rain would lead more publishers and developers to focus more on good story than in the past, and it seems this is the first step?

SendMeNoodz84

Jun 11, 2009
I've always thought a free roaming Survival/Action/Adventure Jurassic Park game should be made, where the focus should be set more on avoiding and evading the dinosaurs instead of confrontation.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Hmm, still doesn't sound very good to me. I'll just hope one of those JP mods for Crysis actually get released sometime...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
if it was anyone but telltale I would totaly dismiss it... ok telltale or relic or bioware or nintendo. but since it is one of those then Ill wait to see more before I decide its good or bad

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
SendMeNoodz84 said:
I've always thought a free roaming Survival/Action/Adventure Jurassic Park game should be made, where the focus should be set more on avoiding and evading the dinosaurs instead of confrontation.
Reminds me somewhat of the Snes game.

It was actually pretty good, for it's day...

Ironically, it switched from isometric (like zelda) when outdoors, and a sort of first person view indoors... (quite impressive considering it was the Snes)

(though running around trying to restore power while you have a bunch of raptors chasing you...)

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Well, good news for them. It wasn't open-ended in Heavy Rain either. You got one or two good endings and the rest were variations of a gigantic middle finger to the audience.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Genesis was fucking unreal. I never liked Theme Park World or any of those games, but JP was exactly what that genre needed to make a good game.

The embryos were hardly a questionable part of the plot. Obviously they would have simply died in the test tubes after being abandoned in the jungle. Still, this sounds interesting, too bad its not on the 360.

SendMeNoodz84

Jun 11, 2009
WanderFreak said:
SendMeNoodz84 said:
Basically if someone took Trespasser and, you know, made it right the first time it could actually be an awesome Jurassic Park game.

So much potential lost on that one.
Yeah, sorta like that, but third person. Also, without teh bewbz.